Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i hear that you can take a wagoneer dana 44 front axle and put chevy knuckles on it to have to switch over to 5x5.5 lugs..will this work and what year knuckles do i need? and would the rotors and stuff be the same year off that truck?

·
Registered
883 Posts
Wagoneer knuckles are pretty much the same as Chevy knuckles, so what's the point?

You need to make sure you have the proper spindle. It's the one used on Chevy and FS Jeeps through mid-1976. It's part number 706528X. Then you just use Ford Bronco bearings and hub/rotor assemblies. The spindle you want is the middle one in this picture:

http://partsmikeparts.com/spindles.jpg

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so its pretty easy then, chevy or fs spindles, bronco what yaer? hub rotors..and chevy calpiers? and not the wagonner? also are the wagonner u-joints a lot bigger than like a Ruby Dana44 or Dana30

·
Registered
883 Posts
The Chevy calipers and the Wagoneer ones are basically the same. The Bronco hub rotor assemblies are 1978-1985 or something like that. The 1986 ones a little different.

Wagoneer Dana 44s use the same size joint as the Rubi Dana 44, not the little ones that the CJ Dana 30 uses.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The Wagoneer axles use a 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern and that is the same as most of the older chevy str axle 4x4's the (6 lug) wheels will interchange.
I dunno if this will help or not but 6 lug wheels are everywhere....

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so in other words, i cant use a wagoneer 44 with out going to a 6 lug? i hate axles i just want a strong front axle that will work with 37's and to use in a TJ

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
prostock all you need is to see if you have the correct spindles along with the Ford wheelbearing hubs and rotors already mentioned. GM (Chevy) and Jeep 44 parts are readily interchangable so don't get hung up of Chevy vs Wagoneer). Go search the hardcore Jeep board for the correct recipe. It's been covered there a hundred times if it's been covered once. I know I've typed it out many times and really don't want to go over it again.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea thanks, i thinkin of just doing 60's and going full width

·
Registered
87 Posts
If you go to 60's you will have to go new wheels too (8 lug)
what is wrong with going to 6 lug? wheels are cheap!

I went with 3/4 ton axles on my junk HD D44/14bolt and 37's on hummer double beadlocks, when I upgrade the front to a D60 I will not have to change wheels again. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts