Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent the early part of the morning at the Grand Staircase...

The a bit at the Waterfall...

We eventually ended up at Little Blue...

And finally on the side of the road...

...where my tranny puked... *sigh*... Oh well. It survived 92K miles and I've wheeled it pretty rough. Regularly tows a 4000 lb. travel trailer.... Has towed a mommy car across the country - including the continental divide. UHauled a trailer across the country... All in all not too bad...

I'm actually relieved it happened. Now I won't be wondering IF or WHEN it's gonna happen... AND.. with our April Moab trip coming up - I got the "hurt" done and overwith...

More Here:

http://www.solidaxle.net/Disney_03_16_2003_Big_Meat_Run/index.htm

·
Registered
570 Posts
Nice pics!! You got any more of that red buggy in the first pic? How about some specs and who owns it?? And while Im askin how about some close ups and specs of your dodge? I like it!

Thanks Chris

·
Registered
301 Posts
Great Pics. I can sympathesize witht the tranny ordeal. I lost the tranny in my tow rig 20 miles west of Joplin (3 hours from home) in november.

Did Russ run with them in the hornet?

John

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Am I getting my tranny fixed before Moab??

Absofriggenlutely... Not gonna cancel my 9 day vacation for anything! And without it, hard to drag that 4000 lb travel trailer over the Vail pass!!

Did Russ run his Hornet?

Yup. Just like always. Up, down, over and done... 2 secs flat.

Specs on the red rock buggy?

Dunno him personally. Tons of people there today. Saw plates from TX, AR, OK, MO and maybe a few more.

Specs / pics of the Durango?

Try my website. I've got specs and pics of wheeling trips.. Even a few comparisons between when I had IFS lift and the swap. But most of the wheeling pics are of other people... Kinda always turns out that way huh?

http://www.solidaxle.net/durango_conversion/

·
Registered
720 Posts
How did the tractor tires do on the rocks?

·
Registered
811 Posts
I was riding with a buddy last year in CLayton, OK with a group that included that orange and green beast.

there was really long steep muddy hill, that dead ended on private property at the bottom, a couple of trucks nearly rolled trying to get down, about 10 were winched back up, 2 or 3 finally clawed back to the top, and then that green/orange thing..

holy shit, he was giving it hell, several minutes at 4000+ RPM, smokein those big tires everyone was running this way and that since he would slip then grab and lurch everywhere, finally shut it down because the header got so hot it melted a poly bushing on engine mount i think, it was on fire, flames/smoke all that, he calmly got out and doused it with fire extinguisher.
then climbed back in and fired it off, and continued up the hill! it was bad ass.

he did bend a rear axle locating link/arm and had a hard time getting back to camp, he was crabbing pretty bad at dirt road speed.

it was one hell of a show though, I wish I had the video camera for that one

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
350 Samurai said:
I see my long lost cousin was there. :flipoff2:
LOL, I thought that was your rig in the thumbnail! Then I clicked on the picture and thought "there is more than one of these things out there??!!" :laughing:

·
Registered
163 Posts
The guy with the red buggy is Burt Taylor, he is now building them for those that want it. The rig is absolutely awesome, Burt does great work. Email me at [email protected] if you want his phone number.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Gawd Damn, Anyone hiring fabricators or machinists in OK? I need to move down there bad. I think I would fit in, and im looking for a new job anyway.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
SpiderZuk said:
The guy with the red buggy is Burt Taylor, he is now building them for those that want it. The rig is absolutely awesome, Burt does great work. Email me at [email protected] if you want his phone number.
yup i just live down the street from burt...cool guy! one thing i dont like about his buggy is that his upper links are like 20" and lowers are like 50"

specs...vortec 350, turbo 400 (i think), 205, rockwells and 44" boggers.

looks killer

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Flipper said:
How did the tractor tires do on the rocks?
I don't know about anyone else.. But I was thoroughlyl un-impressed. The sidewall wasn't tall enough and didn't flex enough to do anything with the rock. He had a lot of trouble in places I wouldn't have expected.

Originally posted by Jeepmangled87
no picks, of casey or mark??
Here's one of Mark's rig:

http://www.solidaxle.net/Disney_03_16_2003_Big_Meat_Run/pages/105-0594_IMG.htm

In the morning, Casey spent a bit of time with the Petersen's lady... :eek: Hmmmm.. Then I didn't see them much for the rest of the day?? :flipoff2:

Actually, just sooo much going on all at the same time. I'm sure there'll be more as others get theirs online.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts