Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I've got a CO2 tank and I'd like to make a source for air. Has or does anyone know what's needed to make it work? I know Power Tank makes a kit fot it but I think it uses scuba tanks and I don't have $200. Are they any different from tanks used for welding for example? Any help would be great.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
There is 300 + pages of posts containing "power tank" on this BBS

to answer your question;

Hey I've got a CO2 tank and I'd like to make a source for air.

Yes it will work.

Has or does anyone know what's needed to make it work?

An air valve.

I know Power Tank makes a kit fot it

You could buy that kit..... Or build the same kit yourself.

but I think it uses scuba tanks and I don't have $200.

No I dont think it uses scuba tanks. They are just plain air tanks. Nothing special.

Are they any different from tanks used for welding for example?

They are just like water fire extinguser tanks. In fact that would work. Your only talking about like up to 175psi here. Not 3000 like a scuba tank.

Any help would be great.

Your welcome, that way you dont have to wade threw all the search pages.... It gets to be a waste of time.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Bert, 175psi ? my CO2 hold something like 900psi or so.

You can use a regulator for a nitrogen tank. Go to your local welding supply shop and they can help you. I used a CO2 tank that they use for fountain drinks. Works great.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Bert said:
There is 300 + pages of posts containing "power tank" on this BBS

to answer your question;

Hey I've got a CO2 tank and I'd like to make a source for air.

Yes it will work.

Has or does anyone know what's needed to make it work?

An air valve.

I know Power Tank makes a kit fot it

You could buy that kit..... Or build the same kit yourself.

but I think it uses scuba tanks and I don't have $200.

No I dont think it uses scuba tanks. They are just plain air tanks. Nothing special.

Are they any different from tanks used for welding for example?

They are just like water fire extinguser tanks. In fact that would work. Your only talking about like up to 175psi here. Not 3000 like a scuba tank.

Any help would be great.

Your welcome, that way you dont have to wade threw all the search pages.... It gets to be a waste of time.

wow you know how to be a smat ass but you are that smart:flipoff2:

flimmy said:
Bert, 175psi ? my CO2 hold something like 900psi or so.

You can use a regulator for a nitrogen tank. Go to your local welding supply shop and they can help you. I used a CO2 tank that they use for fountain drinks. Works great.
no it more like 2200psi and then it is regulated down to a usable pressure like 90-100psi

cliff

·
Premium Member
9,561 Posts
wow you know how to be a smat ass but you are that smart:flipoff2: ...
...no it more like 2200psi and then it is regulated down to a usable pressure like 90-100psi

Let's see if I got this right -- you corrected the previously-correctly corrected correction with an incorrect correction, accompanied by an attempted-but-missed smack (is that an air-smack?)?

Well, in a nutshell -- THAT was a swing and a miss. :shaking: :rolleyes: :shaking:

A few points:
* Power Tank uses aluminum cylinders that are service-rated for 1800 psi.
* Actual cylinder pressure of the C02 gas over the liquid in containment is 700-800 psi (depends on temperature)
* The Power Tank regulator is adjustable from 0-150psi.
* The spec you posted is close to what you'd want to run an ARB.

Thanks for playing, and we have some fine consolation prices backstage... :p

Randii

·
Registered
216 Posts
Randii you beat me to it
CO2 is a liquid and to stay a liquid it needs to maintain a pressure of about 800 psi thats why when you let it out it turns into a gas.
If you were talking about scuba tanks you were much closer my aluminum tanks are filled to 2500 psi and yes the reg brings it down to about 100psi

If anybody is interested I have a few old steel scuba tanks if any body wants them for some pepsi I think I have 5 out in the shed.
Don't ask me if you can install a valve to run CO2 because I don't know.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
e cliff said:

wow you know how to be a smat ass but you are that smart:flipoff2:

no it more like 2200psi and then it is regulated down to a usable pressure like 90-100psi

cliff
Cliff , nitrogen runs at up to 3000psi and like posted above CO2 is 800-900 psi. We use nitrogen at work and if it wasn't at such a high pressure I'd be using it (free :D). But because it's at that high of a pressure it's not as safe as CO2.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
air tank

Thanks Guys, I don't do searchs because the achive is SO big that it'd take absolutly for-ever to look thru everything. It's much easier to take some heat from guys who feel like they must give everyone shit. I don't have time to wait for my slow ass computer to loud 300+ pages while I'm poaching the internet at work. Thanks again

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
flimmy said:

Cliff , nitrogen runs at up to 3000psi and like posted above CO2 is 800-900 psi. We use nitrogen at work and if it wasn't at such a high pressure I'd be using it (free :D). But because it's at that high of a pressure it's not as safe as CO2.
Correct me if I am wrong, but most of the high end paint-ball guys run nitrogen rather then CO2. Safe enough to run around with and bang against rocks and such, should be safe strapped to your cage.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
I don't know anything about paintball guns but the nitrogen cyl's we have a work are too big to strap to the cage. I guess I could get a smaller tank but it only cost $10 to get my 20# tank filled and I have only had it filled 3 times in the last yr.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
really it was only 2 because I gave my second tank to a friend in our club for the cost of getting it filled.:) and it's still not empty yet.

·
Registered
16,673 Posts
As an FYI, the Advance Air (Powertank) regulators are spec'd to run at 8CFM all day without freezing up. They can also (possibly) be had for cheaper than new if you call and ask if they have any refurbished ones. I got one for ~$45.

Bryan

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
flimmy said:

in equally sized containers would the high psi nitrogen in a gaseous form provide more volume than the co2 in a liquid form?

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
One of the regs. I use is rated at 6300SCFH (105SCFM) and the other is 1500SCFH (25CFM) so I don't think 8 SCFM is going to be a problem for a reg. with a steel diaphragm without freezing up.

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
R O said:

in equally sized containers would the high psi nitrogen in a gaseous form provide more volume than the co2 in a liquid form?
My 20# CO2 tank is 7.5" x 22" and stores 168 Cubic Feet of CO2. A similar size N2 tank would would be considered a 55 Cubic Foot tank. Remember we are comparing Apples to Oranges here. Change of state for the CO2 and Boyles Law for the N2.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
rckjeep

Glad I could help you out.

I was assuming that you were going to only put air into the tank.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts