Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I too have been getting way too much spatter and beleive it is the wire. So I am looking for some sugestions from people that have a brand that has been working good for them. Cheap is not what I am after. If it is $3 a pound then fine. I do allot of welding for people and they expect a good job as do I and the amount of spatter I have been getting makes me sick.

·
Registered
7,957 Posts
66CJdean said:
I too have been getting way too much spatter and beleive it is the wire. So I am looking for some sugestions from people that have a brand that has been working good for them. Cheap is not what I am after. If it is $3 a pound then fine. I do allot of welding for people and they expect a good job as do I and the amount of spatter I have been getting makes me sick.
Barnes welding supply.....They have one in sac on Power Inn and in roseville somewhere...

916 456 2478

That is the sac store, i buy all my welding stuff from these guys.

·
Registered
32,458 Posts
I've been happy with the hobart e70-s6

·
Registered
657 Posts
Let me check with my father-in-law who makes his reputation and living doing much the same - the very best high quality small production shop... Does custom work for some of the mining equipment, Bobcat and lots of private jobs - even got offers to do some of the mission critical stuff for the F-22...

Matt

Edit: Forgot to ask what gas are you using - Mastermix??? other???

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do run C-25 gas so I am not looking for a flux core.
Let me know Willys what you come up with.
Barns you say Zuk. Thanks. Damm I'll just have make a run to Blue Collar:D

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I just started using Lincoln SuperArc wire. WOW! this stuff is great. I thought the Lincoln rep was just jerking our chain untill he let us demo some. You coild tell the difference immediately. Much less spatter and awsome puddle control. I bought a spool of .035 and run it with C25. I highly recomend it.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I looked at it with the like postd above. It looks like something to try. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
I can ask one of the fitters.
I was once told to spray the work with Pam, it would keep the spatter from sticking. I have never tried it my self.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The stuff is all blasted clean and I need them to stay clean because I primer it all once I am done so I don't want to spray on anti splat stuff.
It looks like I need to get some L-56.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks like Barnes is the Sh!t. Other places wanted $1.68a # but they quoted $1.34.
Thanks

·
Registered
657 Posts
Sorry for the lag

But yet another vote for L-56; and I quote:

Matt: There are many good wires available- I happen to use LINCOLN L-56 for general Mild Steel applications. I suggest using a C-25 [75% Argon, 25% CO2] Shielding Gas for short-circuit MIG/GMAW welding. With this wire & gas combination, spatter will be minimal if you use proper Volt & IPM [wire speed] settings. Straight Carbon Dioxide gives less acceptable results, producing more spatter & wasted wire; the welding arc in CO2 is also somewhat less stable, with a tendency to promote "cold-lap" , and has a less attractive bead appearance. If for some reason you were to want to use the "Spray-arc" mode of wire transfer, you would need to use a gas with at least 87% Argon. I use O-5 [95% Argon, 5% Oxygen] for Spray-arc.

Another gas choice for .035 short-circuit welding on mild steel is a product called Stargon [90% Argon, 8% CO2, 2% Oxygen], it has the effect of inputting more heat to the weld zone.
I actually prefer it to C-25.

Ray

Have fun now that you need to try another gas too :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
Hey dean, next time you drive in town you can burn some of my L-56 i like it, Its only hooked to a Miller 175 but its good enough.
Besides, you help help crequite my links

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There was one other vote for Hobart wire. Thanks for all the input everyone.

·
Registered
583 Posts
No on the Hobart, I am running a spool of it right now. I just welded the centers I got from you in yesterday, and while painting today I was thinking what the hell. i have spatter everywhere. It is .030 wire, but the spatter is everywhere, and I mean everywhere.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts