Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To build something like this. 16ft of deck and 64sf of living space plus a bunk in the goose neck. 2-5200# axles. What do you think. Any recommendations for builders in CA.

Attachments

·
Registered
728 Posts
I just saw a picture of that in this forum.... Maybe get in contact with him....

·
Registered
729 Posts

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is kind of the general idea but I'm hoping to get something I dont have to worry about falling off the trailer. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
740 Posts
why not just get a cabover camper and a standard trailer? Easier than having such a long trailer.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
woody99 said:
why not just get a cabover camper and a standard trailer? Easier than having such a long trailer.
Because I don't like tilt'n hiltons and with the short box extra cab PDS I think it would handle better.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I agree most cabover campers are way heavy... Sneak preview of my latest project. my aluminum cabover camper that sits on the bed rails. Should be less than 500 pounds once I put on the fiberglass skin.

You can get one of these though... Not sure on the $$

from http://www.thorca.com/thorhome/home.htm

Attachments

·
Premium Member
108,049 Posts
woody99 said:
I agree most cabover campers are way heavy... Sneak preview of my latest project. my aluminum cabover camper that sits on the bed rails. Should be less than 500 pounds once I put on the fiberglass skin.

You can get one of these though... Not sure on the $$

from http://www.thorca.com/thorhome/home.htm
Nice but I hope you're running light rig. That thing has a 4100# carrying capacity. Substract from that any water, food, and stuff you're carrying and you'll quickly run out of capacity for a rig. It's really meant for hauling sand buggies and quads. The back end is only a 14' deck.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
I looked at a "pack rat" in Sacto and the build quality has horrifying.

I have gone over this in my head a million times. There is a market for someone to build a nice trailer that a crawler can fit into, and have some shelter that isnt a million dollars or built like crap.

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
"automate" in los banos will build just about any theing you want they specialize in custom 5th wheels

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
I have been toying with the same idea. I was thinking of buy a decent light duty 20' or so fithwheel and building a heavy duty trailer underneath it with a 14-16"deck on the back. There are tons of trailer manufactures in the central valley, I know of a good one in Bakersfield but I dont know if they do any projects like that.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
i just bought a horse trailer yesterday to build something just like this. i was planning on buying a gooseneck and just putting my slide in on itlike in the picks but i found this horse trailer with living qurters for a price i could not pass up. it already had a sink, stove, oven, fridge, table, and bed in it. it also has provisions for a/c but it has been removed. it's going to take some work to make it into what i want but after doing some measuring i have it figured out. it'll just be alot more handy than loading up the slide in.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
here is the trailer i bought. i got most of the back part cut off today. my cruiser has a width of 83" out side of tire to out side of tire. the horse trailer has narrower axles than my 16ft flatbed so i am going to build ramps over the fender fenders. the front tires will actually ride on the ramps/fenders. i am going to have to widen each side of teh trailer 6" on each side but only behind the wheels. i will also need to lengthen it 1ft. the hore trailer rides kinda low so i plan on shortening the deck that is already there adn then adding a deck ontop of where the current deck. i can build in my 1ft extention into it. anyway here are the pic's of what i am starting with

Attachments

·
Hophead
77,719 Posts
Thats pretty cool, I'll have to keep that in mind in future. Hell my Samurai could probably fit inside of it as is :)

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Joe_W said:
Thats pretty cool, I'll have to keep that in mind in future. Hell my Samurai could probably fit inside of it as is :)
you are probably right. it is 79" tall and if i rememebr right 72" wide

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
High5 said:
it's a good start at what i wanted and i got it for only $2,000
update pics whats it look like now :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts