Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed in one way or another that is why I thought I would post here. I have read most of the stuff on converting to fuel incjection but nothing really written for dummies.

Does anybody have or has anybody converted a 350 to use a junkyard TBI. What I would like would be something along the lines of

Go to junk yard and find this car. Pull out all wiring and TB and whatever else. Install on old 350.

Something like that. I know it will be slightly more difficult then that ie install oxygen sensor, vss maybe, don't forget "this" from doner car.

thanks,

arndog

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
It's pretty much as you describe:

Go to junkyard. Find truck with 87-92 EFI 350 (TBI)

Pull complete wiring harness, distributor, coil, throttle body (with injectors, TPS and IAC), Sensors (o2, CTS, knock, oil pressure switch, ignition module, knock module, fuel pump relay, vss, MAP ) computer, ALDL connector and check-engine light.

You'll need to get or have machined an adapter to mate the TB to your (prob 4 bbl square bore) intake.

You'll need gaskets for the adapter and TB, new elec fuel pump and lines, fuel filter, cap, rotor, wires, sparkplugs.

As to how to install it you can either:

A) be extremely patient and wait for me to finish and complete the article - but not till this freakin winter's over.

B) Go to Painless Wiring's site and download the instruction for their kit which is great, and is essentially what you'll be doing.

Also - start reading:
http://www.rightcoastcrawler.com/billaVista/Misc_Pics/bookmark.htm

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
im in the process of putting a complete TBI motor in...i don't really have to figure out anything...just need to know which wires i need to use (accessories and such). I have the stock harness complete and everything, but what doess VSS stand for and what does it do...is it a sensor, what kind of sensor is it and what will it tell you. Im assuming you need to use the VSS, where on the harness can i locate the VSS to know what it looks like.

thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
VSS - Vehicle Speed Sensor. For my application - 95 350 Tbi into a 86 CJ, it would screw into the trasfer case where the speedo cable goes. I am hearing that I don't need it. I guess the only thing it does is tell the computer to lean the mixture at highway speeds. They are about 85.00 from Howell. - A Howell guy told me I don't need it.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
price wise, it's not much different than purchaseing a running TBI motor...

see my writeup in the tech section of ih8mud.com

also see Texican's writeup in the Pirate Cruiser forum - he's installing TBI on a Cruiser I-6.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
mrtwstr said:
www.JagsThatRun.com
Buy the book, read it. It will explain everything you need to know.
I bought the book...didn't do crap IMO. Learned twice as much online and by studying/understanding the wiring diagrams.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
I bought the book...didn't do crap IMO.

That's funny, maybe you skipped the part where I said read the book.
That book is an excellent sorce for information!!!!!!! If you are doing a TBI conversion it has all the info you will need to do it and get the correct parts to make it right.
The only thing it doesn't go into is the mods to make it work on an older engine.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
mrtwstr said:
That's funny, maybe you skipped the part where I said read the book.
funnier....I read too...and wasn't impressed with the information in the book nearly as much as the information I gleaned from off the net or from the wire diagrams I pulled during my install.

Glad you enjoyed it...I did not.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
woody said:

funnier....I read too...and wasn't impressed with the information in the book nearly as much as the information I gleaned from off the net or from the wire diagrams I pulled during my install.

Glad you enjoyed it...I did not.
I got duped into buying it too... about the only useful in it was some fuel filter numbers and the fact that a 280z fuel pump works. aside from that:mad:

I learned MUCH more from the diy-efi mailing list, the factory service manuals and other people. forget the book, MUCH better sources elsewhere.

and it really does not cover sh1t, mostly pimping their products and other books and blasting people who wrote complaint(albeit poor grammar and speeling) letters. the only reason I have not thrown it away is b/c I scribbled the VIN number of the donor car down in it when I pulled my motor...

-Brett

·
Registered
873 Posts
you can take the intake off the donor motor too...it will bolt in place if you can elongate the inner holes on each side. I have seen people use anything from hand drills to vert mills.

for a fuel pump use a delco...fuck the aftermarket pumps. you might want to upgrade the fuel lines as well carb lines are too small for efi. last, a carb engine doesn't have a baffled gas tank, which means that during fuel slosh the fuel pump will suck air.

Just some things to consider...

·
Registered
797 Posts
woody said:
also see Texican's writeup in the Pirate Cruiser forum - he's installing TBI on a Cruiser I-6.
FWIW, Texican's TBI is going on a 350.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I installed a complete tbi454 in my truck last month with one of the Painless harnesses. The harness made the EFI conversion easy and most importantly reliable. The factory harness I pulled with the motor had a lot off half ass shit done to it. You only need to install the sensors billavista mentioned to get it running(plus Idle air control, throtle position sensor). To get it to run in closed loop you will also need a brake switch(12+ when brakes are off), a park nuetral switch, and a VSS. Good luck.

Charlo

1 - 14 of 14 Posts