Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at threads on doing the YJ spring conversion for my '54 cj. Starting in the front, if what I'm reading is right. About 45" total length, center pin so 22.5 inches from axle locating pin to hanger hole - doesn't that put the front hanger a few inches in front of the frame?

I'd like to avoid extending the frame. Although, now that I think about, I might have to anyway to get a Saginaw box in there. Maybe I should look at that.

·
blatant asshole
11,829 Posts
Thats what things like boomarang shackles and weld on bushing mounts are for.

You didnt say what size tires you want to run. Do you need the axle forwards to clear fender?

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
I've been looking at threads on doing the YJ spring conversion for my '54 cj. Starting in the front, if what I'm reading is right. About 45" total length, center pin so 22.5 inches from axle locating pin to hanger hole - doesn't that put the front hanger a few inches in front of the frame?

I'd like to avoid extending the frame. Although, now that I think about, I might have to anyway to get a Saginaw box in there. Maybe I should look at that.
It does. But as mentioned, your shackle takes care of that. When I did mine years ago, I did not lengthen the frame at all. I made my own spring shackle mount using 2 inch square tubing and some 1.75 round DOM. I made it in such a way that it put the pivot point as far forward as possible. Foe the rear mount I used 76 and up CJ spring mount. They are cheap and the have a tab that centers the mount on the frame rail. Easy.

I'm sure they are vendors that sell a nice spring shackle mount for cheap. Try Ruff Stuff. For a couple bucks, it will save you a ton of time fabbing up a mount.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the info. I didn't realize boomerang shackles were even a thing.

I'm going to put 31's on it.

So, use the Rough Stuff fully offset shackle hangers in front as far as i can get them, locate the axle pin in the same location (or maybe a little forward), and then put the rear hanger where it needs to go (which should be about 2" back)?

But, I'd love to see a picture of that.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
Thanks for the info. I didn't realize boomerang shackles were even a thing.

I'm going to put 31's on it.

So, use the Rough Stuff fully offset shackle hangers in front as far as i can get them, locate the axle pin in the same location (or maybe a little forward), and then put the rear hanger where it needs to go (which should be about 2" back)?

But, I'd love to see a picture of that.
Yep - pretty much.

Not sure if i have a picture of my YJ set up. But I'll look.

·
Premium Member
3,395 Posts
Jeepdude_Jay---read the first post and you can see that the mounts for the springs needs to be in front of the bumper, so unless the rest of us here are not getting the complete picture on this it would seem the boomerang shackle is exactly what he needs to help clear the front bumper. Why do you think it won't work? Curious to know your thoughts.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, walk me through the math, or how I can do the math without having the springs actually here. You're supposed to do this at full bump, how do I simulate full bump?

The stock springs are 36 1/4" eye to eye (not sure if that's straight or along the curve of the spring, but the OME YJ springs are 45 5/8" along the spring eye to eye (let me know if I have any of this wrong).

So, how do I do the math to make sure if I use the Rough Stuff shackle hangers in front

https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/WBHGR.html

And boomerang shackles that I won't be moving the axle back?

·
Premium Member
3,395 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
So, walk me through the math, or how I can do the math without having the springs actually here. You're supposed to do this at full bump, how do I simulate full bump?

The stock springs are 36 1/4" eye to eye (not sure if that's straight or along the curve of the spring, but the OME YJ springs are 45 5/8" along the spring eye to eye (let me know if I have any of this wrong).

So, how do I do the math to make sure if I use the Rough Stuff shackle hangers in front

https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/WBHGR.html

And boomerang shackles that I won't be moving the axle back?
I'm running stock YJ springs with a full length add-a-leaf, V8 engine weight, my spring hangers are 43.75" apart with a 21* shackle angle. Decide where you want your axle center, the fixed spring hanger will be 22.5" from that.

·
Premium Member
3,395 Posts
You should call BDS because if I recall they will fit cj2a, Cj3a, CJ3b and the MB's. I talked to them a couple of times 10 yrs or so ago, because I was going to put their kit on my cj2a. But maybe things have changed, but I'd still call them to make sure, but only if you want to explore this route.

·
Registered
11,080 Posts
You should call BDS because if I recall they will fit cj2a, Cj3a, CJ3b and the MB's. I talked to them a couple of times 10 yrs or so ago, because I was going to put their kit on my cj2a. But maybe things have changed, but I'd still call them to make sure, but only if you want to explore this route.
CJ5 uses different spring lengths.

·
Premium Member
3,395 Posts
Well if he's planning on moving spring mounts then this wouldn't matter and he wouldn't have to worry about the one mount being past the bumper unless he wants to move his axle way forward. I could've sworn when I talked to them their kit fit the earlier willys, but it's been quite some time since I did talk to them so I could be wrong and maybe I had already cut off my mounts and were putting new ones on, so their kit would've worked for me.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
You might look at the front Wagoneer springs. The center pin is offset two inches so you could run the short side forward. That is what I used at the recommendation of others. I think Defbob did the same. Difference is custom built frame versus stock.

·
Registered
170 Posts
On my 3B, used YJ RE 1445's, reverse eye, SOA, reverse shackle. Did have to extend frame 2", which also helped with clearance for the steering box, pitman and crossover linkage. I used Rough Stuff front hangers that are cantilevered to get the max length out front. And used WFO spring plates that have offset center pin holes to move the axle forward 1". I ran the rear shackle through the frame to minimize height. The SOA conversion ended up with zero height gain.

Jeep rides great, good flex.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all that information. That's what I needed to know. Nice looking rig. It sounds like I can't do YJ springs without stretching the frame, But 2" isn't a lot.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Another option is to run a set of fatty rear springs up front. No frame extension needed. You relocate the shackle mount to the front of the frame and move the spring hanger back one length.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
If I remember right, the shackle mounts on the frame are 44 inches apart, center of hole to center of hole. When I did mine I measured a stock YJ and that's exactly the distance there. I am also running the reverse eye rubicon express springs and have been very happy with them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts