Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i think i broke it ....i was tryinng to roll a swift on to its side and the winch stalled ive never been able to stall before.......

now with no load what soever it stalls and the selnoid clicks......

i tightened the cables same thing click click click..............

anybody have any ideals about what went wrong.......

ive never worked any thing like this so i dont know where to start...

i dont even know the weak points of this particular winch.......

but it looks like im gonna find out.........................:(

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
A buddy of mine had this happen. He did it trying to snatch my Toy with his HS9500I. BTW: We knew this was a bad idea in advance, but it's all we had, and didn't realize the potential damage it could inflict...
Never, never, ever, EVER, EVER snatch with the winch cable.

He had a little discussion with Warn tech support...
What happens is that the brake either slips, or else is wedged against the inside of the drum so tight that nothing can move. Neither is a good thing. You either fawk up the brake, the drum, or the motor. He screwed up the motor.

It sounds like in your scenario, that you were bumping the motor to reel in a little, then a little more with another bump, and so on to slowly tug the swift over. At some point the brake was probably overpowered, suddenly reversing the direction the motor spun. Motors don't like this. In fact, the tend to get fried.

Pull your winch apart (Need a diagram of it? Go here):
http://extranet.warn.com/internetApps/ReplacementParts.nsf/findpart?OpenForm&SRWinches

If the motor is fried, simply call Warn up and tell them what happend. Since the brake was overpowered in my friends scenario, he got a new motor from them, and put it on. Good as new. :D

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
winch is ok

it looks like i burnt a fuseable link at the alternator ........
so im gonna pull it off the 85 and the 88 wikk be back up.....

ive done some hard pulls in the past with the winch and never had a problem .....it looks like i just hit the link hard 1 to many times

1 - 4 of 4 Posts