Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
"All Weeee Drive!"
12,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What do you guys know about them? (I did search).

My neighbor wants to sell me one.
He's had it since the late 70s, it's been sitting for a while.
He says the cable has 200ft, which I find hard to believe.
It does have a broken lever for one of the controls (just above the brake), but he says he has replacement for it...
Controls on this thing are in the cab, & he says it spools "Fast" with no load.

What do you guys think, & what's it worth?

Pix:

·
"All Weeee Drive!"
12,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So Bob, is the 5687 the same as the 5721?
Is it the 6k vs 8k?

PS-I did see that page, but I didn't see a reference to 5721 until I clicked on the gif...

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Since I don't feel like typing it all again, but I do feel like helping you out... here's every hit on "tntoy" posting "5687". Some of these miught seem a little weird outta context... but here goes.

From: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=107326&highlight=5687
Lance has it. It's porobably a warn 5687, upgraded with an 8274 solenoid pack, brake assembly, and motor.

Okay... mspaint time.

1) The clutch lever was a rod sticking out of the case, winch had a ~6" lever attached to it, and the lever had a pivot point (purple) on the side of the winces case. The other end of that bar was attached to a huge parking brake style cable (green& turquoise)that ran to a T-handle in the dash... and was controlled from inside the cab. It's like rigging a parking brake to an 8274 clutch.

2) EVERYTHING on the oringinal winch was run by 3 cables in the dash. First was that clutch. The motor was the second thing. Pulling on the cable operated a fatty switch (sperate from the winch, usually installed under the hood). It simply turned the motor on and off. No power-out. Your winch appears to have an 8274 3-wire (Guessinghere) motor, so it now has a standard warn remote, and will power both in and out.

3) The third control made this winch SUCK. Picture this: Replace the ratchet disc on the side of your winch with a smooth wheel. Around the outside of this wheel was a sheetmetal band that the third cable snugged against the wheel. This was your brake. You can guess how well it works.

Again, your winch appears to either be a later model than the 5687 with it's band-style POS brake... or it was upgraded to an 8274 ratchet/disc brake at some point.

If the brake and solenoid/motor work, that's a good little winch. Especaially now that it has no gay cable controls, and will power out. I will say that the in-cab clutch operation would be kind of nice, though. I doubt I'm the only one that's run the cable, hopped behind the wheeil, and discovered they forgot to lock the clutch back in.
From: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66534&highlight=5687
The old 5687 Warns were POWER-IN only... feespool out, power in. They had drum brakes on the side (a smooth wheel with a metal band 'brake' wrapped a round the outside of it). They also hade motors with only two wires. I even tried connection power to the termials backward (+ to the - terminal and vice versa) and it still powered in.

The 8274 will have a ratchet-looking brake on the side, and 3 wires running to the motor. They're all equipped with power in, power out, and freespool modes. I have no clue about the 8074s system - I have never seen one, and don't particulary fancy posting unconfirmed hearsay on the BB.
Hows that for starters? Apparently you have a different model, but it's info on an old warn for you. :)

·
"All Weeee Drive!"
12,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TNToy said:

Hows that for starters? Apparently you have a different model, but it's info on an old warn for you. :)
Thanks, I actually began reading it earlier today......

I need someone who has one of these to post a comment...

How much is it worth?
(Seller wants $300).

·
Registered
665 Posts
I wouldn't give more than $50-$100 max.

You can get a newer used 8k winch for
about $350. real Jeep Man has a
great Ramsey one for sale in the other forum. a hundred times better!

I personally have two of these winches.
the drum brake only works if you have
gorilla arms to pull the lever....lol.
Needless to say they are sitting collecting dust with bumpers atached.

They DO pull FAST and Strong. These
were the predecessors to the now
infamous Warn 8274,
These were also called Barden Winches.

Another thing I just thought of is that
if you are on a hill and you stop the power to the winch it unwinds if you
don't pull the hand drum brake on.
About the only good thing for this winch is just level straight pulling,
like out of a mud hole or pullilng
a friend out of a hole.

Like I said both of mine are still
collecting dust with all the cables