Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the mounting tabs that connect the upper and lower housing assembly broke on the lower housing on my Warn 8274, i am thinking of ordering a new housing

has anybody actually replaced the lower housing, and can you guys give me some pointers on how to do it, without destroying anything???

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks i actualy have looked at that exact page, but was hoping to find more info somewhere, although this page has some nice pics

thanks though

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
What more do you need to know than that? Follow those dissasembly steps and you'll have stripped down the lower housing. Throw your old one out and include the new one in the build up.

The only extra thing I did when rebuilding mine was remove all the gears. This isn't a problem for the lower housing because the gears will come out when you remove the drum. On the upper housing you need to use a long punch to remove the gears that are staked in. I used a large c-clamp to press the stake and gears back in.

Any warn dealer should be able to get you the part. Check the exploded diagram for the number. I know www.carparts.com also carries the parts, search the site with the part number.

Edit: I take part of that back. You will need to press out a bearing cap from the lower housing. The axle (for lack of a better word) that the brake uses rests in a bearing cap with needle bearings at the opposite end of the brake (drum side of housing). It is almost the same thing as a u joint cap. I just used a c-clamp and a socket to press it out. It was very easy. Then I regreased the needle bearing and pressed it back in. To remove that axle you just lift the drum retention plate up and pull the axle out towards the brake, that process is mentioned in Bill's article although he didn't do it.

(I had to completely dissaseble the winch housing so I could have it sandblasted.)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok got it off..the brake was a bitch to get off rusty as hell

and i lost one bearing ball, have my grandfather scouting the work bench for that little ball all day today(he's got nothing better to do anyhow)

how do i get that stupid shaft off..i tried pounding and it doesnt even budge...should i just keep pounding on it

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
What shaft? The one the brake was on?

Pull up the metal plate so that the wide part of the slot is around the shaft and just pull it out toward where the brake was. There is a bearing around the shaft where it enters the case and that should pull out too. Mine was built in 1976 and it all came apart easy. Are you sure you read the rebuild article I posted?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes i read the article.

the plate was lifted and then tilted upside down. so the larger hole is in the right place..it does move out a little bit..basically half way out of the needle bearings,

then it doesnt move. i will try using the large c-cl[amp tonight on it and see if that will work..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts