Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone got the NEW link to the WARN axle chart?

my old link doesn't work anymore, and THEIR links (after digging round on their site) is messed up.

thanks
-mark

·
Registered
16,673 Posts
Keith Strong said:
It isnt nearly complete enough....where are the F250/350 applications :rolleyes:
I know. I called about it, and the guy said he didn't have access to it, either, but he wasn't really sure what I meant. He did go on to say that what's listed is all they have available for pre-cut lengths.

So if someone has it saved, pony up!

Bryan

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
How about picking the collective brain of the PBB and assembling a complete Dana 44 user's guide. With similar guides for Dana 60's to follow (there just aren't as many applications with the 60)

Savage is currently trying to put something like this together, but I think we should consentrait on one axle at a time, and build from there.

All the info I've been able to find seems to all come from the Warn chart, and just re-presented in a different format. How about real-world measurements?

·
Premium Member
5,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, I kept missing it because they lumped it in with the hub and sh*t...

Ya, I saw Savage's site, and I hope he can continue with it, just noticed some blanks on his that I swear was on the WARN chart (which he suposadly just added).

I too would like to see a more complete chart, I also want to do my part to help add to it.

Another thing that needs to be added is the offset from different hub combinations:

i.e. Ford/Gm 1/2T hubs add about 2" over Scout (and I assume early Jeep) hubs, and 3/4T units add more than that.
That is very useful infromation as well when trying to set up a custom-width axle, using standard parts.

Anyone know the length of a DODGE short side?? I've heard of a few people using them.. but I have never found a size..

thanks
-mark

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I'm working on a chart that takes all of that into account, stay tuned, I'm hoping that my format will be a little easier to follow than Savages, but I'll be looking to all PBBer's to help fill in the blanks.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
RustoleumWhite said:
Anyone know the length of a DODGE short side?? -mark
16.31" and long side would be 36.31" for a '77. There has been some discussion about how many different length combinations/offsets there really were.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
I was looking at that today, and came up with a question......

I'm cutting down a Chevy Dana 44 4 inches, which WARN has the axle length of 36.13. Looking at the chart, it looks like a Jeep Wagoneer long side is 32.12 so it seems that that axle will work instead of having a custom shaft made.

But my problem is the outer. :confused: I'm putting a ford rotor and hub on it. The WARN length of the Chevy is 9.94", but the F150 is 9.72.

Which one do I use?

(Basically, it's a Chevy knuckle,spindle, with a ford rotor/hub)

Anyhelp?

TIA

Out

·
Premium Member
5,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
IndyCJ said:
I was looking at that today, and came up with a question......
But my problem is the outer. :confused: I'm putting a ford rotor and hub on it. The WARN length of the Chevy is 9.94", but the F150 is 9.72.

Which one do I use?

(Basically, it's a Chevy knuckle,spindle, with a ford rotor/hub)
To the best of my knowlege (I will be doing the same thing soon, got all the parts now, just haven't done it yet)

Use the Chevy stub with the Chevy spindle.

the length difference apears to be in the spindle, and the hubs near identical.

Be sure you have the "small bearing" spindles... that became a head-ache in a hurry for me...

Llyod: thanks, that is just the length I need, no wonder why I have heard so many people use it.

Let see: dodge short (16.31) plus Scout Long (32.91), stuffed into a re-worked HP housing, with Ford 5-on 5.5 outers.... should be ~64.03"... perfect, provided my math is right.

assuming a 60.5" Scout D44 stock width (pretty close) and adding 2" for the Ford-outer convertion (again, pretty close I think).

hmm, I even have a Dodge housing to steal the short tube out of (no axle though :()

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
RustoleumWhite said:

To the best of my knowlege (I will be doing the same thing soon, got all the parts now, just haven't done it yet)

Use the Chevy stub with the Chevy spindle.

the length difference apears to be in the spindle, and the hubs near identical.

Be sure you have the "small bearing" spindles... that became a head-ache in a hurry for me...

Yea, I've got the spindles off of a 75 Cherokee. Looking at the charts I have it is the same spindle for a 76 Chevy axle that I have. So I'm pretty confident though. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
$590 bucks? :eek:

I called my local parts guy, and he said 590 dollars for the inners and outers. Whoa! Is that a normal price?

·
Registered
123 Posts
4Bangler, drop me a line on what you got. I'd be willing to help out with whatever efforts anyone has going on.

If you would like a different format, let me know, I'll change it. I'm not trying to be the monarch just the catalyst. As I mentioned on the page, I already know the format will change, just don't know to what. Warn breaks out each side individually, not a bad idea, but then you don't get a picture of the whole axle.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
All the prices I've ever seen have been ~$300/pair. Now add $300/pair for the CTM's and plan on a set of balljoints per year if you wheel it - plus you can't get a 4340 long-side that's longer than the Chevy listed above, so
for a Dodge the only aftermarket axles are Moser.
I got a 60 instead.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts