Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the problem with old 6 spline birfields and warn locking hubs in my ´75 bj-40? Blew two birfields from long side and two warn locking hubs so far . Yesterday my brother called and told me that warn hub broke in two pieces when he was backing car out from barn. All broken birfields were 6 spline type. Now i'm running very very old style (ball type) 6 spline birfields out of a '68 fj-40 but hub broke in two pieces and some bolts were missing or snapped? I adjusted steering stops to maximum after i blew second birfield and hope that it helps a little. But what the heck is with those warn hubs?? Are they just so weak?

I dream of longfields but i think its pretty hard to order those to Finland!?

Stock Toyota Land Cruiser BJ-40 1975 w 35"-12,5"-15 MT/R

·
Registered
673 Posts
The 6 spline birfields are not all that strong. If I were you I would try to at least get some plain fine spline birfs until you can get some longs. It might be easier to get them out of a mini truck if you are having trouble finding cruiser ones. As for the hubs, I haven't had any real world experience with them so I don't know what to tell you there.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
In all reality, the course spline birfs are just as good as the older FJ40 fine spline birfs for their intended purpose, the only dilema is the fact that you can't easily do a factory disc-brake swap retaining the course birf. I would continue to run the course-spline birfs until you deside that you are ready to do a disc brake swap.

As far as the Warn free-wheel hubs, I suspect that the six bolts holding them to the axle-hub were either loose or some missing. As soon as the free-wheel hub starts to get some play in it, it is very easy to shear off remaing bolts and the pins. Was the truck in 4wd when the hub broke in half? Where did it break in half? The body itself of the face?

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
yotamika said:
...I dream of longfields but i think its pretty hard to order those to Finland!?..
Not really, I'de be more than happy to forward a set on to you. You will have to either swap a comlete disc-brake axle onto your Cruiser or do a disc-brake conversion using the mini-truck/*J40/*J55/*J60/*J70 parts. Plus then you will get to run the Aisin hubs... far better than any aftermarket ones in my opinion... yeah the cone washers suck to take off sometimes, bet better than the bolts falling off like some Warns...:D

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
longfields will be well worth it!!

the fine spline ones are a significant upgrade over the early junk.... but nothing compares to a longfield that bolts in as easy.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm looking for whole HJ-60 Land Cruiser for parts and then use it's birfields, locking hubs, disc brakes, power steering and maybe some other parts in my bj-40 project.

I Heard that HJ-60 birfields fit bj-40 if you use HJ hubs. HJ birfs are just little longer... My friends ordered some new 30 spline HJ-60 birfs from Italy and they cost only about 90 euros (about 90$).

So how much set of longfields that fit HJ-60 hubs would cost shipped to finland.

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
yotamika said:

I dream of longfields but i think its pretty hard to order those to Finland!?

Stock Toyota Land Cruiser BJ-40 1975 w 35"-12,5"-15 MT/R
If you need help getting some Longfields, I will be glad to help you with shipping.

Email me direct if you like.

[email protected]

There is a problem in your front axle for sure. The course spline Birf is weak, yes, but if you don't have a front locker, they should hold up just fine.

I have friend that runs them on his Cruiser with a GM Granny Low transmission (SM465) and 35's and it holds up fine.

I would clean out the front axle housing, make sure your housing is not bent and rebuild.

If you can, swap to discs and fine spline birfs from a later FJ or a Toyota HiLux.

Again, if you want help with the Newfields, let me know.

·
Registered
13,473 Posts
I've beaten on my '74 fj40 with coarse birfs in it, and haven't broken anything. Then again I am open front, and only running 32's on it. It is now retired, so hopefully I will not have to worry about breaking them.

If they broke just backing out of the barn, then they were already broken, or you have a wicked driveway.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
If you really need some coarse birfs & hubs, I have a pair here that I'll let go cheap.

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Eskimo said:
If you really need some coarse birfs & hubs, I have a pair here that I'll let go cheap.
for HJ60 birfs id want $30 oz, each plus $30 an axle.
$50 for the pair of hubs aisin locking hubs off HJ60.

These guys are right, something is up. I assume you have the locking plates (constant wear on front end) and 35s, and they are 28 years old... but still.... until you lock that front you have not broken nothing!! :flipoff2:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Warn hub from drivers side was broken in two bits and 3 of its bolts snapped off too. From other side 3 bolts snapped off but hub was not broken yet. Thing is that before this we changed birfield from short side to new one and i adjusted steering stops. After that i took a short drive in forest (...still lot of snow here)and all worked fine and i didnt notice anything wrong. Next morning we noticed missing bolts and hubs fell off. Now i left those warn hubs off and installed solib hubs. Cant understand what is wrong because everything looks fine to me? And because other side is showing same symptoms i just think that warn hubs and old birfields are just at the end of their lifecycle (they might be original ones from 1975)!? :confused:

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
yotamika said:
Warn hub from drivers side was broken in two bits and 3 of its bolts snapped off too. From other side 3 bolts snapped off but hub was not broken yet. Thing is that before this we changed birfield from short side to new one and i adjusted steering stops. After that i took a short drive in forest (...still lot of snow here)and all worked fine and i didnt notice anything wrong. Next morning we noticed missing bolts and hubs fell off. Now i left those warn hubs off and installed solib hubs. Cant understand what is wrong because everything looks fine to me? And because other side is showing same symptoms i just think that warn hubs and old birfields are just at the end of their lifecycle (they might be original ones from 1975)!? :confused:

which was my thoughts exactly!!

6 splines sounds very agricultural too :eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts