Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who don't know it.Those Warn winches they market as made in USA are actually half breeds assembled in US with some domestic and some import parts which includes the heart of the beast the motor.Before purchase I had done some research on this which included calling Warn HQ and was told they were made in USA.After purchasing a M8000 for my EB the first three items pulled out of box were marked made in China.After a quick PO phone call back to Warn and pushing the issue did the rep finally admit to the import motor and parts.With no apology his excuse was that they can't get some of the parts in the US.I also sent off a E-mail to them with no response.I feel Warn dosn't give a hoot about cust satisfaction.I was trying to support our country and feel I paid more for something that I was missled about.Its a long story and couldn't really return the winch.If I had a do over I'd go a different route with a Superwinch.I've been a weldor and machinest for over 30yrs.When I machine,cut,weld,etc something that is making it.When you bolt it togeather thats assembling it.Anyhow I digress but just some of you might want to know.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
Can I get one that isn't assembled in the US that costs half as much?
the parts that are assembled in the US probably dont add any cost.
the WARN name is the $$
has anyone ever met a person that works in the WARN assembly plant?
with all the PNW peeps here someone must know a WARN employee that does hands on work

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
lol im not going to get into a brand war, or trade laws etc. but seriously how much stuff do you really think is 100 percent made, manufactured and assembled in the USA. and just cause its chinese doesnt mean its crap.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
lol im not going to get into a brand war, or trade laws etc. but seriously how much stuff do you really think is 100 percent made, manufactured and assembled in the USA. and just cause its chinese doesnt mean its crap.
half the china made stuff is crap, i know for a fact that china bearings and rotors wont last near as long as USA made and thats just one example.

now i used to deliver steel alot and from what im told we ship steel over to china to get made into parts then shipped back because its cheaper for us to do that so its normal for stuff assembled in USA have china parts

·
Registered
294 Posts
For those of you who don't know it.Those Warn winches they market as made in USA are actually half breeds assembled in US with some domestic and some import parts which includes the heart of the beast the motor.Before purchase I had done some research on this which included calling Warn HQ and was told they were made in USA.After purchasing a M8000 for my EB the first three items pulled out of box were marked made in China.After a quick PO phone call back to Warn and pushing the issue did the rep finally admit to the import motor and parts.With no apology his excuse was that they can't get some of the parts in the US.I also sent off a E-mail to them with no response.I feel Warn dosn't give a hoot about cust satisfaction.I was trying to support our country and feel I paid more for something that I was missled about.Its a long story and couldn't really return the winch.If I had a do over I'd go a different route with a Superwinch.I've been a weldor and machinest for over 30yrs.When I machine,cut,weld,etc something that is making it.When you bolt it togeather thats assembling it.Anyhow I digress but just some of you might want to know.

Fuck yeah, what the hell is Warn thinking? They should definitely have changed their whole supply line infrastructure and business model just because one guy called up and wanted to bitch. Jesus man, if you're that pissed off then return the damn thing and buy whatever wholly American made winch you can find. But you're not going to do that, are you? You'd rather bitch on every board that you can register on. Go cry me a river pussy.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
half the china made stuff is crap, i know for a fact that china bearings and rotors wont last near as long as USA made and thats just one example.

now i used to deliver steel alot and from what im told we ship steel over to china to get made into parts then shipped back because its cheaper for us to do that so its normal for stuff assembled in USA have china parts
US and Canada have huge tariffs against Chinese steel
China is a big time player in steel production, they dont need steel from us

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
And this is why steel prices have dropped?:shaking:
I'm not exactly sure of your point but since the steel industry is a truly globalized market, you will probably find that most of the steel imported is not from China but rather other parts of the world with different trade agreements in place that do NOT carry large tarrifs.

·
Registered
346 Posts
You said they don't need steel from us, which isn't true. They are buying raw steel from everyone (including us) to feed their growing industry. This is one of the reasons why we've seen a big jump in steel prices.

They do need steel from us, but not in finished form. This is the same for India which has a big Mfg industry based on steel products.

·
Premium Member
3,960 Posts
big jump? prices are way down...

The biggest contributor is/was the Olympics, and chinas imports/exports leading up to it. Right now there is very few orders going out for steel, in the US or over seas. The big shredders in Wisconsin are only running 1-2 days a week right now, are are basically paying NOTHING for scrap steel, metal is in very low demand right now.. about a month ago, two boats of shred left for china with NO buyers, for the first time in nearly 20 years.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
warn employees roughly 600 people here in the Northwest. I know several people that work at Warn and one friend works on on the truck winch team and they have about 120 machinist and assemblers on that team alone. Yes they buy some parts like controlers and motors but they have most everything machined in house.

·
Registered
346 Posts
big jump? prices are way down...

The biggest contributor is/was the Olympics, and chinas imports/exports leading up to it. Right now there is very few orders going out for steel, in the US or over seas. The big shredders in Wisconsin are only running 1-2 days a week right now, are are basically paying NOTHING for scrap steel, metal is in very low demand right now.. about a month ago, two boats of shred left for china with NO buyers, for the first time in nearly 20 years.
My bad. I haven't dumped my scrap metal since June. I can't remember what they gave me back then but I remember I could buy some beer with it, when it used to be just a few bucks.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.