Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if warns electirc motors are interchangable at all?
the motor on my winch needs some help, it is old and warn out. (haha im funny. either that or i cant spell)

anyway... Before i sink money into rebuilding this old thing, i was looking into replacements and better yet upgrades. i know warn has come out with tons of newer and better motors, but they are all for the newer winches. I was just wondering if by any chance they were interchangable. i mean they all are held on by 2 long ass screws, and have a 20 tooth splined shaft. How much different can they be? I dont have different motors to compare.... but i noticed that almost all warn winches use the same rated motors. so for a given generation you will see that almost all model winches used a similar motor. Like currently the 4.6hp seems to be the motor of choice. before it was the 2.5hp.. and then there is always the drewl-worthy 6hp. From what i can tell, they all seem to use the same splined shaft and 2 screw mounting... so can anyone tell me why you couldnt interchange them?

·
Apple
11,695 Posts
You've been here 4 years and you don't know how to search for this?

There are guys that have updated their old belleviews and 8724'swith 9000 motors, but I'm not going to look it up for you.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok after a bit more digging i found my own answer.
this is from a licensed warn parts supplier...

upon asking if you could upgrade a 2.5hp splined motor to a 4.6 or even the 6hp... he replies...

"They are directly interchangeable with splined shaft motors. If you have a key shaft (looks like an allan key or pencil hex shape) then we have an adaptor gear for $75 and then this motor will fit all hi mount winches. So at worst you are up for an extra $75 if you have the old style."

i followed up just to make sure...
"but so basically there are only 2 types.... spined and keyed... as long as mine is splined, any splined motor will bolt right on? so i could put a 6hp motor from a xp9500 on a M5000 if i really wanted... as long as they were both splined motors?"

and he responded
"Yes, that is the case. Warn asked me to let customers know that warranties will no longer stand when they do these conversions but I am tipping we are all over the warranty stuff by the time we do conversions..."

so in summary... all warn motors are either direct bolt ups or one "adapter" away from it. but if you put some huge ass motor on a winch designed for something smaller and you bust your sh!t warn will laugh at you.

just wanted to share. :)

if anyone else has heard differently feel free to chime in.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I've been told the same thing by a Warn dealer near my house. My ? is ,how much for the new motor? I just ordered parts for,and rebuilt a warn 8274 that was more than 25 years old. So far the winch has cost me about 80$ and some elbow grease and it runs and looks like new.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I've been told the same thing by a Warn dealer near my house. My ? is ,how much for the new motor? I just ordered parts for,and rebuilt a warn 8274 that was more than 25 years old. So far the winch has cost me about 80$ and some elbow grease and it runs and looks like new.

IIRC about $350 for a hipo motor

·
Registered
793 Posts

"They are directly interchangeable with splined shaft motors. If you have a key shaft (looks like an allan key or pencil hex shape) then we have an adaptor gear for $75 and then this motor will fit all hi mount winches. So at worst you are up for an extra $75 if you have the old style."
If your licensed Warn parts supplier is really selling the 8274 pinion gear (pn 15879) for 75 bux, you really need to find a different supplier. That gear sells in AK for $17.00.

·
Registered
691 Posts

upon asking if you could upgrade a 2.5hp splined motor to a 4.6 or even the 6hp... he replies...

i followed up just to make sure...
"but so basically there are only 2 types.... spined and keyed... as long as mine is splined, any splined motor will bolt right on? so i could put a 6hp motor from a xp9500 on a M5000 if i really wanted... as long as they were both splined motors?"

and he responded
"Yes, that is the case. Warn asked me to let customers know that warranties will no longer stand when they do these conversions but I am tipping we are all over the warranty stuff by the time we do conversions..."

so in summary... all warn motors are either direct bolt ups or one "adapter" away from it. but if you put some huge ass motor on a winch designed for something smaller and you bust your sh!t warn will laugh at you.

just wanted to share. :)

if anyone else has heard differently feel free to chime in.
I know this is an old thread, but I have been researching adding a more powerful motor to my M5000 winch that I have, since the old motor is toast. Mine uses a motor with a 3.8" diameter housing (part number 32460 (discontinued) or 62518) and the newer/upgrade motors all have 4.5" diameter housings (part number w-7623). And of course the mounting bolts are spaced farther apart on the larger housing motors. Both my old motor and the newer motors I have been looking at all have the 20 spline shafts. Also, the shaft on the "upgrade" motor is about 1/2" longer than the one in my original motor, from what I have been able to determine from looking at a spec sheet. So in order to use the higher HP motor on my winch, I will have to make an adapter to....1) space the motor farther away from the end of the winch, so the shaft won't bottom out and 2) to adapt the wider spaced mounting bolts, so I can bolt the motor on.
Just an FYI, for anyone thinking that you can bolt any warn splined motor to any warn winch that originally came with a warn splined motor on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts