Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the warn o/d in my spicer 18 is poping out of regular drive while under load (ie going up hills etc). i pulled the unit, re-torqued the nut (it was loose) and replaced it. it is better but will still pop out of regular drive. it stays in overdrive fine. any thoughts? thanks.

·
Registered
15,321 Posts
Sounds like your haveing a T-case problem actually. MY understanding of the Warn Overdrive is its either in regular or overdrive (no neutral) but I could be wrong on that.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya, there is only regular or o/d with the unit. when it pops out of regular drive, it grinds gears and goes out of gear completly

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my Warn OD. It kept popping out of gear when it was not in OD, but when in OD it was fine. Pulled it apart and found the (i'm gonna call it the output shaft for the lack of a better term) was all chewed to hell. In my experience, this product doesnt last and you better keep checking it or you'll end up with t-case trouble as well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
are you talking about the output shaft on the tranny? mine looked ok the last time i pulled it off. i did notice a lot of metal shavings in the bottom of the pan when i pulled the t-case pan off. i thought this was from the o/d gears but could not be sure, any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
The Warn OD unit does have a distinct neutral. Popping out of gear is usually a sign of wear in the unit. A small parts rebuild may do the trick. BTW: Mine pops out of 1:1 when I put it under severe load on reverse. I just hold the lever in place after that happens until I'm back to normal wheeling.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BTW: Mine pops out of 1:1 when I put it under severe load on reverse. I just hold the lever in place after that happens until I'm back to normal wheeling.

ya, that is exactly what happens to mine, except that it pops out in forward drive when going up steep hills. i have to either hold it in or downshift the tranny and engage the o/d. did you notice if the nut had backed off and was loose?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
as a follow up, i pulled the o/d today along with the t-case. found out that the output shaft from the tranny was loose. this is most likely the culprit in my case. thanks for the help

1 - 8 of 8 Posts