Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Warn perm. 35 spline locking hub still has problems clearing the end of the stub axle. I was hoping that the new yukon 35 spline stub axle would work with out modifications. The inside of the cap will not clear the end of the axle, these locking hubs were designed for the full float rear axle kits back in ' 98. I field tested these locking hubs on the front diff.'s with the plastic caps before the perm. caps were made. All stub axles will need .175 removed from the end. The 382S bearing race will add .125, but some times this is not enough, the hub on the driver side will lock in when driving if there is interference. steve differential eng. inc.

Attachments

·
Registered
764 Posts
so what brands of hubs are currently available for 35 spline? i will be upgrading mine when these silly autolockers grenade.

are these yukon shafts any good?

·
Registered
323 Posts
I thought warn made a new hub that worked with the 35 spline front stubs?? If I remember right they were sold individually and did not have the locking set screw like the rear units did. They were designed to have more clearance for the front stubs and no machining was required.

Has anyone else use these??? I could be wrong????

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
I would think fixing the problem with the hub would be more advantagous than machining the stub shaft. Typical scenerio - you let Camo borrow your rig for less than an hour and blamo, you have broken 35 spline stubs all over the place. You borrow one from Kevin Palmer (dont return it either) only to find out his are not machined...

Nice story, but its the real world here. I dont want to machine my stubs every time I need a new one, just because of a crappy design by Warn. Lets do something productive and flood Warn with negative press about this - maybe they will step up to the plate and redesign.

Better yet - just buy some of those bling bling Pirate style drive flanges.:D

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
The Original Diesel said:
I thought warn made a new hub that worked with the 35 spline front stubs?? If I remember right they were sold individually and did not have the locking set screw like the rear units did. They were designed to have more clearance for the front stubs and no machining was required.

Has anyone else use these??? I could be wrong????
I think you're right. I think Steve is reffering to the "Heavy Duty Rear Full Floater Hublock" that can be used for the front. But there are also new hubs, made for the front end, PN 62672, sold individually.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
MudzerK5 said:

Better yet - just buy some of those bling bling Pirate style drive flanges.:D
Pigs had the same problem on all of the first batch, except his were off by .345:eek: I had to hand machine 2 sets to fit. He was going to send me new covers once the new batch is done. I have not seen them yet, so maybe he is still working on them.

Ryan

·
Registered
946 Posts
so what brands of hubs are currently available for 35 spline?
These are Mile Marker units. All SS with ductile iron drive slug.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
TJFAN, you gotta part number for those bad boys? How are they compared to the warn units?

TIA

·
Registered
623 Posts
what hubs are you bolting these to??? I have late model ford hubs with 35 spline premiums... everything fits fine...though I did blow 2 hubs up this year.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Starslope said:

I think you're right. I think Steve is reffering to the "Heavy Duty Rear Full Floater Hublock" that can be used for the front. But there are also new hubs, made for the front end, PN 62672, sold individually.
  • The only differents between the two warn perm. caps is the set screw, they are the same cap. steve

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
TJ Fan said:

These are Mile Marker units. All SS with ductile iron drive slug.
  • I am a distributor for MileMarker, i bought the first ones when they were released last year. it is a good locking hub, BUT the cap must be installed only one way for it to work. The converted dana locking hubs work very will, camo proof. Over the last 5 years i have made about 40 sets of these. steve

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Starslope said:

I did not have any problems with the warn premiums :confused:

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
I too had no problems with the warn premium hubs on 35 spline axles.

worked just fine, with no interference.

·
Registered
315 Posts
i have the new premium hubs. there a pain in the ass though. when haulin ass down dirt roads they tend to engage themselves. and they tend to un lock when you dont want them to. my fix was to drill and tap the hub for a set screw. i dont keep the screw real tight. just snug enough to keep them from having there own mind

·
Registered
591 Posts
I was running the 35 spline set screw premiums and had 2 separate breakages. The first time the pass side hub disengaged and ripped the cap up. The second time, the cap just broke (the star inside). I then went to the Tera hubs (made by MM), and no problems since.
On a good note, the Warns were warrantied both times. Lots of good that was on the trail though. I don't think the problem is the internals, it is the engaging cap that seems to draw all of the problems. I also hear the Warn cheapies last longer, but you can't get them in 35 spline...I still carry the Warns as spares..
Ricky...seeya...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts