Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Warn Rear Conversion Kit, is it worth it? I'm thinking on getting one. I don't know if Man-A-Fre still carries them but do you know of any other people that do? :)

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Are you referring to the Warn Full-Float kit?

Last I heard those had been discontinued...

I have a demo unit sitting in the shop... but no complete kits...

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Might try Bob @ TPI. He did have some but IIRC it was a lot more expensive than just finding the real thing.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did a search on the full floater here and came across this site, that I can't seem to connect to. http://www.redlineoffroad.com/ How much of the demo unit is there, and is it the real thing? not plastic. Are you willing to sell it, if I can piece together the rest?

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
Redline Off Road is a debunked company that took a LOT of people to the cleaners, myself included.

Do a search in General or the Mini forum and read for days.

As for a Toy FF axle, I do not think it is a mod worth the $$

Get some disc brakes to keep your axle shafts in the housing if they break and save your $$ for a stronger axle in the future.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Already have the disc. Want to go to full floater if possible.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Nolen you are the first I have ever seen say that. I agree almost 100%. I have seen few axle snaps but they do happen. I just bring an extra set and a long magnet on a telescoping rod to get the stub out (try to at least!) I do want a FF for my 62. The logic here is that I want to carry a lot of weight in the back and I can see snapping an axle much easier due to that. FOr a 40 I would not bother.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Being able to unlock the hubs during tow for one.

·
Registered
697 Posts
have you thought about a factory ff?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmmm! Guess I could. It'd be a lot of work to duplicate the rear axle setup I now have, but what the hey. Half the fun is building it. The only one I can think of that might carry the FF would be Spector, but they are always expensive as hell.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Spector has them for $450.00 with out a third member.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I am not slamming your FF idea at all. It cannot hurt anything. It can only help! Last year SOR had 60 series FFs that you could buy during the extra discount time for around $345 + boxing and shipping. The boxing and shipping were a bit too steep for me. I would go OEM for it. Just keep looking around and posting. They are out there.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Guess I was looking at the wrong assembly on Spectors CD because I saw it at $675. I'll go back and look again and give them a call tomorrow.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I just looked on the SOR web site and the have them for $405.00 now on sale part # 801-040-101

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
65-fj45 said:
I just looked on the SOR web site and the have them for $405.00 now on sale part # 801-040-101
Thanks! Done deal.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
The trick with SOR is to buy the POS membership and then wait for the "sale" which gets you an extra 5% off the 10% you get as a member. 15% total. You also avoid the boxing fee but still pay the crating fee.

What pissed me off was that I wanted to buy it over the phone from Atlanta with a CC and my club discount. I would be in LA that week and I wanted to pick it up as is cuz I had free shipping back to Atlanta. I even had 2 guys lined up to help me get it into the rental car. SOR ould not do it. They make too much money off crating and shipping.

·
Registered
697 Posts
So what you are saying,is that they would only sell the ff to you if they shipped it to you? they would not sell it to you if you picked it up.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
That is exactly waht i am saying. They told me some crap about taxes etc... but I just dont buy it. I really think they wanted the crating/shipping money.

BTW: I have nothing against SOR. I sort of know Marv through a few mutal friends and they do a good job and charge for it. I bet I could have argued the point with them but the asshat I spoke with on the phone there convinced me it was just not worth the time or trouble.

I assume they would sell it as is to a local person.

·
Metal-tech'in
1,588 Posts
W' Harold at Overthehill4x4.com might have one of the kits sitting around. I know he helped Warn test some of the first units. I recall seeing a set in his shop a year or so ago.

Mark

BTW:
Dd113: Did you offer just to pay the CA sales tax? I know it’s a PIA for business in CA to sell products in state to out of state people and work around the sales tax. I doubt the sales tax for the axel would be more than SOR’s crating fees. (A buddy bought a FZJ-80 used off a lot in Sacramento CA, he followed the sales guy up to State Line NV where he took “delivery” of the truck. He then registered the new truck up in Oregon, in the end no sales tax. Major PITA!)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts