Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We had our monthly trail run on Saturday, turned out great. We initailly planned the trip with the idea of 10-12 rigs showing up. As the day approached the number skyrocketed. As we waited at the gas station in Cedar Fort, more and more continued to roll in. We ended up with 26 rigs, a huge group on the short Rattlesnake trail. We actually hit the trail aroud 11:00 and moved through it at a very reasonable speed considering the amount of vehicles. The only carnage was a birfield and inner axle (not me this time), a bent tie rod, a tweaked driveline, sheered driveline bolts, and a few minor body mods. All of which were taken care of after the trail. The birf was removed and everyone was on theire way home. A great afternoon.

Check out the pics here... courtesy of Wasatch Cruiser Club members Wayne and Ken Dahlberg...Thanks Dahlbergs! Pics hosted by the one and only Deiselcruiserhead!

http://www.collegeinternetsolutions.com/cisautoweb/dtlc/rattlesnake/

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Link no worky!

When are you folks going again?

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Here are some samples

The fearless leader

oops

We have all been in this situation

Clean looking 79 up

puppies love LandCruisers too:p

It looks like alot of fun, I will have to tag along next time.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
cruiseroutfit said:

The real fearless leader...:flipoff2: :D
Careful, theres a Jeep creeping up behind you in that picture:eek: :D

·
Registered
734 Posts
Looks like it was some good fun.... Dudes, maybe we shoulda went afterall....oh wait we were working on my stinking rig.........

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
DO YOU GUYS HAVE A MANDATORY "WASATCH CRUISERS" BUMPER DESIGN OR SOMETHING? ;)

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Slowerthanu said:
Careful, theres a Jeep creeping up behind you in that picture:eek: :D
They are always behind me...:D

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FIXXXXAH said:
DO YOU GUYS HAVE A MANDATORY "WASATCH CRUISERS" BUMPER DESIGN OR SOMETHING? ;)
Yup:D

Actually there's only a few like those and two of them happen to be on POR...:D

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
The driveshaft broke on a 64? Fj40 SOA/SM420 topless Yellow Forty that someone appropriately name the "Baywatchmobile"

Nice guy...he had some trouble in the rockgarden area until someone crawled underneath and popped the t-case into 4wd:)

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
It was a blast. Cruiser Outfitters has been around some 17 years and has been passed on to a few owners over the last few years, the current one being Kurt of course. Those bumpers were the staple Cruiser Outfitters bumper upto about a year ago. Kurt's been there a few years but officially became owner about a little more than year ago, right? Those bumpers give an ARB about 4 times a run for it's money when up against a deer. And even though they are huge they do a good job of staying out of the way. Sure was a lot of fun. I ended up wheeling my rig even with a broken main leaf. Truck did pretty good. At the end of the day ended up picking up a set of 4"...... .... ...Rancho springs which I'll probably never use but the price was right. Question is, put those suckers on now or just go straight for the SOA. I know what you all are going to say:)

·
Registered
122 Posts
i know that this is a newbie question, but i have to ask it. can a close to stock cruiser hang with a trail like that? i'd like to go one of these times, but not if i'm gonna just break things because my cruiser isn't built enough. i have 31" tires and about a 2" lift. other than that, i'm pretty stock. thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
22_pilot said:
i know that this is a newbie question, but i have to ask it. can a close to stock cruiser hang with a trail like that? i'd like to go one of these times, but not if i'm gonna just break things because my cruiser isn't built enough. i have 31" tires and about a 2" lift. other than that, i'm pretty stock. thanks in advance!
That makes your truck more modified than Andre's (dieselcruiserhead) close to stock bad boy FJ40 and he made it look easier than some of the much taller trucks. There were a couple of trucks in our group that fit the same description and they both made it unscathed.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
It was a fun day! Kurt was in fact the fearless leader for the day, acting as trail leader. I just played a wallflower and played it lowkey somewhere in the middle of the pack.

Holy Crap! we had a lot of trucks out with us for such a short run! The trail is pretty short and I think there were several past the last obstacle before the last few trucks finished the first obstacle.

As for the madatory WC front bumper, Kurt and Trent (the olive green 40) are the only ones with "real" Cruiser Outfitters bumpers. Like DIESELCRUISERHEAD said, they are super strong and suprisingly good at not hitting stuff despite their size. The other bumper that is common in our club is the stock style bumper with the Man-a-Fre Aussie brush guard. That's what is on my truck and I think I'm the only one that added the fender protection, but there are no less than 5 other trucks with that same brush guard.

Bennett and Nolen, the Baywatch mobile belongs to Matt Dinubilo. He's been a wheeling buddy of mine for a long time. It took a while to convert him but he's been through a YJ, a ZJ, and most recently a LR Discovery which he still owns, before finally picking up this 40 last summer. It has turned out to be a great truck if he can keep the driveline bolts in it:D . He's been lazy and hasn't bought any replacement bolts since they broke the first time last September. He just keeps putting in some cheapo Home Depot bolts that he keeps in a ziploc, until this time when he forgot the baggie of bolts and ended up using a few cage bolts to get rolling again. He's a good guy but.........he'll learn, just give him some time. :D

22_pilot, you would have had a great time with us! We had several very close to stock cruisers with us and everyone made it virtually unscathed. I still can't figure out how that super clean red 40 broke a birfield AND an inner axle!:eek: He was unlocked, front tires going straight and he wasn't even backing up. The only thing I can come up with is that he got a little air under his tire coming up the ledge and it spun and when it finally hooked up it snapped. Cool truck though.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Those bumpers were the staple Cruiser Outfitters bumper upto about a year ago. Kurt's been there a few years but officially became owner about a little more than year ago, right? Those bumpers give an ARB about 4 times a run for it's money when up against a deer.

I'll relate one story about those bumpers. One guy, Howard Hefner that used to work at Cruiser Outfitters a few years ago had/has one on his SOA FJ40 and was driving down I-15 near the point of the mountain and one of his steering arms let go and sent him out of control into another lane and he nailed a fullsize Bronco! It tore the front fender, grill and hood clean off the Bronco and destroyed the radiator on it as well. The only damage to the 40(besides the steering arm)...........................a 1/4" crack in one of the welds on the bumper. Damn strong bumpers.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Yes and no on the somewhat stockness. It's got 33s and a worn and beaten 2.5" lift. But on a trail like that you would have been fine with your truck. There was a pretty stock YJ and some of the 60s were doing OK with smallish lifts and little-no damage. Though I'm probably the worst person to follow my own words as I was banging and clanking my springs all over the place. But there are usually bypasses and it's a good idea to know the limits of your truck... But it was a good time nevertheless. I don't think I would have attempted that waterfall without the 33s.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts