Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With a leaf spring, full size rig, Wheelbase in. 106.0, Overall Length in. 188.8,
Overall Width in. 79.5, Weight lbs 5200.
What is the best way to run the suspension for washboard roads?
I would also like it to perform in the twisty stuff to but not major twisty. The rig is also a so called daily driver 1-2times/ week but has to run the hwy for getting me to destination.
I'm thinking softer and more thinner leafs in stead of thicker. reverse shackle in rear, Shocks at a more upright angle with a slight aft to rear, long as posible thru floor, mounted out as far as I can. Tires with about 25psi. Sway bar front with a disconnect for more articulation in the twisty.
I don't want to go coil spring. Leafs will be made by custom spring shop. lift will be 3.5inch, 33" tires. Any suspension guru's.
Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Gonna have to spend the cash on some good shocks! Shocks make all the differnce in the world, especially on leaf suspension. I have went through several shocks on my rig until I found some that worked well. I don't have a recommendation for a manufacturer, it all depends on weight, unsprung weight, length, valving, gas charged, etc. And alot of shock companies use the same part number shock for lots of applications. A good set of shocks, not the parts store type, will let you constantly adjust the rate and pressures until you get it perfect for your ride.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I will agree with Brett, I put some Deavers & Edelbrock IAS shocks on my scout and it is like night and day difference. But, as mentioned it does cost. Jeff at Deaver gave me the name of a guy with a scout who had his springs done there. I called and he said it was the best mod he has done dispite the cost.
I will agree, it was one of the best mods to my scout. It now is flexy and rides great, but you will need to address sway.
good luck

·
Registered
637 Posts
A leaf spring and washboards don't mix. Especially on a WB that is only 106.

x3 or 4 on just calling deaver and telling them what you want. Grab the ankles. The faster and better you want to go the more they are going to get you were it counts.

High speed wheel control is directly proportional to the drap that the suspension movement causes and the shocks ability to adjust to the different piston speeds.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Something nobody has mentioned is what tires you plan to run. That and pressure make a world of difference in how you set up your suspension. If you're running Swampers than it doesn't really matter what shocks you put on.

Check out the pre-runner guys, they've been doing this stuff for a long time. You could also take a few hints from the hill climb guys that do the Pike's Peak type races. I've personally found that the best way to not feel the washboard is to take the shocks off and just stay above 45mph...smooth as silk. Getting through the first natural frequency can be a biatch though.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well I'll check out some dezert and hill climb sites.
I thought I would post here because the washboard roads are not the only thing I do. I also go thru some of the flexy stuff, old creek beds, some climbs, slick rock, logs etc. Here's some of the stuff: http://www.bc4x4.com/tr/2005/trailjam/
Remember I'm a full size. Some of these little guys have it easier.
I'm not the extreme rock crawler but the link will show some of the stuff I do and want to do more of.
I want to get a balance for everything off road and still get me where I going on the Hwy and city. I know it's impossible to meet all criteria. It doesn't have to be the best of, but a good reliable capable piece of work. I thought a question in the form of wash board road would give me some ideas with how there setup (since I'm getting to the places on alot of these roads), along with other info I grab for the rest of the 4xing I do, and put something together.
Since I can't find some D60's fr&rr from a 1992-93 Dodge truck to go 37's. I be will sticking with the D44 and 9.25 and going 33x10.5, Most likely BFG. I don't want wider and I don't think the D44 will hold up to 35's which I only see in a 12.50" wide. If that's the case I might as well go 37x12.5 which brings me back to the D60's for strength.
I will go MT tire and siphing. I use the rig in the winter as well, snow and ice.
Any thoughts.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I've got Alcan leafs...great all around springs.
Alcan and Deaver are your best bet...and as others have mentioned get quality shocks, and Rancho's dont count. Fox, Bilstein, BBCS, King, Edelbrock...etc

1 - 12 of 12 Posts