truck specs:
02 gmc swb single cab
stock5.3
4l60e
246 tcase(7busted sofar)
44boggers(broke six of them)
rockwells 2.5tons

question:
im planning on putting the truck back together this summer. my plans are to gutt tcase except for gear reduction and putting rockwell t case behind it.(dual cases)
OR should i pull everything and go back with 2wd trans and just rockwell case?

wat do yall recommend? will it be geared too low?(in low low) or will i continue to twist out aluminum? im goin to run grooved 49" michelins on 20" beadlocks until i find some v treads....no taller than 54s.

·
Registered
12,757 Posts
44boggers(broke six of them)
What do I think? I think after reading your post you are an esl case. That, and how exactly did you "break" six 44" boggers :confused:

I mean, seriously :rolleyes:

·
Green bastard
6,658 Posts
WOW, really? Good times.

·
Registered
128 Posts
my plans are to gutt tcase except for gear reduction
I dont know much about the "guts" in the new tranfers, but if their anything like the old ones.... the "Guts" make the gear reduction. we usually get rid of the guts and go 1:1

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
My grandma always used to tell me that if you can't break a 44" bogger or 2, you just ain't trying hard enough...
My grandma told me to stay the fuck away from her golf cart, quit hotwiring it, and taking it for a spin... Right before she would make me go cut my switch.

·
Registered
12,251 Posts
I dont know much about the "guts" in the new tranfers, but if their anything like the old ones.... the "Guts" make the gear reduction. we usually get rid of the guts and go 1:1
Sounds like he's talking about pulling the chain and front output and using it as a range box only.

·
Registered
12,757 Posts
Sounds like he's talking about pulling the chain and front output and using it as a range box only.
I'm pretty sure he's not smart enough to do that :shaking:

·
Registered
12,251 Posts
Sorry buddy............Didn't notice I was in the Mud section.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
12,757 Posts
Sorry buddy............Didn't notice I was in the Mud section.:flipoff2:
I might get offended about that except that observation is spot on :laughing:

·
Registered
12,757 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
naw my tires are fine ive gone through alot of t cases. broke them with 44s. (had a bunch at my disposal) im gone pull out the chain in the 246 and put the rockwell case behind it. my question is wether or not im gone continue to break the adapter between the 4l60e and 246? i was hopin with a small shaft between the two cases and the initial t case not bareing all the blunt force it would hold up?

and i understand all the mall crawler jokes...i hate them too,but after doin the high school thing, my front end was trash and i had some rockwells layin around so why not? the whole build did not cost as much as rebuilding my front end. exempting tires and wheels

im leaning toward runnin both t cases and if other doesnt hold up just put in two wheel drive trans with longer shaft to t case. or am i wastin my time with 246?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
After reading the OP's first post again, I think he should go with GM 454, 2wd TH400, divorced NP200, spool in rear, locker in front, hydro steering, pinion brakes. Yeah, that'll do.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

naw the 5.3 isnt a power house by no means but i like the reliabilty from it... you can hold it on the rev limiter all day and it begs for more. maybe one day il be able to kick it up a notch but for now it will do just fine.

i know this truck is not a die hard mud truck.... or a crawler i have one of them. im just simply trying to make it a better mud truck as i already have a crawler(hints why i posted in the mud section).

i can understand yall questioning my ability to build a truck and your witty comments thats wats great about pirate. im just simply lookin for someone with a little more experience with the 246 case and wat im attempting to do with it. thanks

·
Registered
12,757 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
I don't care what anybody says; its nice to have someone be honest with their shortcomings for a change :laughing:

Then why did you laugh and then post things on the web when I was honest about my shortcoming? Bitch.

PS- dump the intermediate case and just throw in a 2wd tranny and the center driveline.

PPS-That thing got a hydraulic cam? :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts