Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
pretty dumb question....
hey, how do i got the water to circulate through my motor, i have the rad full, but there is no water in the block. i let it run but the motor got hot and the water never circulated

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
It should have slowly equalized leaving just a little to fill after the stat opens. Some 6 cyl GMs have a bleed screw on the water neck on the motor. I don't know what else it could be. How do you know all the water was out of the block?

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
When filling the cooling system try leaving one end of the heater hose off (use the hose that is highest on the engine). This will allow the coolant to push any trapped air out of the block alot easier and helps prevent air locks. Just leave the hose off and watch it while adding coolant. Fill until coolant comes out the hose (or block fitting), reinstall the hose and finish off filling the radiator.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I always drill an 1/8" hole in my thermostats when I install them. I put the hole in a spot where it doesn't interfere with the actual operation and position the hole toward the highest point (if stat is vertical). It lets the air past the stat so that it doesn't have to get so hot the first time to open the thermostat.
I think Autozone now sells "Duralast" thermostats with a brass check valve thingy to accomplish the same thing.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i tested the thermostat and it worked fine, it already has a 1/8" hole w/ a little check ball thing, i just cut off the check valve thing. Then I used a tall high lift to jack the front all the way and then it all filled into the block, and it took about another gallon :) thanks for the help

·
Registered
356 Posts
Try taking the thermostat housing off and filling the block up there first , then bolt the housing down and firing it up . We had to do that on some of our race motors .

·
Registered
158 Posts
well what motor are you working with? I had the same problem with my 00 5.3 motor. The old style motors had the thermostat on the upper rad hose allowing for the water to flow into the block when you fill the rad. The LS style motors the thermostat is located on the lower rad hose. I filled my block from the upper rad hose and had no problem after that.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well what motor are you working with? I had the same problem with my 00 5.3 motor. The old style motors had the thermostat on the upper rad hose allowing for the water to flow into the block when you fill the rad. The LS style motors the thermostat is located on the lower rad hose. I filled my block from the upper rad hose and had no problem after that.

yea, its an 04 4.8 so the thermo is on the lower hose, but i got it solved by filling it in the upper hose and jacking the front up w/ a high lift
thanks though

1 - 8 of 8 Posts