Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, well I went 4x4 the other day. We didn't get stuck but we went through a huge mud puddle which was mostly water. Got to the far end and it stalled out. Okay, probably distributor wet. We checked the oil looked fine okay. So we waited a bit to see if would start okay started up. But ran like crap, normal if distributor is wet. finally drove it about 10 feet it was knocking like crazy and I didn't want to wreck anything so I stopped driving it and shut it off.

After that all I did was start it every so often to see if it would run properly.
Never ran had to get a ride into town.

Went out the next day it wouldn't even get spark. We check the alt it was fine, so my next guess is Cam or crank sensor. Which I will change out today.

But all we did that day was turn it over, no starting. Finally we decided and towed it back. got it back to my house and checked the oil it was a milky muddy looking color.

I hope I didn't bend a rod but it turned over a 100% smooth, no clunk or anything.

Now, what is everything I should check before even attempting to start it again?

I know flush the oil, I already drained it out and it's been there over night.
I am going to check the top of the pistons for anything like dirt ect....

Is there anything else I should check out?

I asked a mechanic and he said run the engine for 10 minutes at idle
than drain it again, should clean it out. I think it will do that a few times just to be safe...

Your thoughts now...

Chris

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
First off bombing through water holes is bad. cost me a motor and a tranny a few years back.

Change your oil a few times, pull the plugs, and do a compression test. If the compression is shitty, you probably bent a rod. It wouldn't surprise me if you destroyed your motor.

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
Well if you kept running it your probably fucked. I just did this in my dodge but luckily the engine is fine and dandy...cuz I shut it off.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, When I was trying to get it started it was fine, like it would turn over like nothing happened just no spark...

Chris

·
Registered
170 Posts
I would also change your axles, tranny, and t case fluids and pray because water claimed my tranny it took almost a month even after I flushed it out a half a dozen times

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn274/Ekimrots/FWW 27 APR 08/?action=view&current=Picture004.jpg

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn274/Ekimrots/FWW 27 APR 08/?action=view&current=Picture006.jpg

one of those I bet you cant make it across moments that I should have turned down.... oh yeah and that is chunks of ice floating in the water:D

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
I would also change your axles, tranny, and t case fluids and pray because water claimed my tranny it took almost a month even after I flushed it out a half a dozen times
Same here but mine lasted 2 days :homer: When you have to rebuild your tranny...waterproof it. Make sure to plug the drain hole in the oil pump and drill and tap a vent line into the top of the transmission case.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, Im going to change the diff oils, and transfer case. But not sure how high the hose went. it had it set pretty high, but I will check and change better to be on the safe side. I think I am going to put normal oil in the axles because I have already planned out a sas soon. a month or so from now, and a stick tranny.

The tranny oil is fine right now. Nothing in there. I already had it go once because of a dumb cork gasket. The engine I think it fine. I talked to a friend and he said remove the distributor. But one thing Im wondering is does the dist do anything to the spark or just turn the rotor? On the 5.9

So far the engine has been sitting in the garage draining for 2 days... next is get it sparking... Which hasn't worked since this happened im thinking cam or crank sensor... but it seemed to have like slowly failed...

When I pulled the plugs they were all black and fouled and since have been replaced and nothing on them from turning it over... Would it be a good idea to use seafoam after I do 2 oil changes? I just don't want the filter to clog and cause oil defficency's...

Back to the distributor. Should I do this or will changing the oil 3 times every 10 minutes work?

Chris

·
Premium Member
4,538 Posts
does the dist do anything to the spark or just turn the rotor? On the 5.9
Last I checked it wasn't there just to spin and look pretty. You can't seriously be asking that, so what do you really mean?

Back to the distributor. Should I do this or will changing the oil 3 times every 10 minutes work?
Changing the oil doesn't do you much good if you can't get spark. One thing at a time....

Check your cam and crank sensors, check your ASD relay, check the computer and make sure the plugs are dry (electrical connections). If you have a code reader see if you have any codes set, or if it can even talk to the ECU.

Coil failure is a possibility. If it happens to be an MSD Blaster I'd look at that before almost anything. Very bad track record with those.

I'd pull the valve covers if you may have really soaked it, I'd be most worried about grit up there, and at the cam - but the valve covers are easy to check out.

I'd do a compression test at some point too, that'll give you info on a bent/cracked parts or severely scored cylinders.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Last I checked it wasn't there just to spin and look pretty. You can't seriously be asking that, so what do you really mean?

Changing the oil doesn't do you much good if you can't get spark. One thing at a time....

Check your cam and crank sensors, check your ASD relay, check the computer and make sure the plugs are dry (electrical connections). If you have a code reader see if you have any codes set, or if it can even talk to the ECU.

Coil failure is a possibility. If it happens to be an MSD Blaster I'd look at that before almost anything. Very bad track record with those.

I'd pull the valve covers if you may have really soaked it, I'd be most worried about grit up there, and at the cam - but the valve covers are easy to check out.

I'd do a compression test at some point too, that'll give you info on a bent/cracked parts or severely scored cylinders.
Well, I think the pistons are all fine, it stalled pretty quickly and didn't take in that much water...

What I was asking if the distributor just turned the rotor and I checked and it does. Along with a Cam Sensor. The Distributor doesn't change any amps or act like a transformer along those lines. I will check the ASD relay. Though the electric box was bone dry.

I agree with checking the valve covers... I didn't see any metal or sand come out of the oil... The only way water got in is through the seals or some gasket along the way but nothing leaks out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts