Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went through some water and toasted my trans. At the moment, it is getting rebuilt along with the changing of gear oil and an oil change.

I have a 98 dodge and after i went through the deep hole, the truck brought me over 80 miles back home. The engine ran fine but i just want to make sure there isn't any water in it so that it won't be waiting to kill my truck.

So my question is, how can i check to make sure that i didn't get water in the engine? It hasn't shown any signs of screwin up in those 80+ miles after i hit the water, but i am just trying to prevent problems.

I did a search before i posted so i wouldn't get hazed, but all i could find is ways to prevent water from gettin in, not really on how to check to see if it is there. So i have two basic questions:

how can i make sure water isn't in the engine?
and
Could water get in and hurt anything else besides the diffs, trans, hubs and engine (given the fact that the axle seals are good)?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Be aware.....

Even if axle seals are good.. Axles CAN get water in them. Hot axles dunked in cold water will cool rapidly and can develop a strong suction that will possibly draw water in through seals that normally appear 100% OK.

Considering you went through enough to hose you tranny, I'd go ahead and change the gear oil. And besides... gear oil smells gooooooooooooood... mmmmmmmmm :D

·
Trailer Park Boy
18,656 Posts
Hick said:
Change your oil. If there is any water in the engine, that is where it woudl be. If there was any more water, you would have hydrolocked the motor.

Garrett
i second that.

if there was water in the pistons, you woulda been screwed way before you got home.

drain all the oil out, let it sit there with the plug out for a bit, then fill'er up.

and get a snorkle =) because the intake is the most likely place where you'll get water in your engine from.

·
Trailer Park Boy
18,656 Posts
Btw.. snorkle was just for the intake to not get water inside.

don't think that's the only way yer going to waterproof your car. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts