Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My water pump took a dump as I was unloading it off the trailer from Rubithon! :eek: It is a 2F (not sure what year because it was already in my 73 FJ40 when I bought it).Parts store sold me a Carter #FP2256.It is an inch
shorter than the one on there now(5-5/8" new) (6-5/8" old)Also the bolt circle is larger on the new one(2-7/16") verses the old one (2").The engine is
running 2 belts and has an engine oil cooler outlet.Would be nice to get a solid part # to take to my local parts house verses ordering from coolcruisers or specter.No offence to these venders but I would like to get it back on the road for the holiday weekend! Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Did you ask for a water pump for a '73 FJ40 or a 75up that have 2Fs?

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
4x4Poet said:
Did you ask for a water pump for a '73 FJ40 or a 75up that have 2Fs?
I did ask for one for 75 and up.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I have no idea what you've run into, but, if no one else does either, I have an idea. Take the old pump and parts store mismatch pump to the dealer to check against what they pull up for a late '70s waterpump. IOW, if the dealer pulls the right type pump, you'll likely know that the parts store messed up. Otherwise, I'm out.

Ok, almost out. I've heard more than one Cruiserhead say that the waterpump is one item that should be sourced thru Toyota, or a Toyota parts supplier, to ensure a quality pump is supplied. Something about the inferiority of some non-Toyota pumps. That is, pumps not made by the same company that supplies Toyota with their oem replacement pumps. I do use Toyota water pumps, but I've never had concrete affirmation of what I've often heard.

·
Desert Rat
3,839 Posts
If your fan is direct drive, with a long neck and and oil cooler, then it is a 75-76 california specific water pump. I am not sure if that particular pump is still available from the dealer, but you can hit C-Dan on the MUD board with those specs to have him check. I think I still have a Cal-spec pump on the shelf, but I'm not sure. If you need me to check, DON'T PM ME! My time on the boards is getting more limited by the day. :( Just call the shop during business hours. :)

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
212 Posts
KT, I think you have the pump for the clutch fan. I have a brand new OEM pump with oil cooler for a direct drive fan, so if you strike out, you can PM me or better yet email me and we can work something out. The clutch fan type is shorter and has a wider bolt pattern than the DD. Mine has been bolted up, but the motor is still on the stand.
Ed Long
[email protected]
Kansas City

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Degnol said:
KT, I think you have the pump for the clutch fan. I have a brand new OEM pump with oil cooler for a direct drive fan, so if you strike out, you can PM me or better yet email me and we can work something out. The clutch fan type is shorter and has a wider bolt pattern than the DD....
My '77 California Fj40 has a fan clutch. The pump is on the engine, but I was able to roughly measure from the block to the outer edge of the water pump hub. Its about 5 inches, maybe a few fractions more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts