Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have lurked for some time, did some searches, and even posted a
couple of questions. Now, I am hopeful that I can give something back in
the way of a mod idea I just did on my truck. I had been having some electrical problems on the truck with the dash lights and tail lights flickering.
I fixed the usual rats nest of dumb splices made for trailer wiring by the previous owner, but the problem persisted. After consulting a wiring diagram, and asking a few questions, I found the problem was a cracked fuse box in the driver side kick panel, and the relay that controls both the dash and tail lights was loose because of this. So I ordered a new fuse box from a dealer here and as with any replacement of parts you want to upgrade or do some sort of mod that may help. An idea came to mind to try and seal the fuse box so that if I should misjudge the depth fo a stream a bit
and got some water in the floorboard that maybe I could keep the fuses dry, unless I just sunk it up to the dashboard. So I thought about it and the solution came to mind the next day while washing my hands in the kitchen sink. There was a tuperware container left in the sink full of water, that would work I thought. The fuse box came in the next day and I took it with me to a local container store. I found a clear piece of tuperware that was a little bigger than the fuse box, and bought it. Saturday morn I headed to my shop, removed the defective fuse box from the truck,that done I took the tuperware and placed it in the spot of the fuse box. you will have to do some trimming to the edges, or build them up with something in places as the surface is not exactly flat. Once I had a good surface connection, I marked the top of it to cut an opening for the wires. This is only going to be water tight from the bottom up, so a few inches of water in the truck, if I sink it I will still be screwed. Then I marked the kick panel to cut it out, and headed to the band saw. I cut the top out of the container, then cut out the kick panel to accomodate the new cover. I installed the new fuse box, tested eveything, then applied a bead of silicone around the edge of the container and put it over the top of the fuse box. The fit was perfect. Then I took some clips I bought at homedepot and some metal screws and screwed a few of them in around the edges of the container to really seal it.
I epoxyed a small L bracket to the door side edge of the container and screwed the kick panel down to it. Voila!! It should be water tight, and I also have a clear view if it were to get some water/condensation in it. I tucked some foam in around the wires at the top of the container as a bit of a shield incase of a spash. Maybe this will help someone else.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, that was constructive.
I was just sharing what I did.
Thanks for taking the time
Farging Arse Ol

·
Registered
660 Posts
Thought this was a flame free zone?

I (stupidly - my own fault) have a Painless fuse box under the hood mounted on the firewall, and a little exposed.

Have my brother working on machining a block of Delrin for a cover. He works for a CAD/CAM software company and has computer controlled mill at home. Painless doesn't make covers 'cause most folks are smart enough to put the box where it will be protected. I can't use the tupperware trick because I have been unable to find one that will fit the space.

Simon

1 - 4 of 4 Posts