Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i did a quick search and didnt come up with ayn useful info so i thought id ask. truck is a 1980 3/4 ton with a 350 in it. anyways, tomorrow i have to yank my starter and clean it and hope it works again, played in some deep muddy water and now the truck wont even turn over. so, any tips on waterproofing this thing would be great, thanks

·
Registered
219 Posts
carry a hammer. No real good way to keep them dry. Are you running the lower converter cover still? It definantly helps to. It slows the water so the flywheel is not just throwing it in your starter.

·
Web Wheeler For Hire
1,888 Posts
Even if you did get it waterproofed the water would still just run in through the starter gear into the starter motor.

I found that keeping the starter motor and solenoid waterproofed, well black gasket sealer, keeps the dust, dirt, sand etc.. out and that helps. But I drill a hole in the bottom so what water gets in after a deep crossing can drain out.

The water is not near a bad as the grit!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info. ill put a small hole in the bottom tomorrow and see how that works for me, not sure about the cover, ill double check and go from there.

i was thinking of jt getting some ziptires and plastc bagging the solenoid and then using either dielectric grease or maybe some rtv silicone on the terminals, im thinking the grease would be better as i can wipe it off if need be.

oh and its at the point where a hammer wont help it to turn over, it was beaten for a little while tonite so i think ill have to take her papart and manually clean it all.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol well the holes we were playing in were far from clean and we had to tap the starter on a few occasions actually to get the truck to fire up again.

ill dielectric the terminals when i get it back up and running and ill make sure to put a small drain hole in there aswell, thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts