Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, first of all I'm no water crossing expert.

Having said that, here is all a search turned up:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74832&highlight=compressed+air+distributor

This article has some good pointers regarding waterproofing the spark plug to wire and wire to dist cap. Also waterproofing the dist cap itself.

This guy tested it by hosing down the top of the motor with water. Great, but when you do a water crossing, the water is coming up from underneath.

As I understand it, if you get water up inside the distributor, the water conducts the spark away from the rotor and causes the engine to die, right?

Why not drill a small hole toward the top of the distributor, tap it, and put a little plastic fitting in and plumb it for compressed air? Use a gate valve pinched down so you only get a trickle of air, and certainly a dryer on the line.

Wouldn't that keep water from seeping up inside the cap, and also force water out thru the bottom if any got in?

Thoughts?

-tom

·
Registered
10,178 Posts
Seems a lot more complicated than my siliconed dist and vent tube, That's all. First you have to have OBA, a lot of people don't.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I have OBA, but I don't do a lot of water crossings. I'm just throwing a bone to the folks that do.

Complex, perhaps, but if you regularly get stuck in the middle of a river and nothing else is working.. probably would be worth the time spent.

Just a thought: How about a capillary tube coming from your exhaust manifold? Dry, hot air. Maybe a little dirty, but put a valve on it so you only use it when you need it.

-t

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
A Suzuki LJ 80 comes with this feature from the factory. There is an airhose from the cap to the heater. Flick it on defrost, and go.:D

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
if your cap has a vent in the top of it, seal it. then its just like holding an upside down glass in the watter.. you just need to move the vent to the base of the dist. also, di-electric greese is your friend. also spray a bit of wd40 inside the cap.

that shuld take care of submerging the distributer. now, if you roll .. well, it might not do the trick , but then again nothing would.
:flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
7,142 Posts
I don't know if it would work, but it does work for Fords with the 302 and 351. It is a rubber distributor cap cover found on 80-90s mustangs with the 302.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
You might do a search on the net on swamp buggy racing, the Jeeps that do this they are completly under water.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
MikeW said:
I don't know if it would work, but it does work for Fords with the 302 and 351. It is a rubber distributor cap cover found on 80-90s mustangs with the 302.

we use that same rubber distributor cap around here all its good for really is keeping the spraying water from getting the cap and wires wet.
when submerged its a different story not that I look for places to deeps six the Jeep but it has happened to me. Usually when we go out wheelin' locally I'm not the trail leader. I have the only winch so the guys make sure mine stays running when we cross water but I have been known to find a deep spot or mor often than not I find the rut from who went before me.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
If you have a Cruiser engine (f/2f/3f) you can just run the semi electronic distributor which is water proof.

If you have something like a 350 Chevy, I siliconed the hell out of the cap, worked well enough last summer though removing the cap sucked.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts