Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read somewhere that in England some of the Rover and MG guys spray their underbodies/frames of their rigs with WD40 to kleep the rust at bay and to keep mud from sticking? They spray it on with a weed pump sprayer twice a year and it keeps the steel protected even when it looks dry .
Any thoughts pro or con to using WD40 as a water displacement treatment? That's what WD stands for I understand.

I see it's $7.95 a gallon at Harbor Freight... I'd like to keep my cruiser from inviting the rust demons. Any thoughts?

bennett

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Are you sure it's WD40 and not Waxoyl? The Brits have been using Waxoil on the Rover frames for decades, that stuff is a mess but works wonders.

I have a friend who swears by a mix of parafin and diesel, also very messy but it really covers, really sticks, and according to him, really works.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I came across this this morning and thought this might be a great solution to apply once or twice a year to fight that road salt and rust?

http://www.geocities.com/wallaces_21/waxoyl.html

Here is a recipe for home made "Waxoyl". It's an old fashioned rust treatment / undercoating:

2 1/2 quarts turpentine
12 oz. beeswax / candle wax
1 quart light machine oil

With a cheese shredder, cut the wax into the turpentine, stir until the wax has dissolved, (takes a long time; you can use very low heat (a warm room) to aid but be careful) and thin with the machine oil to a brushable / sprayable consistency. Apply liberally. You can use a hand spray bottle to get into closed-off sections if you have a small access hole.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
60seriesguy said:
Are you sure it's WD40 and not Waxoyl? The Brits have been using Waxoil on the Rover frames for decades, that stuff is a mess but works wonders.

I have a friend who swears by a mix of parafin and diesel, also very messy but it really covers, really sticks, and according to him, really works.
Henry -- paraffin? Wax (USA) or Kerosene (UK)?

An Irish buddy would spray diesel (heavy oil) on the underside of his trucks and run them up and down a dirt/clay road in Ireland. Stuck like crazy and kept everything from rusting.

I would NOT use WD-40... it is good for some stuff, but would look at more suitable products. LPS#3 Rust Inhibitor is what I use on machine tools & machined items. Noticed my flywheel, which was surfaced 5 years ago, and left in a damp storage was fine once I cleaned it off.

Take a look at www.eastwoodco.com for their spray on rust inhibitor. They take products and repackage/label them. Not sure who made the "Heavy Duty Anti Rust" but have used it with good results on the old sport cars (inside rocker panels, etc). Little pricey, but if in wet area's well worth it.

Tom :usa:

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
There's a guy I know in Vermont who uses oil motor oil. Twice a year he gives his '63 Ford PU a complete coating, underside, brushed on the body and wiped off. Truck is driven daily and looks great, pretty much rust free for a 40 year old truck in the rust capital of the world. It's probably totally illegal but his logic is until about 10 years ago they used to spray used motor oil on the roads to keep the dust down. On the WD-40 note, I'm sure it might help but I don't think it would last too long. It's not a very sticky or viscous stuff and seems to evaporate fairly quickly and easily. My HJ60 which came from Quebec was sprayed twice a year with some absolutely nasty black sticky stuff all over the under body and holes were tapped and the stuff was sprayed into the interior of all major body panels. Though some body work had been done to it, it was in amazing shape and was very clean for even out here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts