Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of wrenching, but mostly trivial stuff.

Drain plug in front diff.
Front breather tube
Replaced front brake pads, the old pads had come loose in the rivets, and the driver side had blown out a quarter of the pad...
Rear brakes adjusted out a long, long ways (stops much better now)
Raised the bottom mounting point of front shocks so it is fully above the bottom of the axle
Measured and marked steel plate to bolt onto upper rear shock mount holes, to move upper shock mounts inboard.
Ground steering stabilizer bracket off front axle...
Rattle canned my wheels black again (hammertite)
Buttoned everything up tight.

So, 4.10 gears in there now, with lockright in the rear and detroit ezlocker in the front. New wheel bearings at all four corners. New brake shoes and pads. New front diff bearings and seals. New rear axle seals.

Not much to brag about, but it should be a lot happier on the trails. Now I have to save for some larger tires...

Took it out for a spin, first time in a couple months. I had forgotten how much fun it was to drive....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
955 Posts
Didn't get a whole lot accomplished. Finished gettin the 345 block completely cleaned. A couple other parts cleaned. And Oh! discovered a little nick in the #1 cylinder yesterday, that made me real happy! :mad: Gawd I hope honing them out will take care of that. Can't afford a boring out job, and new pistons.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
weekend

Got to go wheelin' Saturday at Elbe. Sorry no pictures(wife didn't go) Had a good day til' the end when I laid my windshield against a tree and cracked the pass. side.
Started working on the RV Sunday gotta get it ready for memorial day. It needs alot of work after putting it away mad in November.:(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
871 Posts
finished rear bumper and rock sliders, got 4 points of cage mounted to frame, just have rear hoop to mount to frame... finished electrical...ran out of por 15 to finish bumper, rock sliders, diffs, the only things left are to reinstall on board air tank and lines, buy weld in beadlocks, and buy soft top , then wheel the fawk out of it again....:p
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
871 Posts
and yes the mud flaps have quick connects, I live in friggin Utah.. oh ya and put the other seats back in:rolleyes:
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Puuurrrttttyy

harkinoff said:
finished rear bumper and rock sliders, got 4 points of cage mounted to frame, just have rear hoop to mount to frame... finished electrical...ran out of por 15 to finish bumper, rock sliders, diffs, the only things left are to reinstall on board air tank and lines, buy weld in beadlocks, and buy soft top , then wheel the fawk out of it again....:p
You really need a couple dents in that thing. It sure is purrrtttyyy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
871 Posts
Re: Puuurrrttttyy

Hooper said:


You really need a couple dents in that thing. It sure is purrrtttyyy

yes it needs some dents, rust, something.. its a trip to drive it now, totally different from old body.. everything works:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,089 Posts
looks very good harkinoff, i like that cage as well...did you mount it straight to the frame or did you have a bushing in between a plate from 1 tube to the one on the frame???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
589 Posts
adjusted timing so it quits running like shit, pre-inspected everything so I can get it inspected today...forgot to check the license plate light, so of course, it doesn't work:mad: I'll fix that tonight. Then I need to do some general maintence to prepare for the big breakdown this weekend. Selling off the axles and tires and rims, making room in my garage for a 60 and a 14 bolt. :D It's gonna be a fun spring:D Maybe I'll get everything done in time to hit the trails this summer, man that would be sweet.:D :bounce:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
I dropped off my 345 block to be bored .020 over, cleaned, decked, and have new freeze plugs and cam bearings installed. While there, I picked up my rods, pistons, crank, harmonic balancer and clutch from being balanced. Hopefully will have the motor ready to drop in next week.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,945 Posts
Did jack squat! It was Valentine's day and the wife b-day this weekend, so I was a little busy....

But this morning I did get my waggy pitman arm swapped in. MAN! What a difference that made in the power steering assist... I knew it would make a difference but. WOW! It is better than new, on finger on the wheel parked in the garage and I was turing it lock to lock - no power steering whine at all!! With the high-steer and the long azz scout pitman arm the pump made all sorts of noise and didn't like to turn when I was parked.

Now why didn't I tackle that 20 minute job a month ago???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,100 Posts
RACING, of course.

Two weekends in a row with minimal carnage. Woo-hoo!

Supposed to be an "ice race" in Bozeman.. turned out to be more mud..





More Pics, Video Clips

I finished 4 out of 4 in the Unlimited class. :D

I had a hard time keeping my foot out of the throttle, and the course was too mucky to get any traction.. but the crowd enjoyed it. :D

Still won a boatload of prizes at the end of the day.. some Mechanix gloves, 2 cans of Brake Cleaner, and a roadside repair/safety box with a 12V compressor, safety triangle, jumper cables, first aid kit, and a bunch of other stuff. :D

Had the only Farm Equipment there, too.

Still waiting on my 2.5" heater core from my radiator guy to put my trail rig back together.

Did pick up my YK kit for the front 60 while I was in Bozeman (finally.. bought it in September), and got the front hubs and stub shafts for the 60 in the mail on Monday. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice

tsm1mt said:
RACING, of course.

Two weekends in a row with minimal carnage. Woo-hoo!

Supposed to be an "ice race" in Bozeman.. turned out to be more mud..





More Pics, Video Clips

I finished 4 out of 4 in the Unlimited class. :D

I had a hard time keeping my foot out of the throttle, and the course was too mucky to get any traction.. but the crowd enjoyed it. :D

Still won a boatload of prizes at the end of the day.. some Mechanix gloves, 2 cans of Brake Cleaner, and a roadside repair/safety box with a 12V compressor, safety triangle, jumper cables, first aid kit, and a bunch of other stuff. :D

Had the only Farm Equipment there, too.

Still waiting on my 2.5" heater core from my radiator guy to put my trail rig back together.

Did pick up my YK kit for the front 60 while I was in Bozeman (finally.. bought it in September), and got the front hubs and stub shafts for the 60 in the mail on Monday. :D
That looks like more fun than I had!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
871 Posts
snoop dogg said:
looks very good harkinoff, i like that cage as well...did you mount it straight to the frame or did you have a bushing in between a plate from 1 tube to the one on the frame???
its mounted straight to frame, the floor board is sandwiched between two 3/8" plates bolted together, so cage can be unbolted and removed without cutting... I used 2" square stock coming off of beefed boxed frame to meet cage hoops
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,170 Posts
'bout all i did this weekend was propose to my lovely girlfriend.










































she said yes :flipoff2:
 
1 - 20 of 85 Posts
Top