Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally have something to post after almost 2 years of nothing. I finally brought my Scout out of storage and into its new home. Still a lot of organizing to do but for the most part I am ready to tear into it again and get it exactly the way I want it. Two years is a long time to plan so althought nothing majorly hard core hopefully some good tech to share.

I also have been collecting parts and such for my next project - Scogger. Plans for my '67 Scout include modified Unimog 411 axles with disc brake and pinion conversions, recentered Hummer 12 bolt rims with 39" tires, links, coils and well ... it should be a lot of fun to build.

Anyway, wife says I have to finish one before I can start on the other so got a bit to do before I can tear into the '67.

Here is my '77 and the little bit I got done today. Pressure ahshed under and in the engine compartment, took off the hood, drained the oil and changed the filter, removed the distribitor and primed engine with modified screw driver blade in drill trick, re-installed the distributor wrong so although it would crank it wouldn't start (back fired through carb) so I drained the radiator (going to replace it anyway with an aluminum one), pulled the fan and shroud and started taking apart the grill (for the sake of it) so I could get at the lower pulley nut and rotate the engine so I can realign with number 8 at TDC and get it running... oh and bug bombed the interior. By the way, Optima batteries are amazing. Almost 2 years in storage and it cranked - I have always had good luck with them and this proves it to me again.

Gratuitous picture ...

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Friday:
Finished up my months old 52" Chevy spring swap project - which lead to a front body mount swap project. Got both finished and drove the Scout down the road for a big gulp.. Nice! The 52"s really flex and ride far smoother than the stock springs.
I used some 2x4 tubing welded to the frame and the body to replace the totally rusted and trashed front cab body mounts which got cut out to make way for the fixed spring hangers.

Sat:
Watched the OSU Beavs hang on and not chock against Arizona - then went to a house warming party at Binderbounds. Good times :beer: & :fire:

Sun:
Helped another IH nut case paint and prep and clean his house to sell it.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Worked 21 hours on Thursday, slept away most of Friday. Saturday I stood in line and scored 6 tickets to the Garth Brooks show in November, then when to a friends place for a bonfire/get together. Nothing today.

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
Scogger, huh? Well if we are going to make new names from the names of our sources, mine would be a Pontiac-Chevy-Ford-Scout and maybe Dodge if I use that extra 241 for a box4rocks. :D

Again, still at Chiscouter's. The more we do the more stuff he finds for us to do. Surely I'll put some of the money towards my project, and part of it towards a new roof on the house. (I am not looking forward to that. :sad: )

Just got done watching the Bears-Packers game. The last 5 seconds was something else.

·
Registered
8,018 Posts
Friday: Pretty much nothing, except went out and checked out a new travel trailer for my parents.

Saturday: Went back out with my Dad while he bought the above travel tailer. Spent the rest of the day getting the small things fixed on the trailer. Went to Binderbounds house warming party like Ugly. Enjoyed some beers and a few spoon fulls of "Edible Elmo." Bench raced, BS'ed and made a fool of myself. All in all I think a great evening was had by all!

Sunday: Filled out a 911 job application, not an easy task by any means. That was after I watched Talladega.

So, the only thing IH related I did was bench racing at Binderbounds. Was nice to see Uglyscout's better half!:D

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
I started prepping the '77 Gay Scout for the North Texas Binders outing next weekend. I got the running boards off :barf:. That improved rocker clearance by about 3 inches. Already got the fine spare tire carrier off and the brush guard too.

Now that my traveling is just about done, maybe I can get to work on the Scout in the sig. and turn Gay Scout into a non-flaming DD with a cabtop as the license plate says.

Brett

Attachments

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I got my next engine off a cart and onto an engine stand to start my gasket, freeze plug overhaul...

Just out of curiosity, are the 52" springs always this close to the tie rod?
The camera angle is just bad - the tie rod isn't that 'close' to the springs. I think it is actually further away than with the stock springs...

I had one SOA where you couldn't change the tie rod with out jacking up the frame of the truck to get the springs to flex - so the tie rod would have enough room to be pulled out - ANd they never hit the springs when wheeling. So I am not really worried about it either way :D

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
Had to work Sat. Got the mounts bolted to the engine and Sun drop it in.
Nothing is bolted down, just sititng there. Started welding up the exhaust pipes and and thought I got all the burrs off the pipe. :shaking::shaking:

Attachments

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,986 Posts
Friday:
Finished up my months old 52" Chevy spring swap project - which lead to a front body mount swap project. Got both finished and drove the Scout down the road for a big gulp.. Nice! The 52"s really flex and ride far smoother than the stock springs.
I used some 2x4 tubing welded to the frame and the body to replace the totally rusted and trashed front cab body mounts which got cut out to make way for the fixed spring hangers.

Layed some tile, started decorating for Halloween, cleaned up the beadlocks to get ready for axle swap and SOA on the S80.

Ugly Scout, I'm gathering parts to do the same, only I have a set of Chebby 52's and a set of springs from a Bronco II (Offset centerpin, about 54" ~ 26" short side, same as the 52's) EDIT: BII springs 56" 26" short side, 30" long side.
Got more pics of the body mount relocation and spring swap?
I'm not sure which set will work better in the front v/s rear, yet. I plan on doing a shackle reversal at the same time. Any reason for keeping the front shackle, or just 'cause it was easier to keep it?

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Ugly Scout, I'm gathering parts to do the same, only I have a set of Chebby 52's and a set of springs from a Bronco II (Offset centerpin, about 54" ~ 26" short side, same as the 52's)
Got more pics of the body mount relocation and spring swap?
I'm not sure which set will work better in the front v/s rear, yet. I plan on doing a shackle reversal at the same time. Any reason for keeping the front shackle, or just 'cause it was easier to keep it?
1) I could get more pics - but it is all very ghetto so please do not copy me. 'Body mount' is 2x4x.120 box with 1.5"x.120 tube and 4"x.120 flat all welded together and to the frame and to the body. I ran 50" of 2x4 inside/next/under each rocker/door/floor. I ran 3 pieces of tube to the frame and welded it all together.
2) I went shackle forward, as I have had very good luck shackle forward, and it really fits my ghetto, booty fab, ultra frugal style. I'm so damn cheap I make homeless people look like big spenders...
3) As for the springs - On my Scout II - I would have like to have the spring center pin about 4" forward of where it ended up, but I was limited by my spring choice and my front hanger location. And when you do your calcs. for the fixed eye to shackle location - figure the 52" Chevy springs will be flat and a full 52" long at ride height. I didn't believe the calcs. were working until I drew it in CAD and proved to myself that the 1st shackles I planned to use were far too short.

More pics:

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
Ugly, how long are your shackles? The angle on them looks to ba about 45*, is that right? Been wanting to keep leaf springs on my project cause it's old tech and it's cheap. I gos some infor on that from BLK Scout 800 and want to know if yours is the same.

·
Registered
6,962 Posts
Thursday. Gutted the dashboard, cleaned up some wiring and cut out even more of my drivers side floor/firewall.

Friday. Pulled the front fenders off and found about 46 lbs of dirt and leaves, a few tools, a lottery ticket from another century, what I'm pretty sure was a dead bird, and some trash. I finally found a decent piece of metal on my Scout. The driver's side inner fender looked brand new once I cleaned the 30 years of gunk off it. I started cutting some sheet to make panels to repair some parts of the tub I cut out and I broke my shear.

Saturday. Made a pick and pull wrong and struck out, not a single thing I couldn't live without. No 97+ Cherokee parts, no Chevy TBI stuff that wasn't in a fire, I couldn't even find the Caliper cores I needed. Spent the rest of the day hanging out at a Buddy's house, and the night at another friends.

Sunday. Started early on the Scout and broke some tools... Decided it wasn't going to be a good day and quit working on it about 930am.

Monday. Went to a couple places to try to find parts for the mig welder I acquired for a buck, no luck. No one wants to sell me a tip adapter/gas diffuser for an old Schumacher, I guess I'll have to keep searching or buy a new gun for it. Picked up a few more things for the baby room while I was out. Also did a little maintenance on the Heep in preparation for it's 1400 round trip next week.

Yup, it was a 5 day weekend and I really don't have a whole lot to show for it, and I'm perfectly ok with that. :D

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,986 Posts
Thanks for the additional pics...they are ghetto-fab-ulous :grinpimp: My plan is similar for sliders, but will cut the bottom of the rocker and extend the 2x4 further out, sorta like Mocha Mikes's.

I measured the Bronco II springs again, they are about 2.5" wide 56" long w/ 5 thin leaves, short side 26", long side is about 30"

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Saturday I stood in line and scored 6 tickets to the Garth Brooks show in November.
i hate you...:flipoff2: ive never been to any of his concerts while he was on tour and this is supposedley his last one stop concert... and he picked Kansas of all places...:flipoff2::shaking:

FRI: ordered some special parts:smokin::D:smokin: youll just have to wait and see what they are... and Scout254 dont ruin the fun for me on here...
:flipoff2:
SAT: shoveled and wheel barrowed 4 yards of top soil fill...

SUN: started and finished stringing up my duck/ goose decoys...

·
Registered
741 Posts
Replaced the motor mounts and transmision mount. Installed wiper motor and wiper arm mechanism. Also put an inline fuel pressure regulator and guage. Wanted to get the rock lights in but ran out of time.

Dropped the Suburban off for new catalytic converters and front and rear brakes plus a speed sensor. Bye bye money :(

·
Registered
159 Posts
Spent the weekend rewiring the Baja bug from tail to nose. Lifted the hood of the scout to double check remote solenoid set up.:shaking: Almost done with the rewire. Then I'll have a chance to replace the scouts throttle cable and maybe get out out wheel before I head north again - man the seasons go by quick!

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
Replaced the motor mounts and transmision mount. Installed wiper motor and wiper arm mechanism. Also put an inline fuel pressure regulator and guage. Wanted to get the rock lights in but ran out of time.

Dropped the Suburban off for new catalytic converters and front and rear brakes plus a speed sensor. Bye bye money :(
Glad to see your getting your "new" rig up and running. I should have followed your lead and I could have stop wheeling at "Four Jackstands" a long time ago.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts