Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What nobody doing anything any more:flipoff2: I did not see any pic's from the NW boys trip either.:shaking:

Putts about a bit on the Scout trying to figure out my exhaust setup. Need to decide on single or duals. X over or Y pipe. Stop by the local Muffler shop and they are willing to work with me on what ever I want. He had a take off from a New Chevy pickup he said I could have, but said it would not fit. I could get it in there, but it would be a bit tight. I could put it farther back above the axle. 12" wide by 9" tall by 24" long:eek::eek: Shitty photo but its a 3" in and out Plus I got the tail pipe too.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,013 Posts
I wheeled.... but since I didn't even take the camera out of its case, I guess I didn't untill proven otherwise.

Besides, I'm a web wheeler anyway. No way I'd actually get dirty anywere away from a keyboard :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Rusty you don't have to drive to get dirty. On the way out of Chitown my baggage went through fine, but coming home I was 15 lbs over:eek: I think I must have 15 lbs of extra dust in the dirty clothes:laughing:

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
Fixed my clothes dryer on Saturday. First I thought it was the coils on the gas valve ($15) and turned out to be the ignitor. ($45) If I had just paid attention to what it was not doing, I'd have saved a bunch of time and money.

Sunday I cleaned out my Jeep. Feels good to not be driving a garbage truck again. Also fixed the rear window hatch and wiper. I've had the Jeep two years and never been able to open the hatch window. Next I guess I get to fix the sunroof again.

·
Registered
6,962 Posts
I actually made some progress. Got my perches welded on my 14 bolt, finished gutting the drivers side floor and cut a replacement panel, and welded the inserts up on my drag link. This is the first time in about 6 months my Scout has been on 4 tires and no jackstands.

My eldo calipers blew up on me so I didn't weld the brackets on, and I'm still undecided on shock placement. Don't worry I will eventually be getting bigger tires to fill the holes, and she still has a long way to go before I'll drive it.

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
I actually made some progress. Got my perches welded on my 14 bolt, finished gutting the drivers side floor and cut a replacement panel, and welded the inserts up on my drag link. This is the first time in about 6 months my Scout has been on 4 tires and no jackstands.

My eldo calipers blew up on me so I didn't weld the brackets on, and I'm still undecided on shock placement. Don't worry I will eventually be getting bigger tires to fill the holes, and she still has a long way to go before I'll drive it.
I tried to run my shocks like that before. It will cut up the upper bushings up. I ordered the rancho shocks for a lifted scout. When I was driving really fast and stupid on the rough stuff it would rip the stock brackets off the frame.

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
I walked by the Scout about 4 times and started it for the sirct time in 2-3 weeks. EFI made a sitting start much easier.

I am consolidating parts, freeze plugs, gaskets and seals for the "new" 345 to be swapped in in the next few months.

I think I'll spray the engine compartment white and the engine high heat lime green just to piss off the purists...

·
Registered
6,962 Posts
I tried to run my shocks like that before. It will cut up the upper bushings up. I ordered the rancho shocks for a lifted scout. When I was driving really fast and stupid on the rough stuff it would rip the stock brackets off the frame.
They are still hanging from the stock mounts and not attached at the axle. I was too lazy to remove them.

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,986 Posts
Nice find on the slide-in/pop-up Mechanos... down here a buddy of mine paid $2500 for a similar styled '02 model.
I didn't wheel but I watched some good action at the WErock Nationals in at Spring Creek (just north of Houston, TX) on Sunday, missed Saturday though.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Finished most of my front spring swap to 52" Chevys during the week. No Scout work on the weekend.

Friday: Cleaned up around the house for an open house to try and sell the place. Closed the hood on the Scout to make it look 'tidy'.

Saturday: Went to a different house and hauled 3 yards of yard debris to the recycler - then hauled a couple tons of trash to the dump. Cleaned up and watched OSU clean up on the Little Sisters of the Blind (Idaho State) 61-10 -- drank beer :D
Got a call during the 4th quarter that someone made an offer on our house --- Drank to that!

Sunday: 60th B-day for my mom -- lots of sitting and talking.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
went deer hunting and saw 12 does no bucks...:(:(

·
Registered
59 Posts
Worked on the '61 to try and get everything buttoned up before Moab. Back half of the suspension/drivetrain is done except shocks and fluids. Fought the tie rod and it won :mad3: Moved on to front brake work and electrical.

Also took the time to admire the winch the wife had shipped to the house as a surprise for me. Tmax 12k Outback Series. Then I gave her a list of other items to order as she seems to be good at helping with that part of the build.:eek:

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
went deer hunting and saw 12 does no bucks...:(:(
HA HA, went wheeling and now I have a fridge full of fresh deer meat:flipoff2:

My friends popped a buck and I hauled the meat out so they can stay and try to fill the last deer tag.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Loaded up my wife n' kid on my birthday and drove 250 miles to Billings in the Travelette - took a lot longer than it should have, since the + battery cable took a dump 30 miles from home when we stopped for fuel (worked fine cranking for 30s that morning to get fuel up into the Edelbrock)

Walked 6 blocks to NAPA just before they closed at 4pm after working on it for a while and changing the battery, etc.

Had my birthday dinner at a tiny diner in Harlowton, MT in central MT. Hot roast beef sandwich n' gravy. Not bad.

On Sunday, I wheeled.

At ~75mph...

New ladder bar worked well - it didn't break, and I didn't notice it detracting in any way, and I didn't *notice* any wheel hop. Seemed to hook up well.

Finished in the middle of the pack in the heat race.

The rear shock mounts, OTOH.. I didn't really expect them to last when I put 'em in, but it's been a couple of years.. but they finally quit.

Had some cold welds by the looks of it. I'll have to fix that..

Broke the whole shock hoop off. Bent both shafts.

Pulled the shocks entirely and went back out for the final race - and probably finished last on that one (dunno if anyone else broke - three cars didn't even start the main, so I beat them) - rear end bounced a bunch w/o rear shocks. I tried to "go big" over the big jump just once without the rear shocks in place, and the tail lights tried to climb over the headlights about the same time the front tires hit the ground. I decided that was enough fun for one day, and did my best to limit how far/hard I made the rear end work, and drove for a finish.

Motor ran hot - 230/240F by the time I was done. It was also trailing a little blue smoke during the hot-laps (in low range, holding it at 6k/3rd around the track).

Probably time for an overhaul again, and some fresh rings. Maybe I'll finally try more cam..

Pictures

Video is still on the cameras.

-Tom

·
Registered
522 Posts
re-geared a j**P and made some extra money to buy more goodies for the scout.

the girlfriend reminded me why i like her.
she said "your scouts are gunna be pissed, your cheating on them with a j**P."

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
HA HA, went wheeling and now I have a fridge full of fresh deer meat:flipoff2:

My friends popped a buck and I hauled the meat out so they can stay and try to fill the last deer tag.

yeah up yours... how big was it??

1 - 20 of 24 Posts