Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Holley Projection Install

Saturday I started the projection install. Here is what I started with:

I mounted the pump to a piece of 2" tube cut down with 1/4" rubber to a small base that was then welded to the frame. Later I may move the pump to the inside of the frame rail

I modified the 4 barrel adapter to fit on the 2 barrel. I need to bore my other manifold and R&R

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The TBI mounted with connections, no real problems thus far

The throttle linkage had concerned me, but I found the factory IH linkage is setup for both a 2 and 4 barrel carb. Moved the linkage over to the 4 barrel position and it hooked right up. I need to work on the return spring placement, requires a little more pedal pressure then I'd like

I bought the unit used and the wiring harness was a mess. I only used a portion of the original wiring and ran new as needed. I had to cut the controller plug down and re-terminated with new plugs. The Molex plugs will also make it easy to trouble shoot problems. The plugs and wire off to right are for the O2 sensor

My official helper for the weekend

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Initial Power Up (fire extinguisher at the ready).......

Problems

1. I had/have a slight drip on the input side, tightened down the clamps and just a slight drip. I'll have to replace the fitting

2. The input is not the input, tried firing up the Scout but nada, no fuel. Quick check of the manual, feed and return lines bass-ackwards

3. Drip now officially on the return side :D

Start-up

No problems, idling like a champ. Adjusted the idle screw but for the most part seems to have little effect on the idle. Let it warm up and started playing with the accel pump, slight hesitation.

Road Trip

I decided to take her for a spin around the block. The system was performing like a champ, very responsive, added power. I had a big ass :D on my face. I decided to push and move out onto city streets. Made a right into traffic and got on it a little. Running great. Stop at a light make a right to head home. After coming out of the turn I get a stumble, then it dies. Oh oh. No tools, no phone, no wallet. Boy am I going to be in trouble if the wife has to come get me. I managed to get it started but it's idling like crap and I'm able to limp it home.

The system is going to need a fair amount of tuning. I need to fill up the tank as that may have been the cause of the problem. Once I'm sure if the tank is full then I can tune more.

·
Premium Member
8,778 Posts
Is that one of the Rochester mini-van units or a Pro-jection?

seem to recall Rochester has a setup on later 80's - early 90's that are similar to the Holley units...

Looks cool...keep updating and good luck tooning it:D

As for me I actually went wheeling.....:D :D :D I though reminded myself of the need for injection...and gearing.

Self induced wheel spin + steep obstacle = bitchy carb!

Felt great to be on a trail in the Scout rather than the Montero.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
As has been the case for the last month - didn't do anything.

Heck it even started to rain (and rain hard) and I didn't even move the Scout to the garage....

Man, I am a Scout loser!

But this coming Saturday I plan to wheel for the first time since January!!!! I am sure I will have broken pictures next week.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Cowered in the basement and held onto my ass yesterday as 14 tornadoes danced through town fuckin' shit up all around me. An F-4 class tornado passed by about a mile north of my house :eek: but I was lucky enough that I don't even think I lost a leaf off of a tree.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
I installed my hydraulic steering, installed the mass air meter, etc. on my motor, wired up a couple switches, installed tranny cooler, fans, etc. and for the first time in a year and a half -

My Scout moved under its own power!! I even went as far as to drive it to the gas station closest to my shop and fill it up! Was the best $20.00 in gas I've ever pumped!!!

Its all downhill from here! Soon as I get the fenders cut and get it painted, etc. I'll post some pics!

I've never been this excited!!!

·
Registered
955 Posts
Finished replacing both rockers on the scout. I just sawsalled what was left of the old ones, and welded 2x4x11g rec. tube in place. Then trimmed some sheet metal down behind the doors. Then I opened up the engine bay for the bigger powerplant. Most of the inner fender and wheel wells are out. Now I can start gettin the engine & tranny mounts made, then start trying to line things up. Progress on a budget.

Cowered in the basement and held onto my ass yesterday as 14 tornadoes danced through town fuckin' shit up all around me. An F-4 class tornado passed by about a mile north of my house but I was lucky enough that I don't even think I lost a leaf off of a tree.

TORC,

I thought for sure we were going to get some of that storm when it passed over us Sat. afternoon. Dark onimus(sp) clouds to the west with a strong cold wind comin from the east. That sometimes spells trouble up here in Northern Kansas. Glad to see ya made it though.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Re: Holley Projection Install

jdjanda said:
Saturday I started the projection install. Here is what I started with:
Joe, I ain't never seen that many vacuum hoses in my life - at least 3 times as many as my Scout ever had. Kalifornia emissions?

·
Premium Member
5,013 Posts
cross pst...

hee hee, sh*t a hub on Friday.... blowed it up real good :redneck:, knew I should have brought a trail spare.

Fixed it Saturday (all it was was the hub) then pretty much flopped it on Sunday :flipoff2: Bent the drag link, pealed a bead and had to crawl out of it. Got some work to do We pulled it out, set the bead (wheel's still full of mud/clay :D), pulled the draglink off and straitend it, and drove it out... found out I pretty much killed the rag joint as well... time to loose that.

Hey, it ran kept running! course the oil pressure dropped, so we shut it off after a while.. but all it well now :D.

Following Jeff and Brad (and Big Mark) can be dangerous.... but fun!!! Good guys to wheel with. Learned some things riding with Brad and watching Jeff... and some changes to make to my rig in its next incarnation.... time to go on a diet !!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Went to PNP saturday and got a set of Dana 60 gears for my 1210. Got another ford HP 44 cover and some misc pocket items (they charge $2 now). Installed the gears on sunday and now she is very highway freindly.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Never happens in CA???

TORC said:
Cowered in the basement and held onto my ass yesterday as 14 tornadoes danced through town fuckin' shit up all around me. An F-4 class tornado passed by about a mile north of my house :eek: but I was lucky enough that I don't even think I lost a leaf off of a tree.
I was in the garage while my kids were playing out front, when my son yells out, "Is that a tornado"? I ran out to look and sure enough a big ass funnel cloud coming down. It was fawking amazing! Never even close to hitting the ground, but it was huge. You could see the clouds swirling violently. It really was impressive. I've NEVER seen that in real life.

·
Banned
5,282 Posts
Steering stuff...

1) Steering:
I thought I had it all figured out but even with my stock Chevy knuckes, 1" spacer and HySteer arms (bent upward 15*) I was unable to clear the springs at full turn and barely rub the spring clamp when going straight. Drat!

Looks like I need some PartsMike knuckles ~ that 1/2" of clearance will allow me to get the clearance AND run a bigger Link... So ordered them up and got them Friday and put things together...

Installed them Friday night and installed my Heims and spacers and built the TieRod ....and ....what the heck is this?

Well my plan to use the 78-79 2WD ford box :nuke:. The plan was to use this box because it is an inside the frame - reverse facing pitman arm box, but.....the junction where the pitman arm and D-Link meet are 2" above the new TieRod...so if I were to flex the driver tire up...they'd collide.

I can't move the Box forward (since I'd need to cut-out the grill) and I can move it backward (just don't want the D-link Behind the TieRod)....time to scrap those plans. Looks like a standard Scout II box and Hydro-assist is whats in the cards for Snoop. Parts ordered and should be in sometime...

Cage and Seats: Installed.

Rear Axle:
Threw out the drums, rebuild the R&P again ~ this time with a Detroit. Cut down some custom alloy shafts for it. Lastly a BlackBird Customs disk conversion...and paint.

So I'm thinking that I might be done with it by Memorial Day Weekend (....crossing fingers...)

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: Re: Holley Projection Install

scoutver5.7 said:

Joe, I ain't never seen that many vacuum hoses in my life - at least 3 times as many as my Scout ever had. Kalifornia emissions?
It's pretty disgusting the number of vacuum lines. Most of it is for the disty to the vacuum temp sensor. But it did look like an Octopus puked in the engine compartment. Some 75's also have a smog pump even more hoses. :rolleyes:

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
Re: Steering stuff...

Snoopy said:

Looks like I need some PartsMike knuckles ~ that 1/2" of clearance will allow me to get the clearance AND run a bigger Link... So ordered them up and got them Friday and put things together...

Why not dump the rod ends and use TREs. Fawk of alot cheaper!

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: Steering stuff...

Snoopy said:
1) Steering:
I thought I had it all figured out but even with my stock Chevy knuckes, 1" spacer and HySteer arms (bent upward 15*) I was unable to clear the springs at full turn and barely rub the spring clamp when going straight. Drat!

Have you twisted the knuckles? Add a little twist to help clear the springs.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Re: Re: Steering stuff...

Old Scout said:

Why not dump the rod ends and use TREs. Fawk of alot cheaper!
I ran 7/8 shafts on all my TRE's beefy, but moog TRE's that size are not real cheap...

1 - 20 of 47 Posts