Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is to aid people who "search" hehehe

I've come from import racing where weight is critical. I believe it to be very important when modding your Zuk.

Here are a list of parts and their weights. These are from a 1994 model and "should" be similar in most models. I have listed them in your (archaeic) measurement.

I'm converting my "Mall cruiser" into a competant 4B. Body parts will be listed and I'll add mechanical weights as I replace/modify them.

If you have some weights that you think would be useful, post them and I'll edit my post.

Body:
Targa bar.........22 lbs
(with supports 31 lbs)
Rear seats.......24.5 lbs (each)
Front seats......26 lbs (each)
Rear mat..........4 lbs
Rear trims........4 lbs (total)
Tailgate............24 lbs
Doors..............30 lbs (each)
Petroworks tube doors......7 lbs (each)
Windscreen.........42 lbs
ARB bumper............75 lbs
Ford shock towers......15 lbs
Petroworks skid plate.........45 lbs
Petroworks sport cage........105 lbs
Petroworks Zbar eliminator...50 lbs

Drivetrain:
"long" motor......95 lbs
t/case................40-45 lbs
Petroworks P/S kit..........20 lbs
5 speed trans.............70 lbs

Wheels/tyres:
31 x 11.5 MT on 15 x 8 rockcrawlers......68 lbs
33 x 14.5 SSR swampers.........74 lbs each

EDIT: I'm only going to add stuff to this list that people may change or modify so that they have an idea of the effect of their changes

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
i think the weight chart is cool. everyone should post what they know so a full chart can be made. info on frames, axles, body tub, hood, axles, etc can all be useful.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Update for your Targa this is from what i had posted a yr ago update to weight if your wondering I removed the targa bar both stringers and the door tie ins. Broke the targa down to make it easier for shipping taped it into a cylinder form and had it weighed for shipping 31# total the Rat is on a new diet lost complete door guts and halfed the doors also. guessin at least another 8# a door also lost the gas tank, I'm buyin Poppys fuel cell. Im just thinkin thats less then the stock tank.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Better count welds... In the new Off Road magazine, they did a story on a SoCal shop that builds Race Trucks. They noted that on a complete chassis Mig welding will weigh 40# more that Tig welding because of the material in the welds... thought that was interesting considering how much we build cages, bumpers, rock sliders, tube clips, etc...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Anybody know ENG. TRANS, and TC weights A newer 2.0?
I have a 1.6l short block I'll post . But I only have a 8v head thats laying around with a tranny and sami case. Try to weigh them today.

I'm in the process of designing a new tube chassie. I'm thinking a 2.0,the auto and a sami 6.1 case.

·
Registered
110 Posts
good tread will end using mine 4 snowrunning where every # counts rite now wondering weight diff between toy axles and stockers

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Shipping weigh for a rebuilt is 95 lbs head and bottom completely assembled

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
If the drivetrain is stout enough, who cares what it weighs? The ONLY reason I see concern for weight is for the ease of spotters tugging on the rigs. I had a Scout II on fullwidths and 39s that weighed in at about 7,200 fully geared and ready to rock. I rarely remember spinning a tire, climbed like a mo-fo, and I have pics of insane crossups that I don't even remember the truck going through. It was a point and shoot rig. I guess weight equaled traction in this case.
Anyone paying attention to the drivers who are starting to realize that their ultra-lightweight rigs aren't working like the planned, so they are filling their tires with water and such? Building heavier frames, putting thicker plating on the belly to put some pounds on, but down low? As long as the truck can hold its own, I don't think weight matters much at all.
BUT....with the severe lack of power that the Zuk motors DON'T provide, and the lack of WB that they also don't provide, I think it might be of a SLIGHT concern, but not enough to start weighing out gas caps and valve cores.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
twistedmetal said:

Anyone paying attention to the drivers who are starting to realize that their ultra-lightweight rigs aren't working like the planned, so they are filling their tires with water and such? Building heavier frames, putting thicker plating on the belly to put some pounds on, but down low? As long as the truck can hold its own, I don't think weight matters much at all.

tell this to Shaffer/Clifford who claims that one of the contributing factors to winning ARCA last year was because of his light weight rig:flipoff2:
id rather wheel my 2500# sami then some 4500#heep anyday and i own a heep also :D

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Islandzuki said:
id rather wheel my 2500# sami then some 4500#heep anyday and i own a heep also :D [/B]
Yeah? Ever mashed the throttle on something with 500 HP and 60s? How much your rig weighs doesn't really come into mind.:D

Also, tell the class WHY you would rather drive tha sammi than the jeep-other than the fact that it's a jeep. And that comparison doesn't solve much, I'd rather walk than wheel a Jeep!:flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Yah mike is running tracys rig but that becuz his rig is'nt done Which is a heep (to pleez the sponsers) :flipoff2:

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
twistedmetal said:
Also notice that Shaffer isn't running the "Zuk" anymore, they are running Tracy's old Cruiser, which hardly balances on the scale with the old Sammi.
only because his new "jeep" is not completed yet. he is going with the light weight strategy again. however i don't think it'll be as ight as his last rig. as for weight i don't think it matters as much in flat rocky sections as it does for climbing steep climbs. for climbing light definately makes a diference.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
High5 said:

only because his new "jeep" is not completed yet. he is going with the light weight strategy again. however i don't think it'll be as ight as his last rig. as for weight i don't think it matters as much in flat rocky sections as it does for climbing steep climbs. for climbing light definately makes a diference.
Again, I say that YES, lightweight matters WHEN A SPOTTER is involved, as in COMPS. But I will have to disagree with you (to a point) on the hillclimbing factor. Weight=forced traction. When a tire with 20 psi squats at the trail head, you know you're grippin, correct? But like I said, with that much weight, you gotta be able to back it up with stout components.
I'm not necessarily saying that a heavy rig is better, but I don't think that we need to start weighing out individual components.
Once again, I turned a simple thread into an argument, sorry, but it is kinda fun!
I just added a sh*tload of weight to my Sidekick in the form of tubing because for one, I am not worried about the added weight affecting my rigs performance, and two, I am more concerned about functionality over weight loss.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Also, tell the class WHY you would rather drive tha sammi than the jeep-other than the fact that it's a jeep. And that comparison doesn't solve much, I'd rather walk than wheel a Jeep!:flipoff2: [/B][/QUOTE]

I do like my Jeep(Rubicon) But i like wheeling my sammi and watching the heeps on the trail struggle on a obstacle that i easily drive through:D

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Islandzuki said:
Also, tell the class WHY you would rather drive tha sammi than the jeep-other than the fact that it's a jeep. And that comparison doesn't solve much, I'd rather walk than wheel a Jeep!:flipoff2:
I do like my Jeep(Rubicon) But i like wheeling my sammi and watching the heeps on the trail struggle on a obstacle that i easily drive through:D [/B][/QUOTE]

:confused: And that has WHAT to do with a 1500 pound weight difference? Yeah, nuthin.

Fatkid: You can't be trusted, six months ago, you said Boogers were where it was at!:flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
You trust me rite twisted i may be a side seat driver but i know what i'm talkin about i don't like bogger

·
Registered
600 Posts
i would rather eat a diaper full of maggots than drive a heep!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts