Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been triple towing my wheeling rig for a coupe of years now. I just bought a new flatbed to pull the jeep on. The new trailer is a 6 inch channel PJ equipment trailer with 7000lb axles and brakes. On my last trailer I welded a 2 inch receiver on the back of the car hauler to hook up my camper. The camper is a small pop up that weighs about 2000lbs empty and has a max weight of about 2900lbs. I never has any trouble with the receiver that I welded onto the last trailer pulling the camper.

When I ordered the new trailer I selected the option to have the 2 inch receiver hitch welded on at the factory and to have the new trailer wired with a 7 pin plug in the rear for the camper. My question is that I can't seem to find any weight ratings for the hitch that is on the back of the new trailer. Here is the link to the hitch part on the PJ website http://https://parts.pjtrailers.com/150507.html I talked to the dealer and they said that they have never seen a weight rating listed. The only advice that they could give me was that they have farmers that are pulling the gooseneck flatbeds with the same rear hitch installed. They are pulling round bales of hay on the gooseneck and then pulling their bailers behind the trailer using the receiver. (I have no Idea how much a bailer weighs)

I was wondering if anyone on here had ever pulled anything behind any of these factory installed receiver hitches? Or if anyone had any thoughts on pulling a 3000 lb camper with one of these hitches. The camper only has about 300 lbs of tongue weight and because it is a pop up when we are towing it there is really no wind resistance. If anyone has any thought on running this setup please let me know. :confused:

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
wait a minute, youre towing double tag trailers? Or did I read that wrong and your new PJ is a GN? Hopefully the latter.

At any rate, forget the dealer, just call PJ and get the info from them. Anyone's guess on here would probably be just that, a guess. I don't think those pop up campers have much tongue weight so the only real question in my mind is the strength of the trailer front to rear, and with 6" channel I'm guessing youre good to go for anything I'd want to pull behind it!

Out of curiosity, why didn't you just get a long enough trailer to sit the camper on the tongue of?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I am double towing bumper pull trailers. I know that some people believe that as soon as you pull out of the driveway the entire rig will explode, but that has not been my experience at all. I am puling with a 2013 3/4 ton crew cab Chevrolet pickup with a Duramax. I then have the 16 foot bumper pull car hauler that I described earlier. The trailer that I had before this one was the same, but it was a 20 ft. Then behind that I pull my pop up camper. I have pulled the old setup with the 20 foot trailer almost 6000 miles with absolutely no problems.

I have pulled this setup through the mountains in both California and Colorado as well as in 30-40 mph winds. I have a sway control bar on the camper and it never really moves at all back there.

I think people get worried about towing in this manner because they have either personally had or have heard about people having bad experiences double towing bumper pull trailers. I Think many of these bad experiences are created by the setups people are trying to pull.

Many of there people are pulling with a truck that is to small for the weight they have behind it. Another problem some of these people have is that the first trailer in setup has no way to adjust the tongue weight. Tongue weight is one of the most important factors in getting a trailer to pull and handle well. Many of there people are pulling a bumper pull camper that was manufactured to have 10% tongue weight when it was hooked up and level. This will make the trailer pull well. But when they hook another trailer behind that one the tongue weight is decreased significantly. This makes the trailers sway and handle poorly when towed in tandem.

I believe that the reason this particular setup has pulled so well for me is that I can just pull the jeep ahead farther on the car hauler to adjust the tongue weight once the camper is hooked up. The combination of having a very small (2800 lb) second trailer in the rear, being able to make sure the front trailer has enough tongue weight, and having a tow vehicle that is appropriately sized for the load are the keys to making a setup where you can reliably double tow bumper hitch trailers.

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
It doesn't matter how well it pulls its a matter of time before your pulled over. Its not legal pulling doubles and both being bumper pull. First unit has to be 5th wheel.

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
Yes I am double towing bumper pull trailers.

I think people get worried about towing in this manner because they have either personally had or have heard about people having bad experiences double towing bumper pull trailers. I Think many of these bad experiences are created by the setups people are trying to pull.

It doesn't matter how well it pulls its a matter of time before your pulled over. Its not legal pulling doubles and both being bumper pull. First unit has to be 5th wheel.

Yup, it's illegal in CA.
That's also why they won't give you a tow rating on it.
Most trailer shops I know will tell you a receiver hitch on the back of a bumper pull trailer is only rated for bike racks.

·
old school idiot
1,594 Posts
yes its legal in cal to tow double. just because you can't figure it out doesn't make it wrong. I have 2 friends that are CHP DOT cops and both agree. I have a friend who used to tow 2 bumper pulls to glamis every year. he carried copies of DMV code in the truck for when he got pulled over. he changed to a 5th wheel because he got tired of educating dumb cops. he has a CDL also. and no I'm not going to prove it to you with code #'s because I don't give a crap if its legal or not

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It IS legal in most states. There are some that require the first trailer to be a fifth wheel. Minnesota is one of thema nd there are probably others, Most of the states allow it. Here is link to the laws in all 50 states.

Rules of the Road

I have this and another source copied and in the glove box of my truck, But to be honest I have never been pulled over for the trailers. I was pulled over for speeding once and they never said anything about the trailers except comenting on the jeep.

If you read throught the laws. Ony a few states say that the first trailer has to be a fifth wheel. THey just give maximum lengths for the total rig. I am well within those. My total length fromt he front of the truack to the back of the camper is only 62 ft.

To just make a blanket statemnt that it is illegal is not correct. It may be where some people live, but most states do allow it.

·
Premium Member
14,084 Posts
Or you dont have the code numbers. I do care if its legal or not so I would apriciate them if they do exist.

·
old school idiot
1,594 Posts
the key factor is the CDL

·
Registered
186 Posts
did not see anything in that link about number of trailers allowed for Cali or any of the other states I glanced at???

this however...https://apps.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648.pdf

states for a basic class C license
no passenger vehicle may tow more than one vehicle

The CA DMV web site says: No passenger vehicle, pickup truck, or RV may tow more than one other vehicle without a Commercial Class A license, with endorsement.

V C Section 21715 Passenger Vehicle Combinations Number and Weight Limits
Passenger Vehicle Combinations: Number and Weight Limits

21715. (a) No passenger vehicle regardless of weight, or any other motor vehicle under 4,000 pounds unladen, shall draw or tow more than one vehicle in combination, except that an auxiliary dolly or tow dolly may be used with the towed vehicle.

(b) No motor vehicle under 4,000 pounds unladen shall tow any vehicle weighing 6,000 pounds or more gross.

·
Premium Member
4,214 Posts

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts