Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys after searching and not finding the info I'm really after decided to post.

Heres the deal I got my Int'l out today for the first time in awhile, insured today.. still have to send in reg. After putting so much work into it, I feel let down… some things are easy fixes.. exhaust is 4' off the the turbo under the cab. Loud and stinky. The gearing is terrible.. hate it. ON to the subject.

Weight ratings… I've read up enough but I still don't seem to have the best handle on it. Maybe because what I have (2500hd) and my trailer (18k) are so far apart on recommended ratings I'm lost.

I pulled on the scales last time, with 1/4 tank and the fam + the dog at 26,500.

With out exact #s on me I remember the rear axle of truck at 8000 and some change. Front around 5xxx and the trailer (3axles) were around 13k.
I think I read max towing like 13k…

Truck has GVWR of 10,000, Front axle rating of 5200, and rear axle rating of 6200.

How big of a truck do I really need. I was looking at f450 ratings. Seems to be at the minimum of my truck needs.. GRoss combined weight of a 2000 450 with a v10 is 22,000 lbs.. that still isn't enough…. TRUCK Right?

·
Registered
786 Posts
sorry to hear :( ,

but that a 4X4 MDT sucks for highway (or any way :p) driving is no big surprise for me
(and i think a whole bunch of others told you so as well)
dont take this wrong but some of us have "been there done that" and you ignored the advise ;)

your trailer is a big heavy mofo :eek: ... i personally would think about a diet / downsizing if you keep towing with the Denali,
or if thats not possible i would seriously look into a small HDT (class 7-8) truck like the Volvo 610 ;

(pic borrowed from Eric Diehl over at escapees)

about the same footprint as a DRW LDT (and probably smaller then your 4x4 CC MDT) ,
but engine power, brakes and axles as well as suspension and comfort to tow a trailer of your size with safety and confidence

check with your state laws ... maybe less complicated and expensive then you think
just my opinion :)

edit;

another pic; this time its Jack Mayer`s old rig:

visit Jacks website for lots of great HDT "RV" info ; http://www.jackdanmayer.com/

btw i personally cant stand Volvos :p ... but that does not change the fact that the 610 IS a excellent "small" Truck for RV use ;)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there nothing between what I have and a full blown semi (which is what I was trying to stay away from.)

I don't think it would be as bad if it wasn't shifting into high gear at 25 mph (roughly no speedo) and I'm sure the md3060 with a double oD would help tremendously.

I've got it for sale priced pretty high 10.5. in its shape but I'll continue to finish it up for some more curb appeal.

I mean when we seen the Penske Racing shocks rig ( a freightliner sport chassis) m2 body…. that would be the cats ass but about $35k + at the cheap side its way out of reach.

The most I can do is just keep my eye open for other rigs, thats why I was wondering what others have

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
Hey guys after searching and not finding the info I'm really after decided to post.

Heres the deal I got my Int'l out today for the first time in awhile, insured today.. still have to send in reg. After putting so much work into it, I feel let down… some things are easy fixes.. exhaust is 4' off the the turbo under the cab. Loud and stinky. The gearing is terrible.. hate it. ON to the subject.

Weight ratings… I've read up enough but I still don't seem to have the best handle on it. Maybe because what I have (2500hd) and my trailer (18k) are so far apart on recommended ratings I'm lost.

I pulled on the scales last time, with 1/4 tank and the fam + the dog at 26,500.

With out exact #s on me I remember the rear axle of truck at 8000 and some change. Front around 5xxx and the trailer (3axles) were around 13k.
I think I read max towing like 13k…

Truck has GVWR of 10,000, Front axle rating of 5200, and rear axle rating of 6200.

How big of a truck do I really need. I was looking at f450 ratings. Seems to be at the minimum of my truck needs.. GRoss combined weight of a 2000 450 with a v10 is 22,000 lbs.. that still isn't enough…. TRUCK Right?
8k on drives and 13k worth of trailer and load?
That is dually weight,what's the problom ?

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
8k on drives and 13k worth of trailer and load?
That is dually weight,what's the problom ?
As far as everything I've looked up at least on the GM side a dually is not sufficient. Maybe the newer dodge with like 30k towing.

I'm not looking to replace my Denali. More like what options would best suit my needs in case of replacing the the Big Truck.

I also mean across the board, axle rating, gvwr, gcwr. Staying within the limits of all. I need at least a gcwr of 28,000 and that would go up with a heavier truck as well.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Any newer diesel dually can easily pull that much if you're not worried about warranty claims or whatever. Still like $50k+ cheaper to get a MDT, though.

·
Registered
786 Posts
see , thats why i posted the Volvo 610 ;)

with a 18klbs trailer your probably entering a very shady legal area in your state
i dont know where you are located but many states require a CDL if your over 26000 lbs gvwr and many are even down to 26k gcvwr ....
sometimes the only way to tow that much trailer is with a rig that is registered as an RV (class 8 truck altered to pass RV requirements like toilette, cooking, sleeping, etc)
stupid as it is but many states dont have a CDL weight threshold for RV`s :shaking:

however, if you race (= commercial in the eye of the DOT) ,
and you tow with an RV (strictly non commercial) you enter another messy grey area

imho i would do my homework and research carefully the do`s and dont`s of your home state and then go from there

btw Escapees HDT hauler resource library is a great start

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We have our trailer plated RVT. rv-trailer. The truck wouldn't be tho, I would just plate it for it and the tongue weight.

As far as racing I've heard this, but almost everyone (which is 100's) who "race" do not have CDL's to pull their rigs that I know of. Although I have one of the.. if not biggest set-ups next to Factory rigs or 45'rv / trailer combos. Which will does draw attention. I have been lucky I guess you would call it that the last year or so we've been running around with this trailer I've never had to pull into a weigh station. If I did I know I would be screwed just based on truck plates on the denali and then if they looked further of course.

The reason I don't really want to go for a full blown semi is to be able to use it more often than just to pull the trailer.

But we want to do some graphics and probably sponsor logos on the trailer/ truck so being legit is the way I want to go for a lot less headache. For the right deal tho I wouldn't turn down a 7-8 HDT. I would just leave it hooked up to the trailer all the time.

·
Registered
786 Posts
... But we want to do some graphics and probably sponsor logos on the trailer/ truck ...
:shaking:

if you have a CDL ; yes ... if you dont ; good luck with that :p

sorry that i sound so negative, but that is just asking for DOT trouble

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree that the MDT is the ticket for us..

Since I can't afford a sport chassis built truck I wish I could find a:

2003+? Freightliner m2 112 in a roughly 170" wheel base cab and chassis

Then a spare cab and do the same thing all over if thats what they do?? Have to check into that

Find a western hauler bed. or build something similar over time .. if money allows.

One can only dream :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:shaking:

if you have a CDL ; yes ... if you dont ; good luck with that :p

sorry that i sound so negative, but that is just asking for DOT trouble
Its fine, I have no problem going legit. I don't make any money racing so I dunno, doubt its worth arguing with a cop over. All I would need is a b/c license right? Which is just a test I think..

Then if I can make a business out of it maybe I could write off all my expenses

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
You need a Class A to pull a trailer over 10k GVWR unless your total combination GVWR is under 26k (which it wouldn't be of course). It's not easy to get, and then you'd need commercial insurance, DOT numbers, etc. etc. It might be different if you stay within your own state.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Not sure about other states, but in Wa, as long as your not hauling for profit (ie.. Private use only) you do not have to have a DOT number. You don't even have to have Not For Hire or anything else on the side of the rig. You also don't have to keep a log book. Now, if you are pulling a trailer rated over 10k, you technically have to have a CDL. Your also governed to truck speed limits in ANY combination, no more than 60 mph even if it's a golf cart trailer behind a damn honda accord.

Insurance wise, you will automatically be considered commercial, but that is just a title. I insure my W900 and double drop (lowboy) for 40 bucks a month and the tabs are $30 a year for the trailer and 216 a year for the truck.

If I want to haul heavy, I run a trip permit that's good for 3 days up to 80,000 lbs.

Like Rooster has been saying, a class 7-8 truck is a great option depending on the state you live in. I personally can't see spending 50k+ for a LDT that can't even dream of hanging with a truck that cost less than a 3rd the money and laughs at 30-40k loads. Hell, with the correct choice in power train, you'll get close too or the same mileage as a dually pulling it's guts out!

Just my .02, but I realize I'm nobody

·
Registered
786 Posts
... I personally can't see spending 50k+ for a LDT that can't even dream of hanging with a truck that cost less than a 3rd the money and laughs at 30-40k loads. Hell, with the correct choice in power train, you'll get close too or the same mileage as a dually pulling it's guts out!

Just my .02, but I realize I'm nobody
exactly ;)

for example take a look at this set of 3 2006 VNL610;

http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=5324449

ISX 14 liter cummins , OD 10 speed , the sleek 610 sleeper (roof fairing can be removed), Jakebrake ! , only ~650k miles .... all for $30k (probably $27k with some haggling :p)

the smallish and low 610 sleeper makes the truck less intimidating ... and with the short WB it probably out-turns the Denali
and on top of that it drives/rides probably better then most DRW LDT`s as well

the 2003 - 2006 (or was it 07 ?!?) engine generation was struggling with emission crap that got forced onto them ....
but for RV use you can probably deal with it a lot better then the fully loaded commercial truckers
(among other things excessive underhood heat was a big problem)

drop one rear axle and replace the commercial 5th wheel with an RV style hitch
keep the truck AND trailer plain white and may add a couple more RV windows
this way you probably fly under the radar ... especially if your not really racing in a series that hands out prize money ;)

make a couple removable banners for your "Sponsors" that you can add at the track but take down for interstate travel

edit;
here is another set of 4 nice ones; http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=4837537

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
exactly ;)

for example take a look at this set of 3 2006 VNL610;

We've done the HDT & drop deck trailer before. I really appreciate the advice. We also ran with Private carrier and Not for Hire down the side of the Freightliner and we had that trailer plated RV-trailer (RVT) as well.

Same thing with that set-up we never had to pull into a scale. Local city cop came snooping around 2-3am while I was under it trying to fix trailer lights but thats about it.

Mileage I dunno that may be arguable. Best I've got so far was 11 with the denali, now that isn't to say towing with a bigger truck wouldn't be all around "better" and I don't hesitate to agree…. thats why I bought the MDT.

But heres the deal with ole InT'l, I paid $1500 for the cab/chassis. I am/was on a budget. If I'm going to spend 25k which I don't have/ can't spend I would wait around for a deal on a sport chassis.

That being said, again if I found a good deal on a HDT sure I would pick it up but it seems to be more truck than I really need. Although it may be better suited right out of the package with gearing and such.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
The first thing that came to mind for a versatile MDT are the 80s/90s International crewcabs.... S1600/4700 etc. DT466 power. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts