Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, I'm working both sides now. (Jeep and Toyota) Picked up an 87 runner the other day and it seems to have this unusual electrical problem... It has the digital dash (guages/speedo/etc) In the daytime it's all fine but at night when the headlights are on, the a/c running and you step on the brakes or turn on anything else electrical, the dash lights blink and/or go out completely. Let go of the brake or turn off whatever and they will blink and come back on. Nothing else happens. It runs great and everything works still, just the dash lights blink off and back on when using several electrical components. If the radio is playing, it goes off too, like when you hit the brake or turn on a turn signal. Let off and the radio and dash lights come back on, no problem... :confused:

I thought maybe it was due to a weak battery so I bought a new, bigger, more powerful battery and it still happens. I checked the battery and it's fully charged. Could it be a weak alternator??? Any ideas??

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you haven't already, double check all of the grounds and also look under the dash around the pedals and make sure you don't have any exposed wires that are shorting when the brake pedal is pressed.

Good luck

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
seen a similar problem once, someone had replaced one of the dual filament rear lamps with a single filament. and the electrical was back feeding.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmmm... It's not related to the brake pedal in particular. I can be running with high beams on, flip on the a/c, turn signal, brake or electric window and the dash lights will blinky and usually go completely out. Turn off whatever I just turned on or stop using it and they will blinky and come back on like nothing ever happened. It sure seems like a bad ground to me. Maybe a lousy connection is not letting full current through and it doesn't take much of an additional load to cause the dash lights to blink or go out. Only happens at night or when running headlights, a/c, radio or some combination of electrical stuff that takes a lot of voltage. I'm still gonna have that damn alternator tested... I'm gonna check those lights too, just to make sure the right ones are in there...

Any other ideas?? :D:D

·
Premium Member
4,400 Posts
Check the main cab ground point, driver's side kick panel, 10mm head bolt that screws into the sheet metal w/ a buch of ground wires hooked to it. Headlights are grounded at the combo switch to turn them on, ground current flows from the steering wheel down to ground at the main cab ground point.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check the main cab ground point, driver's side kick panel, 10mm head bolt that screws into the sheet metal w/ a buch of ground wires hooked to it. Headlights are grounded at the combo switch to turn them on, ground current flows from the steering wheel down to ground at the main cab ground point.

Thanks :beer: I will look for that. I wuz just thinking, this vehicle spent some time down in San Luis Obispo and there is minor surface rust underneath. Could be a slightly rusty ground somewhere. :rasta:

Gotta spend the day tomorrow signing peeple in at the protest rally in Placerville so it'll have to wait till Monday... Any more ideas, let's hear em... :D:D

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've been on google all night.......I've found a few threads about this and no one has posted a conclusion. I'm experiencing the same situation appears to be power related? Heater on high wipers on if you click the heater down a few speeds gauges pop back on? Anyhow I've messed with the dimmer switch, the grounds, checked bulbs, brake pedal anyone actually fix this problem?!? Sorry for bringing this up from the dead hoping here on pirate I can get some answers it's driving me nuts!:mad3:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts