Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am setting up a sterling 10.25 out of a 88 f250 and putting it in my 87 bronco since the 8.8 in the is destroyed. I am putting 3.73 Yukon gears in it and keeping the stock carrier. I have also got a long pinion yoke. I am wondering why my gear pattern is weird.

As you can see the markings are very small and very inward. From what I can tell I need to decrease the pinion height by changing to a smaller shim. Problem is that’s the factory shim and in my Yukon master install kit it doesn’t come with anything smaller then 25 thou. Which the Yukon installation book says is the factory shim for a 10.25. And the only other shim on the pinion is the factory outer pinion shim.

My backlash is also within spec. Maybe it could be not enough carrier bearing preload. Though I would think it’s enough. But I’m not expert by any means as this is my first time doing this myself.
Sound it makes
I appreciate any of the feedback I get
Thanks

·
blatant asshole
11,856 Posts
Pull the pinion shim and reset the carrier and backlash and paint again.

Did you check under the inner pinion race for shims?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pull the pinion shim and reset the carrier and backlash and paint again.

Did you check under the inner pinion race for shims?
By reset carrier and backlash do you mean take the shims out and start from scratch in case of a mistake? And there were no shims under the inner pinion race. The kit came with a bunch but I had a really hard time getting the race in and I already made a inner pinion setup bearing.

·
blatant asshole
11,856 Posts
Not start from scratch. But when you pull the pinion shim its going to open the backlash up. Youll need to get than back down to spec

·
blatant asshole
11,856 Posts
If your to deep you got to lose something.

Did you whack the pinion after you tighend the bearings? I always do to make sure the races are fully seated

·
blatant asshole
11,856 Posts
Thats what i do. Load the pinion up a bit tight and put a slug on the pinion head and whack it and see if it loosens it up at all. Same on the nut end.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Turns out I didn’t have the inner pinion race put pressed in all the way. I could stick a pick a good amount through till it got to thick. I have pinion back in and just have to set up backlash and then check gear pattern. Also if I am using a crush sleeve eliminator should I set up pinion depth first.

·
Registered
1989 Jeep Cherokee
2,061 Posts
Measure the old crush sleeve to get an idea of what shin amount you’ll want to add to your eliminator. They should end up the same thickness and it should be installed the same time a crush sleeve would be installed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What makes the gears make noise when you spin them. Is it when there is to much backlash or improper pinion depth. It seems that when I have to little backlash the gears sound like they mesh together very nice when moving but when I have it dialed in it makes noise.

·
blatant asshole
11,856 Posts
Paint them

How tight did you make the pinion while you were setting them up?
How tight is it now?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It is around 30 in/lbs I think. Spec is 20-36 in/lbs. and by now do you mean with carrier.

·
blatant asshole
11,856 Posts
No i meant how tight was the pinion during setup vrs now that presumably changed something from before when they didnt sound bad.

What did your final/last paint pattern look like?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am still setting it up trying to get the backlash dialed in. The last gear pattern was the one in my previous posts when race was not driven down all the way.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I set up backlash and got it at 9 thou. I tightened caps down and then did gear pattern. I have a very strong coast side , but a practically non existent drive side it seems. It also gets sorta hung up or binded in a section on the ring gear. But in the problem area I had 9 thou as well as where I did gear pattern. In another part I had 11 though. Should I attempt to tighten up the backlash or do you think something is up with the ring and pinion. Or is it pinion depth?

·
Registered
1989 Jeep Cherokee
2,061 Posts
Yukon instructions say to set your pinion depth first, bearing preload second, backlash third.
https://www.yukongear.com/downloads/manuals/yukon_general_installation_instructions.pdf Page 14 is the wear patterns.

You need to focus on your pinion depth before doing backlash. MY unprofessional, and inexperienced eyes, say your pinion is too close to the ring gear on the Coast side of things. It looks like the top set of photos in the Yukon manual I linked under Number 7 on page 15. I'm basing this off the bottom two teeth in your second photo posted just above this. The ones that are kind of out of focus.

Matter of fact....looking at the second photo above, top two teeth with ONLY yellow paint on them REALLY look like the pinion is too deep to me.

Follow their setup instructions, wipe the paint off the gear if you can, and maybe change pinion depth by 20 or 25 thousandths (random number I came up with based on your posts above) from where it is right now to see what the pattern does when you pull the pinion out more.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts