Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yukon instructions say to set your pinion depth first, bearing preload second, backlash third.
https://www.yukongear.com/downloads/manuals/yukon_general_installation_instructions.pdf Page 14 is the wear patterns.

You need to focus on your pinion depth before doing backlash. MY unprofessional, and inexperienced eyes, say your pinion is too close to the ring gear on the Coast side of things. It looks like the top set of photos in the Yukon manual I linked under Number 7 on page 15. I'm basing this off the bottom two teeth in your second photo posted just above this. The ones that are kind of out of focus.

Matter of fact....looking at the second photo above, top two teeth with ONLY yellow paint on them REALLY look like the pinion is too deep to me.

Follow their setup instructions, wipe the paint off the gear if you can, and maybe change pinion depth by 20 or 25 thousandths (random number I came up with based on your posts above) from where it is right now to see what the pattern does when you pull the pinion out more.
Yeah I’ve decided I am going to put it closer to the ring gear by taking the factory shim out and just going with a bigger shims. Also don’t you have to set backlash in order to get the correct gear pattern.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So I think I got the gear pattern dialed in to acceptable. I ended up misunderstanding how big the factory pinion shim was and after I put smaller ones in and did some changing I got these patterns with 10 thou backlash. It also sounds nice and smooth. I am going to try another depth just to see if it improves but thought I’d put this out there.

·
Registered
1989 Jeep Cherokee
2,045 Posts
If you put smaller shims between the bearing and the pinion gear it was too deep, right?
How thick was the original and how much did you put in? Every time I see gear setups I see why people say to use setup bearings that just slip on/off. Lots of time and work saved vs pressing them on and off.
When you install a locker are you going to check all this again, or just install the locker with the same shim setup?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The stock pinion shim is .205”. And what I am putting on may be a little more. If I do ever install a new carrier it will be a true trac just because I like lsd and don’t do that much off-roasting. Though it is about the same price for a factory e-locker from a super duty that would fit my axle. But if I do install a new carrier then yes I’ll check it just to be safe.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The stock pinion shim is .205”. And what I am putting on may be a little more. If I do ever install a new carrier it will be a true trac just because I like lsd and don’t do that much off-roasting. Though it is about the same price for a factory e-locker from a super duty that would fit my axle. But if I do install a new carrier then yes I’ll check it just to be safe.
If you lived in Northeast Ohio, my buddy is scrapping a 1989 F250. The body rusted off and he just wants the motor. Good trans, transfer case and axle. It's 4x4 with overload springs. Might be a F350. I just looked at it a half hour ago.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts