Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some more heads to help trouble shoot why my back tcase wont shift out of 4wd

I dropped my tcases and installed a chromoly output and FROR disco. Eveything went together fine and the tcases were shifting perfectly on the floor. Put them back into the buggy, topped up with oil and installed the shifters. Front case shifts mint, 4hi and low shift fine in the back but the tcase is stuck in 4wd. I have a twin stick shifter so it pretty easy to make sure the shift rails are in centre before installation of the shifter. I can make the 2wd/4wd shifter move maybe 3/8s of an inch in the case but thats it. It just stops dead

:confused:

·
Registered
299 Posts
Need some more heads to help trouble shoot why my back tcase wont shift out of 4wd

I dropped my tcases and installed a chromoly output and FROR disco. Eveything went together fine and the tcases were shifting perfectly on the floor. Put them back into the buggy, topped up with oil and installed the shifters. Front case shifts mint, 4hi and low shift fine in the back but the tcase is stuck in 4wd. I have a twin stick shifter so it pretty easy to make sure the shift rails are in centre before installation of the shifter. I can make the 2wd/4wd shifter move maybe 3/8s of an inch in the case but thats it. It just stops dead

:confused:

it sounds like the shifter is not centered ????? i have had the same problem with mine but i didnt have the twin stick ????? i just took a screw driver and got it back to center

·
Registered
7,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
the interlock spring is out. The twinstick was in before I switched to the chromo shaft and everything has worked fine for the last year or so.

So I took the tcases back out and my buddy who is a toyota tech came over to help figure it out. With the output flange tight it wont shift but loosen it off a very small bit it shifts fine. We took off the rear disco and put back on the stock flange and had the same problem, tight no worky a little looser works fine. So we took apart the case and he inspected all my work and everything is in properly. We are thinking maybe the output shaft is not machined perfectly and when tight it pulls everything slightly out. It seems unlikely but we cant think of anything else, Im going to call Bobby in the morning and see what he thinks

·
Registered
7,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pretty sure everything was in correct and we double checked it last night. This is a complete doubler setup that was in the truck and working 100% perfect. The only thing that was changed was the output and the addition of the rear disco. The problem is the same with the stock rear flange so that rules out the disco. Bobby is going to send me another output so i'll swap that in and see if it helps. its just very weird because if you back off the nut on the rear flange just a little bit it shifts fine.

The truck probably knows im trying to get ready to leave for Moab next week so its making me earn it :homer:

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
Can you pull the output and set it along side the old one with a caliper/micrometer? It SURE sounds like you have a bad output.. At least with logical reasoning it sounds like the output...

·
Registered
7,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can you pull the output and set it along side the old one with a caliper/micrometer? It SURE sounds like you have a bad output.. At least with logical reasoning it sounds like the output...
I dont have one :homer: or else I would but I can probably grab one from work today.

Sounds like Bobby will have my new one sitting in Blaine for me to pick up tomorrow. He has to have the best customer service around :smokin:

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
I dont have one :homer: or else I would but I can probably grab one from work today.

Sounds like Bobby will have my new one sitting in Blaine for me to pick up tomorrow. He has to have the best customer service around :smokin:

Yes--bobby is DA man ;)

Heck--at least yor upgrading now--unlike pook when his rig had to sit on sledgehammer overnight :laughing:due to an output :nuke:

·
Registered
7,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yes--bobby is DA man ;)

Heck--at least yor upgrading now--unlike pook when his rig had to sit on sledgehammer overnight :laughing:due to an output :nuke:
That story is one of the reasons I made the switch from the treated output. That and I have 42" stickies now :D

I also just put in Sarge's old D60 in the front! Full hydro is going to be sweet

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
That story is one of the reasons I made the switch from the treated output. That and I have 42" stickies now :D

I also just put in Sarge's old D60 in the front! Full hydro is going to be sweet
So thats where that front ended up :D Speaking of which--I need to call sarge

·
Registered
7,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So thats where that front ended up :D Speaking of which--I need to call sarge
It originally went to Mark M and he moved it on to me. It took 8 hrs to cut off his truss, hydro mount, etc.. so I could put leaf mounts back on :eek: Such a shame since it was nicely done

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
It originally went to Mark M and he moved it on to me. It took 8 hrs to cut off his truss, hydro mount, etc.. so I could put leaf mounts back on :eek: Such a shame since it was nicely done
The output shaft went out yesterday, you should have it today hopfuly this one will be ok. I was talking to Marlin about this he said some times if you don't use all the gaskets it will make everything that much tighter.

·
Registered
7,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The output shaft went out yesterday, you should have it today hopfuly this one will be ok. I was talking to Marlin about this he said some times if you don't use all the gaskets it will make everything that much tighter.
Thanks Bobby! Ill swap it in as soon as I get it and report back to you with the results.

·
Registered
7,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks Bobby! Ill swap it in as soon as I get it and report back to you with the results.
I switched it in tonight and everything went back together perfectly. I will try to get the old one shipped for testing before I leave for Moab on Thursday.

FWIW i used ultra grey to put it together both times.

Thanks Bobby!

·
Hella Wheeler
301 Posts
same thing happened with mine. whats happens is the front output hub tightens down against the front output gear, so that it wont spin free. so i took material off the thrust washer until the front output gear spun freely with everything tighten down. that way the front output hub tightens down on the output shaft like its suppossed to.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts