Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 2645 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Been a member for a couple months and mostly read and search. Just finished the SAS on my 88 runner. Some buddies and I went up to Swamp lake this last week and walked right past two broken Jeeps... it was great! I can't believe how well it performs. I was planning on doing a build thread but there are so many already. Here's what it has:

5.29s front and rear
Aussie's front and rear
TG 4" front kit (hanger moved forward .75")
TG 5" rear kit w/ Sky's shock hanger
PS brace
Rotor vents cut off except for brake bracket
Square front shaft (temporary)
35" MTR
Marlin 4.70 transfer
Large front diff. armor

When I did the swap I rebuilt or replaced everything. When I bought it, the transmission had recently been rebuilt by Marlin, and it had a blown head gasket. Ended up rebuilding whole motor and it runs great. I'd list my future plans but that would be a long list.

Thanks for putting such a comprehensive source together!

·
Registered
2 Posts

I am replying to the requirement as a Nebie to the post. I am a toyota pickup(94) and FJ40 owner. Both vehicles rock!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey I'm new to Pirate but not to hardcore wheeling. I'm currently building an 85 4Runner plans are, 36"SX's, 5.29's, dual cases, detroits frt & rr, 30 spline longs up front, bob the rear & an exo cage.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Well Ive been around a while now and I know to keep my mouh shut and learn by reading, but I'd still consider myself a newb. Ive been wheeling with friends but I just bought my first truck yesterday. Its an 82 on 36s with a 5 speed swapped in. It has way too much body lift but that will be coming out. My plans are a trip to hollister this weekend for a maiden voyage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just checking in. I have an 85 4runner with a 3" Skyjacker lift, 33s, 4.56 gears, v6 in rear, spool in back lockright in front, sliders, all-pro rear bumper and so on. Not new to trucks, but new to this style of wheelin(mustly mud before).

·
Registered
118 Posts
what up? just got my 2nd yota, now its time to start the mods, about the only thing I have now is a good body, frame, drive train etc. but not all on the same truck, need to do some swaps from one to the other, but I do have a set of 33 inch trxus m/t that I fell in love with on my other truck. Hopefully I will be getting bigger tires soon along with sas and all that stuff that goes along with it.:mad3: :flipoff2:

·
Registered
721 Posts
Well i'm kind of a newb I guess. I have a 92 toy 4runner, D60's front and rear welded, 5.38 gears, F150's rear 3 inch downey rears up front and lots of tube rollin on 40 in pitbull rockers. Still under construction BTW. Here's a pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
Here i am a newbie just started to work on my truck, its my dream truck even though it aint much. Cant drive it yet i start drivers training in october, till then my extra cash goes into it, so far i have put a 3" lift kit in it and 35's on it, most people look at me and say ya right but ya i paid for it, and yes i do now how to maintain a vehical, for my age i am very mechanicaly encliend.
Here it is its a 81 toyota p/u
http://img190.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bradtoyotaafter002is0.jpg

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hey guys, brand new to Pirate 4X4. I have found so much useful info here that I had to sign up. I just sold an S-10 krawler of mine now I am building up a '84 SR5 Reg Cab Short bed. I love this truck so much and its so easy to modify and work on. I live in southern Utah if anybody needs a wheelin buddy let me know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
preparing to plunge into the underworld of off-roading and empty wallets

Hey all, I'm the ever so proud owner of an '01 Taco, (V6, TRD, Xtra Cab, 5 speed) that is thus far un-modified except for the grey wire mod, the full time power outlets, and a serious after market noise maker. I'm not looking to go crazy with the mods as this has to be usable as a daily driver and I do not want to cut, trim, pound, or remove pieces of my body. I'm pretty resigned to the 2.5" barrier when it comes to lifts and am ok with that. I believe the clearance and tire sizes it will allow me to use will meet the goals I have for the truck on and off road. I'm leaning strongly toward the SAWs or DR coilover with the Deaver 8 leaf's in the rear. Not sure on the rear shocks, but have heard great things about bilsteins. I do plan on replacing the bumpers, front and rear and adding some rocksliders and some under-body protection. Sometime in the future....when I buy a new daily driver, I will probably go crazy with it. In the meantime.....any suggestions, advice, and recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

I'm in PHX, AZ by the way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
1998 Taco Regcab 4x4

Hello from LA. Lurker for some time, originally owned an 01 Dodge ram 4x4 and went by Biggin4By. Sadly that gashog got repo'd from lack of work and going between jobs. Got myself a nice deal on a 98 taco with 238K on her, but she runs VERY good, don't know of a rebuild, but I'm pretty sure the tranny and cluth have been rebuilt/replaced. Motor is stock, stock susp for now, but planning on 2.5" spacers/shackles and 3" body sittin on 33x12.5x15 TSL radials driven by 4.88 gears and a truetrac. Pretty sure I want a rough country lift, but there are so many out there!

So far lovin my taco, but still miss the ram, but not for her mileage (8mpg versus 21, big difference).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Checkin In

Whats up. Just checkin in as a newb to the forum. I've been a full-size wheeler for years and am plannin to start my next project on a yota, so what better place than Pirate, right?

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I'm resurecting my '83 truck, all I was able to save from the rust plague was the drivetrain. It's going into an '88 4runner frame topped with a Zuk body that I'll be S T R E T C H I N G. POR is one of the most informative sites around so I figured the least I could do was pony up for the red star. TC

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
I have lurked the Pirate boards for a couple of years. I am an active member of TTORA. I have an '02 Tacoma with 6" lift, 33" MTRs, 4.88 yukon gears, front aussie locker and the list goes on. Hope to learn a lot.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Newb

Just got an 84 X-tra cab. Looking to put a header on it along w/ whole new exhaust minus cat. Anybody got any info on a good header/exhaust system. I been checking out downey. I will use this rig for sand and mud not rock crawling.

·
Registered
306 Posts
hey guys...i guess im sorta new to this site...ive been a member for a while...but from what ive seen i better follow the rules...haha...so ive been reading the FAQs and let me tell you...NICE...theres is about everything you need to ever know about yotas in there....im on my 5th one...and am lookin for one to build up...im guessin this site is gunna help me alot when i run into a snag....so thanks in advance...and yea...ive read more than 10 faqs....haha... lata...:D

·
Registered
15 Posts
rigs:

I just joined the pbb, so yes new here but have been wheeling for the past decade or so. mostly toyota, but with a breif flirtation with an army jeep.
My rigs as of right now are a 95 4runner daily driver,v6 auto which has a k&n
fipk which was there when i bought it, a 7mge vafm which actually works, and is now sporting a 2speed taurus cooling fan due to a failed mechanical fan
will shortly be swaping in a 84 or 85 straight axle along with extras in leiu of rebuilding every single moving part in the ifs. did i mention it has 200,000 miles on the clock?

and in this corner we have my wheeler: 84 4runner or whats left of one
it books out as such:
chevy d44 front narrowed to 60 1/2" track width, high steer
rancho rs44044 front springs
hand made front shackles
skyjacker 12" shocks in handmade mounts
ifs steering modified for hydro assist, sweets cylinder
swap to 350/th350, not to be recomended for clearance reasons, and there are much better suited engines and transmissions available for a resonable price, for example lexus 1uz
a griffin alum radiator with cooling fan in front, again bad idea imo
dual transfer cases hooked to the th350. dissatisfied with this also
cv drivelines front and rear
rear isuzu d44 disk brake from a rodeo
chev 52" springs in back
can back soft top
more twisted sheet metal than you can shake a stick at
currently out of commision due to rollover and modification gone arwry
will rebuild and try again, the new cab is in my garage right now.
thats right its gonna morph into a pickup this go round

also I'm located in everett washington, have 1 house 1 wife 2 kids and 1 dog

21 - 40 of 2645 Posts