Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Newbs, reply to this post and tell us about you and your Tacoma / Late model Runner (95 up).

First and foremost, DO NOT POST "FOR SALE", OR "WANTED", OR "WHAT'S IT WORTH" IN THIS FORUM!!! Use the Classifieds. We will punish anyone who posts "Classifieds" and/or "What's it Worth" in true Pirate fashion with a very public flogging and an occasional celebratory walking of the plank :evil:

If your new to this forum you will fall into 2 categories:

1. Newb to Pirate4x4.com Bulletin Board (PBB), Newb to Hardcore wheeling and heavily modified vehicles
  2. Newb to PBB, but not a Newb to Hardcore Wheeling

If your a #1, please start posting your questions an comments in Newbie General 4x4 Discussion .
Read the Tacoma FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)- *MUST READ* Official Tacoma FAQ
If you post Questions here that are covered in the FAQ, you will be walking the plank in true Pirate4x4 style.

If your a # 2, Read the Tacoma FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)- *MUST READ* Official Tacoma FAQ at least 10 times
If you post Questions here that are covered in the FAQ, you will be walking the plank in true Pirate4x4 style.

Last but not least, I created a PDF out of the current FAQ. It's sweet, pics and everything, but it's large, 10mb.

I could just post it, but that would be to "Nice",,,so,,,,, if you want a copy, you have to make a donation to the Rubicon Trail Foundation, min $10. And I'll give you the secret download location for it.

Now, I am going to do this on the honor system, because I trust you guys won't violate the privilege, and because it's for a good cause.

All I need to see is proof of a donation via Paypal, so, PM me a text copy and paste of the transaction, and I'll PM you the download location.

Click this button to donate: Make sure you say it came from the PBB Tacoma Forum !

Note that it goes to the treasurer for the Rubicon Trail Foundation.

And please go to this thread:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=517068
and bump it when you donate!!

If you have trouble, PM me.

·
raise helldrink beer
1,687 Posts
another check in

I started off my Toyota ownership with a 02 TRD about 3 years ago. Just recently got a 01 4runner. The Taco has 1"ish top spaced lift up front and shackled lift out back that was on it when I got it. I've added some leafs to the back for more flex and to fix the saggy leafs. I'm happy with it. Grey wire mod complete. Headache rack with extra backup lights. Front off road lights to fill holes that were there when I got it. I like em now though. I did the rear vent hose move to the gas cap after ruining pinion bearings thanks to rear tractor tires and mud. Um, I think that's most of it for now. Haven't had the sway bar on in a while. Anyway that's most of it. The 4runner is stock. Both have k&n cold air intakes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought my 05 Tacoma aclb 4x4 last summer. I've owned a few large trucks and a diesel and this truck is by far my favorite.

Its pretty much stock except for toyota rims, steps, and brush guard with K/C lights. I've taken it wheeling a few times at Haspin acres in IN and Bundy Hill in MI. Does great and I'm not shy about wheeling it.

$ is tight due to buying a house so the lift and tires and armor are on the back burner.

Also have a trx450r honda that i most generally ride when I wheel. Its a blast.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone, I'm from Mooresville NC. I have a 99 Tacoma 2wd that started its life as a bagged lowrider showtruck, that I had since 99. I wrecked the the truck back in 2002 the cab suffered some roll over damage and the back half and bed was crushed. Now I love wheeling and figured since it only has 50,000 miles on it I'm gonna rebuild it into 4wd truggy. I cant wait to get some good information and be part of this site.

·
Registered
15 Posts
New guy

I just got an account with pirate 4x4 the other day. Im from Lancaster, PA and I have a 96 taco with the Fabtech 6 inch suspension kit, dick cepek mud country 35x12.50x15 tires, 2.7L motor with short tube header, throttle body spacer, IFS (wish it was straight axle)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi I'm new to Pirate4x4.

I have a 1996 Tacoma 4x4 extra cab 3.4 V6 in stock condition. I bought it new in 1996.

My plans include using Unimog portal axles and a marlin crawler tcase. Despite these mods I wish to try and keep it drivable to and from work and out to the off road adventures.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
354 Posts
new to the toy thing been a jeep guy (xj for haulin the kids around) but i wanted a frame so i can throw some one tons at it with out plating the frame and doing a bunch of work to a unibody. So a buddy of mine has had it with his 97 4runner and asked me to haul it to the scrap yard i said sure, bad part is it never made it there. The motor sounds like a lawn tractor and the ifs is just junk so the plans is as stated above i have a 60 front and rear out of a 79 ford i will more than likely step up to a 14 bolt for the rear. and i am dreaming about a 5.3/5.7 under the hood. So just lookin around and as all way pirate has been a great place to go for info.

thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
new to the toy thing been a jeep guy (xj for haulin the kids around) but i wanted a frame so i can throw some one tons at it with out plating the frame and doing a bunch of work to a unibody. So a buddy of mine has had it with his 97 4runner and asked me to haul it to the scrap yard i said sure, bad part is it never made it there. The motor sounds like a lawn tractor and the ifs is just junk so the plans is as stated above i have a 60 front and rear out of a 79 ford i will more than likely step up to a 14 bolt for the rear. and i am dreaming about a 5.3/5.7 under the hood. So just lookin around and as all way pirate has been a great place to go for info.

thanks
2006 Toyota Tacoma added new rims, tonneau cover and Nerf bars. Oh and camo seat covers. They look nice when we pull up at the Sportsman Shows. Make Custom Hand Made if you will Turkey and Duck Calls. Won the NWTF National Callmakers Competition Hunting Call Division Friction Call and Duck 2009, and 2010. Also won best of show in 2010 with the friction turkey call.
Keith

·
Registered
15 Posts
Check In #2

Been a member since 2007. 20 plus years in the industry repair and fabrication. Finally have some time to work on my own stuff (maybe!). have owned a few Toyota's - 85 SR5 4x4 minor mods long gone. 90 4 runner sold regrettably. Currently have a 2006 Tacoma SR5 bought new paid off and now out of warranty. First project is to install Dana 60's out of a donor 79 F350. First I am looking into vendors that can supply disc brakes that will allow me to keep the ABS functional.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Long time lurker. Got an 03 taco xtra turd. Nothing fancy as of yet: OME lift, home brewed rear leafs, 33's, Air freshener, stickers, spray painted things. I've been trying to stockpile parts for a while. Got some junk yard axles that I doubt I'll use now that I change my mind every time I log on to this damn site. The plan as of late is to go with full width tons linked on 37's. I want to keep it low (comparatively) as apposed to a leaf sprung SAS. Next big expense is going to be a DD since I'm driving 80 miles per day with this pig. Then I can start cutting.

Ok carry on....

·
Registered
106 Posts
Looks like I never posted in this thread when I first signed into Pirate 4x4 a few years ago, so here I am in my D-cab wheeling Table Mesa at AZRocks out here in AZ...

I've still got the Taco but also wheel my '85 runner (when its not on jackstand alley).

·
Registered
2 Posts
hello, brand new member here! I have an 08 taco trd 4 door long box I bought new when I came home from deployment in south asia. i am an avid DIYer and have done almost all of the work myself, the truck is mostly a toy and a boat hauler anymore since it sucks gas!

08 Tacoma TRD sport 4.0LV6, 6"fabtech lift, Icon reservoir coilovers, allpro rear leafs, Arb bumper, smitty-winch, onboard air, TRD supercharger, K&N CAI, unichip, spare-parts exhaust sitting on 35s and motometal chromes

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3006992/2008-toyota-tacoma-xtra-cab

Future plans include lockers, a marlin crawler, warn winch, TRD CAI with an ARB snorkel and more HP :)

I am looking forward to meeting new people and connecting with locals that love to wheel in the northern California area :)

1 - 20 of 109 Posts