Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HERE IN THE NEAR FUTURE I PLAN ON DOING GEARS AND LOCKING UP MY 85 RUNNER. I HAVE GIVING IT ALOT OF THOUGHT AND THIS IS WHAT I AM GOING TO DO: FIRTS PUT THE WIDER REAR AXLE THAT I HAVE IN THE REAR AND BUT FROM SKY'S THE FRONT WHEEL SPACERS. I AM RUNNING 35 BFG MUDS SO I AM GOING TO GO W/ 5.29'S. I AM THINKING OF PUTING A LOCKRIGHT UP FRONT AND WELDING THE REAR BUT STILL HAVEN'T CONVINCED MYSELF ON THAT DECISION.
SO SHOULD I WELD IT OR SPEND THE MONEY AND PURCHASE A LOCKRIGHT FOR THE REAR ALSO? WHAT DO YOU LOCKED PEOPLE THINK?

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
Didnt look around much before you posted did ya :rolleyes:

a. should be in newbie section
b. has been discussed many many many times and only you know the right answer after you read said information.
c. opinions are like..........well see answer b.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I would say it depends on how you use your rig and how much money you have to spend.

Weld it if you want a quick and easy solution, and don't really drive on the street too much.

Put in a locker (lockrite or aussie) in the rear if you do both a lot of street driving/offroading, and can afford it.

My .02

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
The possibilities are endless and the suggestions will be also from e-locker to cable locker to detroit front and rear to spool to weld

There is no right answer. Pick what you can afford see if you like it change or leave accordingly.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RIGHT NOW THIS IS MY DAILY DRIVER BUT WILL SOON BECOME TRAIL RIG ONLY

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
BOYW/TOY said:
RIGHT NOW THIS IS MY DAILY DRIVER BUT WILL SOON BECOME TRAIL RIG ONLY
Don't weld your daily driver!!! Unless you like to hop around the corners:rolleyes: and you like to hear your tires sound like you just ran over a large dog!!!

I have a Lincoln Locker (welded) in the rear of my trail rig and it works fine for now. It was on my rig when I bought it and it is on my list of things to change out for a real locker. I have been holding out due to the fact that it does work and I have been spending my money on other stuff like a red star:D

Do a search and you will find all sorts of cool ideas and info on FAQ's

·
Registered
147 Posts
Weld up the rear and throw the lockright in the front, with the money you save put it towards highsteer. Keep the stock gears and go dual transfercases. at least thats what i did....

·
Registered
201 Posts
Damn, TrailToys, that's what I was going to say. Only weld the front if every trail you run is straight. Steering with spools=:rainbow:

4.10s should be great on a trail only rig. Much easier to carry spares, too.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I have front and rear welded and it's not bad where i wheel, with that said it's not real good either but was cheap enough and does good for the money. I am going to put a aussie locker up front. so I can put it in 2 wheel low and trun easy. until i need the front to pull.

So if you have the money locker of your choice in the front and weld the rear. Mine doesnt bark the tires going arounD corners nor is it half as bad as what i hear people say. Maybe because i have 112 wb and skinny tires? :)

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Maybe because i have 112 wb and skinny tires?
I am running shorter wheel base and 36" SXs and mine doesnt bark around corners either. It chirps a tiny bit in a tight corner in a parking lot but barely noticeable. MUCH better than a regular locker IMHO. I hated the noise and jerks from the regular locker especially in the snow/rain. The welded rear just plain works. Tire wear is no worse either.

·
I brought the beer
11,347 Posts
suv said:
Only weld the front if every trail you run is straight. Steering with spools=:rainbow:

I am sure am glad they came through and straightened out all the trails at the hammers, and Fordyce, and the Con:rolleyes: I never would have made it, if they didn't:flipoff2:

Eat some wheaties newb and learn how to feather the clutch so you can turn without moving ;)

That being said, I'd love to have an ARB HP in the front:D

d

1 - 20 of 28 Posts