Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen opinions on a welded diff in short wheel based vehicles, but what about a crew cab long bed f350 that is my daily driver? I'm just trying to gain some extra traction.

Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
get an lsd or selectable locker in there if anything.

welding it up for a DD isn't exactly the best thing you could come up with...

·
Registered
349 Posts
its going to make turning alot harder since its going to have to fight to push one of the tires free of its traction before it can turn, yes a rear welded differential

·
Registered
19 Posts
Goodbye steering for a rear welded diff?
I Read it too fast, I thought blt93932 was asking about welding the front diff for some strange reason. :shaking:

But welding a rear diff will beat the crap out of your front tires and components as well because the truck will always try to force forward instead of turn.

Trail Rig = Spool yaya

DD = Spool pain in the arse

Peace

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've seen opinions on a welded diff in short wheel based vehicles, but what about a crew cab long bed f350 that is my daily driver? I'm just trying to gain some extra traction.

Thanks!
Extra traction for a street driven daily driver by welding yur diff solid??Why in the fawk would you even think of welding yur rearend into a spool for a daily driver?:shaking: The shit these kids come up with....:shaking:

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I have a 1987 Chevy crew cab with a welded 14 bolt that sees a lot of street time. I also have a 4runner that I usually zing around in so it isn't a true daily driver. In a truck that long I don't think the welded rear is that big of a deal. Yes it wears tire a lot quicker, but for me its a bad ass firewood cutting/dump running/just getting shit done beater.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,961 Posts
aside from tire wear, you will never, ever notice its there... even still, I'd put a lockright in it..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would do a lock rite too...except they don't make one for the sterling 10.5

How big is the difference with tire wear?

I'm running Military Surplus tires anyway from Trail Worthy Fab on here.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Do a detroit locker. Where are you running your daily driver that you need more traction in daily use? IMO a spool on the road is much less controllable. Mess with air pressure first and foremost anyways.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I always figured I would just weld it, and if I didn't like it I'd put in a detroit. :) Have you owned or driven a truck that was welded?

·
Green bastard
6,658 Posts
I have a 95 extra cab f250 powersmoke 4x4 with a detroit in the rear for almost 4 years. It is my dd. To do it again I would weld it and save the $$$. Thats just me. Steering box and tire wear, really? If you are worried about that, you should also be concerned on how much youre mpg's will change. My fronts have more on them than the rears but, I spin the rears alot cause I drive like a jackass.

·
Registered
561 Posts
i would say don't do it, on the other hand i've driven mt truck with the rear axle locked up not realizing it. it felt a little funny but i couldn't quite figure it out until i saw my arb was engaged.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have a 95 extra cab f250 powersmoke 4x4 with a detroit in the rear for almost 4 years. It is my dd. To do it again I would weld it and save the $$$. Thats just me. Steering box and tire wear, really? If you are worried about that, you should also be concerned on how much youre mpg's will change. My fronts have more on them than the rears but, I spin the rears alot cause I drive like a jackass.

Did your MPG's drop alot?

·
Green bastard
6,658 Posts
No, sarcasim. Meaning worrying about box wear is silly. If you spend alot of time stopped or barely moving(less than 1)turning lock to lock, I can see worrying but, then again welded or not doing that will cause problems.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts