Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have welded up my rear diff and was thinking about doing the same in the front. It's on a trail only rig with 108in wheelbase. Is it a good idea to have the front welded or not? Any experience? Turning should be a pita

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
If you don't mind the turning radius of a bus, weld it.:D

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can't be any worse than the 132in wheelbase it was before. I just have to back up alot:D

·
Registered
468 Posts
NO!!

I had a buddy of mine with a spool up front in a 2 door s-10 blazer tried to do the duzy trail below Yosemite. Guess who got to be the lock/unlock bitch......Me in the passenger seat!! His wheel base is like 114". Of course the 10" wide wheels with 2" backspace didn't help either but you get my drift.

if anything by a cheapo lockright or something.

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
Re: NO!!

sfazr2 said:

if anything by a cheapo lockright or something.
so you would rather have a busted piece of junk on the trail rather than make a few extra turns??????? strange.

i have run a spooled front for some time. the reason i did was because they are strong and i broke all the other lockers except the arb.

just think of a spooled front as a arb but your compressor doesn't work. :D yes it will be harder to turn and will increase your turning radius but they are inexpensive and don't fail easy

·
Registered
15,131 Posts
weld it!! fi you don't like it you have lost the money you paid in power to run the welder. then you could get a selectable.

Q

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I welded up the front diff on my Montero, but the rear diff is open. It works fine.
I was just wondering about 2 welded/locked diffs and the turning. I'm gonna weld the front this weekend and just see how it works. Thanks for the input

1 - 12 of 12 Posts