1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched.
I read.
I'm just more confused.

What it is: 94 4Runner, 5 spd, 22RE, V6 rear, 4.88 gears both ends, ADD replaced by manual hubs, daily driver.
What I want to do with it: Continue to daily drive and the occasional wheeling to remote campsites and lakes. Snow runs and most anything short of the Rubicon, Hammers, Fordyce, etc. Sometimes I will have my 3 year old daughter with me, so I'm not looking for the most hardcore, but rather the most advantage and reliability while mildly wheeling.
No money in the budget for the SAS and leaf rear, dual cases or lockers. That won't happen for at least 3 yrs.
The question is would it be of any benefit to weld the IFS front to gain any advantage (considering what I'm doing with it right now), or leave it alone?
I will be going prepared with CV's and related parts and tools, but reading the responses in search was about 50/50 to welding as opposed to open.
Many differing opinions and I can't decide. Any new opinions?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Lockers tend to wander side to side in the Ice and snow, make it selecable or leave it open , great for mud, rocks, gravel and deep snow though. good luck

·
Registered
23,371 Posts
I do not recommend welding the front diff for a DD. If you are just looking for more traction on the cheap side, consider installing a mini spool in the rear. They are like $30 and the rear is much better to have locked than the front

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
the benefits is you would get to know your ifs real well because you would be replacing parts on it all the time.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Look for an 80s supra in the junkyards, get one with an LSD rear, will fit your 7.5" front. Cheap and easy on parts, still turns on the trail, with a little extra traction.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts