Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off this may be better suited for the newbie section but not sure...

I am looking to learn to weld to be able to put a TnT Customs truss 1/4" steel onto a front Ford D60 Axle tube 1/2". My wife got me a Millermatic 211 MVP w/Autoset for Christmas and I am wondering if it will be up for the job or should I leave it in the box and return it to buy a larger welder. It is rated up to 3/8" steel but the tubes are 1/2" which is my concern. Also when welding different thicknesses which would you tend to lean towards on settings thinner or thicker as a starting point?

Thanks
-Mallow

·
Registered
667 Posts
The 211 is more than up to the task and is an excellent welder:smokin: Kiss your wife!

Edit-If you are a novice I wouldnt start with welding brackets on your axle FWIW. Check out your local schools for a welding/metal Fab class to take a few nights a week over the winter.

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,986 Posts
The 211 is a great machine. That 3/8" is a single pass weld, it will have no problem welding a 1/4" truss to a 1/2" axle tube. I'd recommend you tackle a few other non-critical projects before you start welding on the axle.

Also, when you do weld the truss, alternate sides and do short beads, or you will warp the axle tubes.

·
Registered
9,898 Posts
As stated this should not be a first project, but the welder will handle the task. You should be spending some time burning all kinds and varying sizes of steel together to get a feel for the welder and get your skills up to par.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah this won't be my first project but I want that to be my end goal and make sure that the welder I get is up to the task before opening it to start playing. I am also looking to take som local classes to get up to speed. My wife never ceases to amaze me....fantastic xmas present. Thanks for all the input.

-Mallow

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Thats the welder I've got. It's a NICE machine. As others have said, that project is no problem. The 211 should handle 99% of anything most hobbyists work on.

·
Registered
11,202 Posts
I'd preheat the thicker metal a bit with a propane torch, that 1/2" will soak up heat like crazy. I tend to preheat the beginning of any critical weld to get uniform penetration throughout.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts