Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sick and tired of paying others to fabricate my shit..... it makes me feel worthless, plus I could have payed for the equipment to do it by now. So......

For those of you who do alot of fabricating.....

If you had around $1200 to get a welder, tubing bender, and chop saw what would you get? I have done bunches of searches and have lots of ideas, but I am looking for some straight up answers with reasons. I think this is a reasonable prospective cost, so give me your opinions.

I think I would stick with a 1.75" die for the bender for now that way I could do cages, bumpers, rocker guards, crossmembers and the like, but if you all have other ideas feel free to voice your opinions.

Thanks

One last thing, if anyone has any shop space in the Chattanooga,TN area that they wanna rent out, please email me

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Well you can get a copuple things for $1200.
I have the same hobart Welder that Flimmy gave you a link to. For a home builder it's a great welder for the price. Now you also have to add on a tank of gas, helmet wire and gloves. You will be in the $800 range real quick by the time you set up to mig. Get the biggest tank you can.
A tube notcher is going to be about $150.
You can get away with a Cheap cut off saw for around $80 at harbor and Northern.
Bender for a manual with two sets of dies will be close to $800 with a stand.
That set up you can fabricate a good cage, bumpers and most things you could want.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Grim Reaper said:
I have the same hobart Welder that Flimmy gave you a link to. For a home builder it's a great welder for the price. Now you also have to add on a tank of gas, helmet wire and gloves. You will be in the $800 range real quick by the time you set up to mig. Get the biggest tank you can.
A tube notcher is going to be about $150.
You can get away with a Cheap cut off saw for around $80 at harbor and Northern.
Bender for a manual with two sets of dies will be close to $800 with a stand.
That set up you can fabricate a good cage, bumpers and most things you could want.
If you looked at the page for the welder you'll see that they give you wire and you can get a tank for $88, gloves a helmet and hammer for $44. So for $688 you can all that and there is free shipping. Get the bender and (1) 1.75 die then make your own stand. Now you can get away without the gas for alitle while and save the $88 and use it for the chop saw. Plus it only cost $25 more for them to fill the tank.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
hobart handler 175 - 575 + gas bottle (150) = 725
harbor freight notcher = 40
pro-tools 105 + 1 die = ~ 475
ryobi chop saw = 150

a little more than 1200 but you got some decent stuff.

I've got a $59 harbor freight chop saw and while it does work. it doesn't have enough amps to get the job done swiftly most of the time.

good luck.

- jack

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Grim Reaper said:
why not use it flux core and save money by not having a tank, itll burn hotter too

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I just bought that Hobart 175 yesterday at the local welder dealer for 510 bucks I got the welder, full tank,and cart for 758 bucks. Got it wired up today and it makes my Century look sick. Can't wait to cut some stuff off of the front bumper and weld my new hoop on .I did go with the cheap pipe bender so the curves are flattened somewhat. That was with the tube full of sand also, but the smaller tube for the rocker guards came out good.:D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Currently I'm using a Lincoln AC225 arc welder that my dad had. I picked up a cheap Harbor Freight 14" chop saw for $50 that has worked well for light duty stuff (I'm sure heavy use would kill this saw over time). I also have a JD2 model 3 bender with 2 dies that ran me about $650 shipped. I made a mount for it that goes into the receiver hitch of my truck. Has worked great so far.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for all of the replies

keep em coming

I can't wait to do my own stuff

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
JD mod 3 bender or pro tools 105 bender

and a Lincoln 175 Mig and you are good to go,
i have the lincoln SP 135T and i'm happy with it however it's only 110 and 220 would be nice at times,

and Makita chop saw.;)

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
MASTER_of_DISASTER said:
what the least expensive tubing bender setup you can get that can work?
Is there any chance of ever finding one used?
jd2 model 3 or the pro tools cheaper bender... both run pretty much the same

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
MASTER_of_DISASTER said:
what the least expensive tubing bender setup you can get that can work?
Is there any chance of ever finding one used?
Get your Bender from pro tools mb105 Bender run ya $250. 1-3/4 240 deg die $200 make your own stand Rockbuggysupply Alan will set ya straight for your bending needs.:D

·
Registered
790 Posts
Here is what I have coming as we speek....

I have not used them but have done tons of research on here and on the net into what I wanted.

Welder: MillerMatic 210 This welder was a great choice with plenty of power for what I am going to do and I shouldnt need to get anything larger. I think that it is rated 50 Amps.

Bender: Pro-Tools 105 From reading and doing numerous searches I have found that the quality of this bender basically is the same as the JD 2 and you can get them in a short amount of time (most are ready to ship). The JD2 has a wait involved and I hate waiting....Oh and got my Pro-Tools from www.rockbuggysupply.com great guy and great service!

Waiting to decide on a tubing notcher

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Do you know if rockbuggysupply has a die for pipe? I think I'm going to go with 1 1/2 sched. 40 if the SS falls through.

·
Registered
32,458 Posts
MASTER_of_DISASTER said:
why are dies so expensive?
ive though ive heard some people say like 70 bucks a piece for a dies???
I've never seen a die for $70. More like $170. The dies are big ol' chunks of machined metal.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts