Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking at buying a Lincoln Weld Pack 100. It is a 100 amp flux core unit with a 20% duty cycle. Will this be enough to to cages, bumpers etc. It seems to be the best choice in my $300 price limit. Any feedback will be helpful. TIA.:)

·
Premium Member
3,149 Posts
For the price limit of 300 thats about your best deal, I had one it worked fine for what it was, just don't try to do the big stuff...

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TPIJeep said:
For the price limit of 300 thats about your best deal, I had one it worked fine for what it was, just don't try to do the big stuff...
What do you classify as big stuff?

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
IMO i would save up for a bigger welder (i.e. a Hobart 175 or bigger) to do cages and bumpers. Or if you are looking for something cheap then get a good stick welder and practice, practice, practice! (YES! It is possible to have a good weld if you use a stick welder! :D ) That is my $0.02 worth.

*Sam*

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
motorhead72k5 said:

Elaborate.
It's too small for 75% of the fab work on a truck. You will quickly out grow it and be frustrated that you spent the money on it. If your set on a tiny welder get your weld pac 100 used:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2514792291&category=34099
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2312000382&category=11704

Or eat poorly and have no :beer: for a month and get a 130 at least it will cover about 60% of what you will need.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2513829843&category=34099
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2513829646&category=34099

In general 110V welders just don't cut it!

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
If you turn it up all the way to weld 1/4 inch it will bog down, big time. Its kind of like running 44s with 3:73s Just not enough power. My .02 Spend a few more $$ and get a bigger one.

Old Scout said it better......

·
Registered
88 Posts
Old Scout said:

It's too small for 75% of the fab work on a truck. You will quickly out grow it and be frustrated that you spent the money on it. If your set on a tiny welder get your weld pac 100 used:

I totally agree with this...you need at least 135 amps to do the kind of work your wanting.

I use the ESAB MigMaster 251 that puts out 300 amps MIG and wouldn't trust anything under 175 for the kinda abuse these trucks go thru...save your money or look around town and fine some welding shops..I got the one I have for 1300 bucks in the box brand spankin' new.

MVM

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Old Scout said:

In general 110V welders just don't cut it!
That's one of my problems. I am in a rental that is wired for 110. I could get a 220v but it would do me no good if I can't plug it in.

·
Registered
54,554 Posts
my brother has a century 150 it's 110(i have the same unit) he has welded 1/4" with it he says the only down side is the duty cycle you have to wait to weld while doing thicker plate but while waiting you can grind your welds, drink beer or set up the next weld you can see this unit at grizzly

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have been using one of that exact machines for over a year on everything up through 3/16" and it works great. For anything bigger than that I use a miller classic that is 210 amps or a migmaster like mentioned above. My favorite is the migmaster by esab because of its duty cycle.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
There is no way I would trust a rollbar welded with that. Weld up bullet holes or weld exhaust with it but not bumpers or rollbars. 135 is the minimum but 150 would be better.

·
Premium Member
3,149 Posts
I had a 100 and a 155.... now that I got a miller 210 I will never understand why I wasted my money on the little ones...

3/16" was pushing it for good penetration.... as far as roll cage fab you would be asking for trouble..

BTW. it took me about 15 min to install a 240v outlet pigtailed out of my fuse box.

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
TPIJeep said:
I had a 100 and a 155.... now that I got a miller 210 I will never understand why I wasted my money on the little ones...

3/16" was pushing it for good penetration.... as far as roll cage fab you would be asking for trouble..

BTW. it took me about 15 min to install a 240v outlet pigtailed out of my fuse box.
Maybe I will look around for a used one in the 150 amp range.

As far as the outlet goes, the garages are side by side in the alley. I don't even know where the fuse box for them is, but it is not in mine.

·
Premium Member
3,149 Posts
Do you have a dryer outlet? Is it anywhere near the shop? if so make an adapter and run an big ass cord from there to the shop.. My Miller runs on a 25 foot cord..

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
TPIJeep said:
Do you have a dryer outlet? Is it anywhere near the shop? if so make an adapter and run an big ass cord from there to the shop.. My Miller runs on a 25 foot cord..
Nope, I live in a 4-plex. The garages are under the neighbors place and there is no 220 there. I would need 100 ft of cord to run it off my dryer.

·
Premium Member
3,149 Posts
motorhead72k5 said:

Nope, I live in a 4-plex. The garages are under the neighbors place and there is no 220 there. I would need 100 ft of cord to run it off my dryer.
Damn dude... I am trying here.. :(

·
Registered
438 Posts
Save your money @ get a miller 135,better than a century orcraftsman pro 150 amp. Save money on some of your other tools,but not on your welder spend alittle xtra cash on that for sure.I have amiller175 rated at 1/4 " single pass heck damm near blow holes in1/4 ,So ibet the miller135 rated at3/16 single pass will also damm near blow holes in that.Get a miller @ be pround when it doesnt let you down.Randy85truck gears lockers hysteer jackball

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
TPIJeep said:

Damn dude... I am trying here.. :(
My other option is to have my dad put a 220 in his garage and leave it there.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts