Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I searched and found all kinds of stuff about welding cast but I'm still not sure what I should do.

I broke a 465/205 adapter a while back and would like to weld it up for a spare. So my ?s are :

Is this adapter cast IRON or cast STEEL?
How should my technique vary from 1 to the other?

Can I weld it with my miller 135XP mig? (my only welder)
What wire, what gas?

What should I preheat to and long should I let it cool?

I'm willing to buy a roll of wire to attempt this but I don't wanna pay somebody to stick weld it with nickel rod since its just gonna be a spare.

And if I'm a retard and this can't be done with a mig, tell me and I'll try to gas weld it.

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
that cast is soo saturated with oil you may not be able to weld it without cleaning with heat soundwaves and tricloromethane but I have gotten lucky with a tig and a old 20 case. I would give it a shot, drill a small hole at the end of the crack to ensure it will stop and then fill the crack just like your prom night :flipoff2:

·
Registered
55 Posts
"Try to gas weld it" ???? Have you done this before? The filler you use for gas welding is nasty stuff...but very effective. Last time I used that my nose bled for 2 days. Really nasty fumes and I never used a resperator. A guy I know was prolly one of the best cast iron welders in Canada...companies used to fly him all over North America to fix huge industrial castings. He now sells cars for a living...the fumes from welding cast ate out the lining in his throat and he has serious lung problems. Do a spark test on that adapter. If it has a dirty, short , dull red spark it is most likely cast iron. A brighter, yellow, longer spark would be a cast steel most likely. This you could weld with a mig with proper prep. We weld cast steel with 7018 or LA T-91 on a regular basis.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts