Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, I just finished a cut and turn on one of my spare axle housings. I made one fat pass all the way around with 1/8 inch 7018 welding rod. Looks good to me, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't make another cover pass just to be safe
:confused:
The cutting was done with a 1/8th inch cutoff wheel on a 4 1/2 inch angle grinder. Then I vee'd it out with a 1/4 inch thick wheel to provide a nice area for the weld bead. The bead fills the gap nice and I do have faith in my welding ability. :) It's just that this is the first cut & turn I've ever done and I want to be sure.
Opinions please........ flame on !:D

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I'D BET YOUR FINE FROM THAT DESCRIPTION

AND BUTCH... MAN, I DONT KNOW IF THATS A GOOD IDEA... FOR AWHILE, I THOUGHT THEY ONLY DID THE WELDING ON FRIDAYS, IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN ;)

·
Registered
423 Posts
The way you cut the knuckles loose is exactly how I do mine. when I weld them up I usually run one hot pass in the groove, then a cover pass to make it look all pretty.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I would say that a good hot pass with a fresh box of 7018 should be good, but another one won't hurt anything. Doesn't that 7018 leave a purty bead?

:D

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Sounds like it sould be fine, I did a shit load of cut and turns at the old shop "Wardens". And just filled the "V" notch with one pass with the mig. Looked factory when it was done, and not one came back!:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts